Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: An interesting couple of days ahead [Medical stuff] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife (trophywife) has been complaining of an occasional mild pain/ache on the side of her lower right abdomen for a few months now. It finally got frequent enough for her to go see a doctor. After an initial examination the doctor suggested gall bladder problems, and indicated that my wife could have it removed laproscopically. However, a subsequent MRI indicated only two tiny stones in the gall bladder, but also showed evidence of mild diverticulitis.

So, to confirm this second diagnosis (which makes more sense given the location of the pain) my wife will be undergoing a colonoscopy tomorrow (Friday, the 19th). In preparation, last night she took the initial "slow, gently, overnight" laxative, and today I will be picking her up from work at noon so she can start in on the 4-liters (!) of super-laxative she has to drink before going to bed tonight.

(We are both in our mid-50s and she is the first one to have this procedure. I should have one done also, just to be safe.)

Earlier this week she bought an extra 12-pack of toilet paper, and I have distributed its contents among our three bathrooms. That way, no matter which one she is close to when the need strikes, she will be covered.

She also laid in a supply of juice-box-sized containers of beef and chicken broth, since she will be restricted to clear liquids for the next 24-36 hours. The procedure is scheduled for early Friday morning, meaning I will have to drive her there and back again (A Colon's Holiday), and our kids will have to get themselves off to school.

Luckily my wife now has enough vacation time built up that she can spare some to take off a day and a half for the procedure and recuperation.

Anyway, I know this isn't a huge deal, but any medical procedure -- no matter how simple -- always has a small chance of something going wrong. Your good wishes, thoughts, and prayers would be most appreciated over the next couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
“It’s raining tacos, from out of the sky. Tacos, no need to ask why. Just open your mouth and close your eyes: It’s raining tacos!”
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am.
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost forgot:

Poll: Laxative Flavor
Which of these flavors would you recommend to add to the gallon+ of super-laxative?
The available flavor packets are:
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Cherry
26.3% 5
Orange
21.1% 4
Lemon-Lime
15.8% 3
Pineapple
36.8% 7
Voters 19
This poll is now closed.   19 answers
Poll created by claymore_57
Closes: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:00 am
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
claymore_57 wrote:
Which of these flavors would you recommend to add to the gallon+ of super-laxative?
Cherry
26.3% 5
Orange
21.1% 4
Lemon-Lime
15.8% 3
Pineapple
36.8% 7
Voters 19

I would say use whatever she's least likely to want to drink/taste in the future. When I had to do this, I mixed mine with white grape, and now I can't stand the taste of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
いい竹やぶだ!

South Euclid
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
I was literally unable to drink that horrible stuff (mine was Moviprep™). I shoved down the first quart or so, but after that I'd just gag and retch it back up, no matter what I did to dull the taste. I put ice in it, I mixed it with lemonade, I held my nose while drinking it—nothing worked. My doctor said that there are other, less disgusting options for cleaning out one's pipes, but after a year I'm only now gathering up the gastric fortitude to try it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robigo wrote:
I was literally unable to drink that horrible stuff (mine was Moviprep™).

My wife has "PEG-3350". Her friends on Facebook urge her to make sure the stuff is as cold as possible before drinking (no ice may be added, according to the directions) and to chug the glasses of liquid -- sipping apparently allows you to taste it -- so it spend the minimum amount of time on your tongue/tastebuds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
In preparation, last night she took the initial "slow, gently, overnight" laxative, and today I will be picking her up from work at noon so she can start in on the 4-liters (!) of super-laxative she has to drink before going to bed tonight.

Has medical science come no further than this? What the heck have they been doing for the last 10 years or so?

Best of luck btw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: An interesting couple of days ahead [Medical stuff] [poll closed]
My wife opted for the pineapple, so I am going to mix it up and start it chilling right now.

