Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, what was mostly a so-so episode turned into a truly top-tier tribal council. I'm usually not a fan of hidden idols making their way back to the game, but it worked out beautifully this episode. Also, props to Malcolm for truly not telling anyone about his idol so it came as a total surprise.

Not sure if this will be enough to save them, but it's a hell of a way to go down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hamzy
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
Ace race, baby!
badge
I, for one, welcome your mouse pointer.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's crazy that he found another idol on the day of tribal council. Or was that just how they edited it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hamzy wrote:
It's crazy that he found another idol on the day of tribal council. Or was that just how they edited it?

Since it was just he and Eddie looking for it, I imagine it was same day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how TC was played and done. Though I am sure there was some edits going on regarding the pause in malcom playing the idol.

What i did kind of like and dislike at the same time. was when malcom showed the second HII they all bunched together and started talking ok what do we do. what now. etc.

I am not sure if this was a "normal" thing for TC which is edited out, but i was under the impression that mostly it was a silent or at least quiet event. I know TC can take hours to go through but it was more of a talkshow type format (not like springer) where you typically don't speak until spoken to or its like lord of the flies where you speak when you have the conche.

in a way i'm glad phillip is gone because he was annoying but i'm not sure if him being gone is enough to shake things up enough for three amigos.

as for voting i'm curious now about the hippish favorite (can't think of name). was it sever distrust/dislike of Fillup! or is he now trying to play the silent swing vote and take power from silence and shadows. The way i see it is that if they didn't play the idols phillip was going home because of him switching his vote. now that could have been a huge play if they didn't use the idols, since the vote fell 4/3/3
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quohog wrote:
I like how TC was played and done. Though I am sure there was some edits going on regarding the pause in malcom playing the idol.

What i did kind of like and dislike at the same time. was when malcom showed the second HII they all bunched together and started talking ok what do we do. what now. etc.

I am not sure if this was a "normal" thing for TC which is edited out, but i was under the impression that mostly it was a silent or at least quiet event. I know TC can take hours to go through but it was more of a talkshow type format (not like springer) where you typically don't speak until spoken to or its like lord of the flies where you speak when you have the conche.

Usually everyone knows how they're voting by the time they get to tribal. Malcolm forcing a last second scramble like that was pretty unprecedented.

I've seen contestants whisper changed votes to each other before, just not on this level.

Quote:
in a way i'm glad phillip is gone because he was annoying but i'm not sure if him being gone is enough to shake things up enough for three amigos.

I found him hilarious this season. The unintentional comedy was off the charts. The man is a legend in his own mind. Watching the Ponderosa video on the site, he held his head up high (mostly by rewriting history as he is fond of doing).

Quote:
as for voting i'm curious now about the hippish favorite (can't think of name). was it sever distrust/dislike of Fillup! or is he now trying to play the silent swing vote and take power from silence and shadows. The way i see it is that if they didn't play the idols phillip was going home because of him switching his vote. now that could have been a huge play if they didn't use the idols, since the vote fell 4/3/3

His name is Erik. He's been generally clueless this season. I think he's just drifting along, but he does have the potential to flip. (Final vote was 4/4/2 do to Erik's "fillup!" vote.)

I'll expect the next episode to be a huge scramble for idols, since they seem keen on putting them back in the game after every use this season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
mbmbmbmbmb
THE

GREATEST

TRIBAL

COUNCIL

EVER!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
they have been keen on putting HIIs back for a while now. I'm not a huge fan of them but they can mix up the game a bit.

yes there are some things the phillip said that are funny, but he was funny at first but generally he's been grating on my nerves.

Overall i do think the show have become overly formulatic in the playing of it or at least the edits. I do think they need something the change up the show overall though.

I thought last season with the 3 tribes was nice and i though that redemption island had potential but it was just not executed well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quohog wrote:
I thought last season with the 3 tribes was nice and i though that redemption island had potential but it was just not executed well.

I'd love to see the three tribe dynamic again. The weakest tribe ends up becoming major swing votes (as we saw with Malcolm and Denise last season).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mechanicsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want happiness by halves, nor is half of sorrow what I want. Yet there's a pillow I would share, where gently pressed against a cheek like a helpless star, a falling star, a ring glimmers on the finger of a hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
quohog wrote:
i'm glad phillip is gone because he was annoying

Me too, the guy is an a-hole
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well another thought about what is/was missing is that there hasn't been a good pecking order challange in a while.

