Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Myth, Story, Act, Quest: How work they together and how pre-built are they? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

thinking about backing Myth so I read a little bit through the Myth Kickstarter site...

Quote:
A complete game in Myth is called a Story. Each Story is played over three Acts. Acts can be played sequentially, or can be split up over three different game sessions

Ok, that's hopefully easy. Myth has stories and stories are separated in acts. If I look at Descent 2nd Ed. I have a campaign separated in quests which are sometimes splitted in two parts.

So if I think about a story in Myth is this the same as a campaign in Descent 2nd Ed.? And if I think about an act in Myth is this the same as a quest in Descent 2nd Ed.?

And how are the quests working together with the stories and the acts? Are they part of the acts? Or are they something that goes with the story and is something 'above' the acts?

Quote:
Myth setup offers players the freedom to experiment and create the Story they want. Each Act is created by placing the double-sided World Tiles in any configuration desired, then each tile is populated through random card draws (or by choice). Enemy-types, quests, treasure, merchants, and events are all variables controlled by players. Each Story is unique and breathed to life by the players.

Ă„hem, so there are no predefined stories included in Myth and the players decide how the stories will be? Or shall this sentence only explain how variable the game is? And if there are predefined stories in the game, how many are they?

Questions over questions and I hope someone can explain the relationsships a little bit...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll try an give the best explanation I can, but I really suggest you watch the Extended Play videos (either in the KS updates or here in the game's video section). The first one lays out how the different quests work together.

Having said that, here's what I managed to cobble together:

The game comes with a quest deck that is divided into Story Quests, Act Quests and Chapter Quests.

At the beginning of the game, you draw a Story quest (either randomly, or you can choose one). This gives you an overall goal, and something to accomplish in each of the Story's acts.
After drawing the Story Quest, you draw and Act Quest. This will be something that you will have to accomplish throughout this act. If at the end of the act, you did not accomplish this, it does not carry over to Act 2 (or 3). These can also be drawn randomly, or chosen if you want to try a specific one.
You will then set up the first tile (the story/act quest will give you guidelines as to how to set up the tile, what enemies to use, etc. But some of it is left up to you to decide). Some tiles (the large 12x12 ones) will instruct you to draw a Chapter Quest out of the deck. These are small quests that occur on the tile you're currently playing, and only on that tile. Success and failure of these quests may lead to unlocking Quest Chains - which are additional story quests to preform during acts 2 & 3 that continue the narrative of the chapter quest.

Once you finish Act 1, you'll either call it a day and continue with Act 2 next time, or you can carry on straight away.
You will move on to the Act 2 section of the Story Quest you drew, draw another Act quest and possibly another Chapter Quest (depending on what tile you start on and/or whether you unlocked a quest chain in Act 1).
Repeat for Act 3, which also finish the Story Quest.

Then you're free to select another Story Quest and start the whole thing all over again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grim Reaper
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understood Myth gives you a guideline that you will use to develop your 'version' of the story whereas games like Descent have pre-defined 'quests' where the tiles, monster etc. are all fixed.

In other words: in Myth you can (within the suggested guideline boundaries) choose what board tile or monsters you will set up in order to create your personal version of the story every time you play.

I suggest to read the following threads - they contain lots of information from the MERCS guys:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/953983/how-story-driven-is-t...

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/961001/new-information-on-ho...

Edit: Regarding your question of how many stories come with the game (from Brian Shotton):
Quote:
So the Base game comes with 40 quests. 5 Story, 20 Chapter, and 15 Act.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimzim wrote:
Regarding your question of how many stories come with the game (from Brian Shotton):
Quote:
So the Base game comes with 40 quests. 5 Story, 20 Chapter, and 15 Act.

The quest expansion also gives you:

20 more Chapter quests, 8 Act quests, and 2 more Story quests

Plus they have also discussed that there will be rules (as an expansion I believe) for linking the stories themselves together with your classes gaining experience and branching into one of two advanced classes and then further on into a master class.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kormanik
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also worth noting, The quest deck seems to me to be the best suited aspect for fan expansions, wether you do it or you go to the forums. Since you don't have to choose the quest cards at random, you could basically DM your game and play it too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonah Rees
Wales
Cardiff
South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FeelNFine wrote:
Also worth noting, The quest deck seems to me to be the best suited aspect for fan expansions, wether you do it or you go to the forums. Since you don't have to choose the quest cards at random, you could basically DM your game and play it too.

+1 I think the Quest aspect of the game is going to be the easiest for fan expansion and even if it's not something you are interested in doing yourself or don't have the time to do there will be plenty of places to get some fan ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.