Then I'm going to go shave and shower before she gets home -- I'm not sure I'll have enough time between her flushes to do it later.... modest whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Edwards
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
YA R'LYAH
badge
Phnglui mglw nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah nagl fhtagn! With cheeze!
mbmbmbmbmb
claymore_57 wrote:
Almost forgot:

Cherry
26.3% 5
Orange
21.1% 4
Lemon-Lime
15.8% 3
Pineapple
36.8% 7
Voters 19

This pool is sooooooo appropriate for Chit-Chat, it brings a tear to my eye.

And also a clench to my cheeks.

Hope everything turns out OK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
You know, I actually kind of liked the flavor of my super-laxative. It was lemon-lime. And it got the job done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trophywife started her medical drinking regimen: One 8-oz. glass of "the stuff" every ten minutes, until "...the watery stool is clear, with no solids of any type", which typically takes at least 3 of the 4 liters of PEG-3550.

It wasn't until the 5th dose that she had to "make a run for the border". In order not to miss a dose, we are using the kitchen timer.

After the 3rd or 4th dose, she started making a face and talking like Dumbledore at the Lake of Inferii in HP and the Half-Blood Prince:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"I'm not bad I'm just drawn that way"
United States
North Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oh yeah, it did the job...but we didn't get that delightful beverage cold enough...blech!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"I'm not bad I'm just drawn that way"
United States
North Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Colonoscopy Day...No tail of horror! LOL

I remember, about 20 years ago or so, my ex-husband had to go in for a colonoscopy. They gave him valium before the procedure…and it wasn’t nearly strong enough.
It was NOT a pleasant experience and I, understandably, had been dreading my procedure for several days.

Many friends and co-workers assured me that today the procedure is different and with the anesthesia they use now I wouldn’t remember a thing. Yeah, sure.

So, I get to the hospital this morning – bright and early. Claymore57 and I had just a few minutes of chatting in the waiting room before they called me back to a tiny prep room barely the size of a standard office cubicle with a twin bed in it. The nurses hooked me up to upteen different monitors, blood pressure, heart rate, respiratory, and I don’t know what all and a million questions later they all disappeared – forgetting that they promised me another blanket because it was FREEZING in there.

It was probably 10 to 15 minutes later that the Dr. who was to do my procedure came by, said hi, asked a few questions and said it’d only take about 20 minutes and I would be done. Cool. Two good-humored nurses came by, gathered all the cords and tubes and away we went.

The procedure room was bigger but full of equipment, still cold, and filled will laughter and chatter. My two nurses and about 4 others, including the Dr., were befuddled by the computers. The server appeared to have a glitch…my procedure could go forward, however, results might not be saved. I mentioned that I wanted proof (laughter all around) and was willing to wait.

Finally, my extra blanket appeared – now I was ready, and the computer came up. All I asked at that point was that for everything to be ok and that I wake up. More chuckles. Nurse Melissa, said it was the last I’d see of her and she was right – I didn’t see what any of them did but next thing I knew I was walking up in the prep cubicle!! What? I’m done??
Surely, something was wrong and my, oh my, whatever they gave me to go to sleep – I need more of that stuff for the nights I can’t!! Gold stars to everyone!

Turns out they use the same stuff as what killed Michael Jackson!! Propofol. WELL, I can see why that stuff could be addictive – put you to sleep fast and wake up feeling pretty good. Wow.

So, the results? 3-4 spots of inflammation and a 3mm polyp that was completely removed and sent for biopsy. Nothing exciting. No meds proscribed, return to your normal routine…relax.

I appreciate everyone’s good thoughts, prayers, advice and support. I am a horrible worrywart, and can imagine the worst – which rarely comes to fruition. For the record, my side hasn't hurt since the cleaning of my pipes!
If you are of a certain age and haven't had a colonoscopy yet...better go..you'll never know what happened...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
trophywife wrote:
It was probably 10 to 15 minutes later that the Dr. who was to do my procedure came by...

Man, that screwdriver really does do everything!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Verkisto wrote:
I would say use whatever she's least likely to want to drink/taste in the future. When I had to do this, I mixed mine with white grape, and now I can't stand the taste of it.

HA! I'm late but that is exactly what I would have said. I can't stand the smell and taste of red (cherry) Gatorade anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.