H W
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another cheap find on Amazon.de that has no in-game text, Tobago!

It's selling for 21,98 Euro at the moment, with 3,23 Euro on shipping to the UK.

Provided your bank doesn't charge you a commission for foreign currency conversion (on top of the already stacked-in-their-favour exchange rates), it should be about £23/24... still a way from the £37 Amazon.co.uk is charging, and ~£35 the independents have it online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good spot, thanks very much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Brien
United Kingdom
Reading
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Worth mentioning, I got offered an Amazon Currency Converter to charge me in sterling, rather than get credit card conversion fees. Is this a new thing? I haven't seen it before...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H W
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
strayjohno wrote:
Worth mentioning, I got offered an Amazon Currency Converter to charge me in sterling, rather than get credit card conversion fees. Is this a new thing? I haven't seen it before...

Is that part of Amazon? If so, I'd say go for it: it's rare for credit and debit cards not to charge a conversion fee. Of course, Amazon's conversion rate could be better or worse than your bank's.

The only reason I keep an old card with crappy interest and no interest-free period left is because they don't add a charge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Burdett
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
I SHALL DESTROY ALL THE CIVILIZED PLANETS
mbmbmbmbmb
Damn you! I've been holding off on these amazon.de deals for so long. You finally broke me.

(23.15 GBP for my transaction, in case anyone's interested.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Serena
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
strayjohno wrote:

I used that already years ago. Well, of course the other way around. I don't know if you actually save money that way, but it's nice to know how much you actually spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Somerton
United Kingdom
Aylesbury
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a great game.....good find!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most credit/debit cards load the conversion fee into the exchange rate - so it doesn't appear on your statement as a 'fee' - very sneaky.

There are some credit cards that have a true 0% on exchange rates. More info here: http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money#h...

Great find btw - I've bought so many games from Amazon.de now that I'm beginning to understand quite a lot of German

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very good find. Note, ALL Zoch games have English rules inside the box. It doesn't matter if you get the German edition, it's totally playable when you open the box.

I was tracking Tobago to go under 20€, as it has been down to 19.99€ twice before, but this is still an excellent price. It's a very clever game, and should have won the SdJ that year. The rules miss some clarity, so read up the FAQ or the rules queries. For example, the one/two hex steps from palm trees, huts or idols do not include the sea, so you count hexes that are across the little inlets. It seems counter-intuitive at first. I think they did re-write the rules, so maybe in this edition the rules are clearer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great find.

I'd been looking for this for a while, and though I know I can't justify the purchase, it's bought.

The worrying thing however, was that just at the "go to final payment", up came a list of things I may be interested in, and they hit one right on the head, Troyes for 24.99 EUR almost sank my wallet, but I read the fine print (it wasn't directly from amazon.de, so the shipping would have been another 11 euro) so still cheap, but no longer a steal.

Cheers for posting the original offer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Williamson
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been very good and not been tempted by the offer of Tobago... unfortunately, the trip to Amazon.de did cause me to buy Uluru: Neuer Tumult am Ayers Rock; Cheating Moth; and Ghost Blitz. Doh!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H W
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
feign wrote:
but I read the fine print (it wasn't directly from amazon.de, so the shipping would have been another 11 euro) so still cheap, but no longer a steal.

Yeah - there's a couple of great deals if you live in Germany, but the shipping goes through the roof for overseas shipping.

Amazon.de has a Thurn and Taxis bundle (game + 2 expansions) for 30 odd Euros + 7 eu delivery... which turns into 26 euros devlivery to the UK. Still a good deal, just much more than I wanted to pay at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Newman
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Very good find. Note, ALL Zoch games have English rules inside the box. It doesn't matter if you get the German edition, it's totally playable when you open the box.

Lol im glad you said that i got all excited and ordered without even thinking about whether it would be english

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Cosgrove
United Kingdom
Bury St Edmunds
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I was tracking Tobago to go under 20€, as it has been down to 19.99€ twice before, but this is still an excellent price.

Eerily, my camelcamelcamel setting was 19.99 euro also!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H W
United Kingdom
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
w92viking wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:

Lol im glad you said that i got all excited and ordered without even thinking about whether it would be english

I'll only ever post games in English, or universal (no in game text).

From the price of some of these games though, it might be well worth learning German!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Punk Rock
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompa wrote:
I have been very good and not been tempted by the offer of Tobago... unfortunately, the trip to Amazon.de did cause me to buy Uluru: Neuer Tumult am Ayers Rock; Cheating Moth; and Ghost Blitz. Doh!

Ghost blitz - Awesome game. I also bought this from Amazon.de a while ago and can confirm it comes with English rules.

I've started to dabble in the non-english games on there now (such as the Alhambra family box) since you can just print out the English rules and they are exceptional prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.