Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
snafustore.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider the following situation:
France and Austria at war. Prusia neutral, not allied not at war with any of them.
Prussia declares war on Hesse. Austria controls it.
Austria move prior to Prussia, and sends the Hessian corps to siege Amsterdam.

I think that per raw it is legal, isn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
Consider the following situation:
France and Austria at war. Prusia neutral, not allied not at war with any of them.
Prussia declares war on Hesse. Austria controls it.
Austria move prior to Prussia, and sends the Hessian corps to siege Amsterdam.

I think that per raw it is legal, isn't it?

Yes, there is no distinction between a minor that you conquer and later free and a minor that you get control of due to a DoW under the RAW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly legal. The killer case is a non-standard starting setup: Austria and Prussia start the game with a pre-existing war, and in the first Dip phase they declare war on "each others" minors. The minors all flip to the other one's control (they are all at +3 or better iirc). Then the war is allowed to lapse, with France facing a perfect Austro-German coalition. First time I saw this stunt the French player had a meltdown...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
snafustore.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had the same between Spain and Turkey : Spain gets Italy, Turkey gets Ottoman Empire, Russia and GB are pissed. (Warren's 1796 scenario) ... uff.. I have to make a report, but as referee I'm overwhelmed, Warren, sorry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I've got too many games under my belt. The "start at war so we can help each other get minors" trick is so old hat that I'm frankly surprised when it doesn't happen. Particularly when you can declare on minors that you don't mind if you or your ally get them (more common in Germany than elsewhere). Then you can even make peace without worrying about a lapse of war and get it over with faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teofilus wrote:
We had the same between Spain and Turkey : Spain gets Italy, Turkey gets Ottoman Empire, Russia and GB are pissed. (Warren's 1796 scenario) ... uff.. I have to make a report, but as referee I'm overwhelmed, Warren, sorry

Hmmm... what is happening in that game? Would love to see a report!

Perhaps the secret to getting reports done is avoiding too much detail. Only the details of really interesting moves need to be there.

We should have another session of the Portland campaign next Sunday. Will try to report it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Twine
United Kingdom
Near Portsmouth
flag msg tools
"You do not stop playing games when you get old; you get old when you stop playing games." - Oliver Wendell Holmes
mbmbmbmbmb
Warren Bruhn wrote:
We should have another session of the Portland campaign next Sunday. Will try to report it.

thumbsupthumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bierschenk
msg tools
I've played a lot of EiA, and I've never seen the Pr/Au mutual declaration against the German minors. I would love to see them do this in any game where I was playing France, though.

This gives a free 4 PP bonus to France (since Fr saves all those declarations). What do Pr and Au get out of it? They get no enhanced military capability (since the Pr/Au alliance barely has enough leadership to control their own starting corps, they can't effectively add these understrength and lower average morale forces to their own forces). If the minor corps fight on their own, they're easy speedbumps for the French army, handing over even more PP to Fr.

Pr/Au will only, very briefly, get economic benefits from the minors until Fr snaps them up with no declaration. Pr and Au would be crazy to do this, but if they want to, Fr should welcome it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kajmakchalan wrote:
I've played a lot of EiA, and I've never seen the Pr/Au mutual declaration against the German minors. I would love to see them do this in any game where I was playing France, though.

Although I agree with the general tone of your comments, I have seen games where the first war doesn't start out of the gate (for reasons I have never fully understood - particularly on the part of France). When that happens, lack of coordination between Pr/Au can occur for declarations on minors.

I've also seen a few games where Austria and Prussia ended up at war early, which changes things.

The situation on the map/diplomatically is always the governing factor. But I'd certainly agree with the general sentiment that Pr/Au usually hurt themselves declaring on minors prior to the end of the first war with France.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Bierschenk
msg tools
Ken, I value your perspective on EiA and I find your comments on EiA to be generally very well-thought out and helpful. But on this specific issue, you're all over the map.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kajmakchalan wrote:
Ken, I value your perspective on EiA and I find your comments on EiA to be generally very well-thought out and helpful. But on this specific issue, you're all over the map.

I see your pun, and raise you a double entendre! 10 paces, sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar Oliver
Saint Lucia
Terrassa
Catalonia
flag msg tools
snafustore.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
perfalbion wrote:
kajmakchalan wrote:

I see your pun, and raise you a double entendre! 10 paces, sir!

Gentlemen, be civilizated and use the sword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.