Last one i remember was a few seasons ago with rope cutting for a reward. But if my memory serves those often mixed things up because it gave an element of paranoia in the game. esepcially when you are the bottom rung of your alliance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My thoughts:

1) I gotta hand it to Malcolm for his theatrics. Me could just as easily given his 'hidden' idol to Eddie after the vote and simply offed Phillip, but no, he goes 'balls to the wall' and screws the mindset of everyone by revealing all before the actual vote. Certainly some crazy sh** going on that TC.

2) Too bad he didn't have the courage of his convictions! He said (to the 4th Wall) how much he'd like to keep an idol for the future. As Erik did flip his vote (to Phillip), Malcolm did not need to actually play 'his' idol. You could even see his reaction near the end; he was p***ed at himself for playing it. (Of course, he'd have felt much worse if he didn't play it and Erik just voted for Malcolm like he was 'supposed' to.)

3) I was surprised to see that they followed through with their threat of taking out Phillip. Does anyone think he would have won over a jury? Usually, the obnoxious ones get dragged to the end. Not this time. (Oh, and Kudos to Phillip for telling his tribe to stick with the script, even at his own expense. Still the smart move.)

4) So what's next? No more hidden idols, and still a 6-3 edge IF the others stay aligned. Then again, a switch is more than possible; I wonder if Andrea heard her name bandied about amongst the whisperings.

Still pulling like hell for Cochrane. I'm actually surprised the minority trio didn't get rid of him when they had the chance; if he makes the Final Three, it's hard not seeing him win over the jury.

Should be a fun ride to the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coyotek4 wrote:
My thoughts:

1) I gotta hand it to Malcolm for his theatrics. Me could just as easily given his 'hidden' idol to Eddie after the vote and simply offed Phillip, but no, he goes 'balls to the wall' and screws the mindset of everyone by revealing all before the actual vote. Certainly some crazy sh** going on that TC.

4) So what's next? No more hidden idols, and still a 6-3 edge IF the others stay aligned. Then again, a switch is more than possible; I wonder if Andrea heard her name bandied about amongst the whisperings.

These two points go hand in hand. If you can't find a crack in the alliance, make one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
The band of bros won the battle. But their smugness will mean they will lose the war. Unless all 3 of them make it to the final TC, the jury will be packed full of people who will not have forgotten how they rubbed the double immunity idol play in their faces.

I'm not saying that they won't be worthy of winning it all. But jury members tend to be thin-skinned people who vote not on who the best player was but rather how they got their feelings hurt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
To summarize the 24 April episode in one word:

DELICIOUS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:
erak wrote:
Man, what was mostly a so-so episode turned into a truly top-tier tribal council. I'm usually not a fan of hidden idols making their way back to the game, but it worked out beautifully this episode. Also, props to Malcolm for truly not telling anyone about his idol so it came as a total surprise.

Not sure if this will be enough to save them, but it's a hell of a way to go down.

I don't hate Survivor. I hate people who like it.

Still filing that under "hater". Please find your way to the egress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:
erak wrote:

Hate is such an ugly word. Especially when you fling it about towards people you don't even know.

shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was generally unimpressed with this episode at its conclusion. Not that i was specifically rooting for malcom but i guess i was pulling for the underdogs.

IMO it doesn't make sense for there not to be a flipper at this point. I know cochrane has been built up as a master of the game at least when it comes to the games theory and he was showing that last night pushing the whole it doesn't make sense to flip side. and he was successful with that. But i think i saw it the same way he did and which that was the perfect opportunity to flip and he was talking everyone out of it, which in itself is good gameplay.

by not flipping sherri and erik lost all possibility at power before its a do or die situaion. if they are on the bottom rung they will be out within the next few votes. if one would have flipped it would have been a 4v4 situation at which malcom could have possibly found the last HII and have that going for them. and that way you advence 1-2 places and have the possibility of being dragged into top 3. whereas there is more paranioa and less likelyhood of getting there with an alliance of 6.

I think cochrane is playing a solid game but unfortunatly the way jeff is building him up is going to be his downfall. He is a threat to win. And i would venture to say if the jury vote is based off what we see and what we know then i do believe that he has 2 of the 3 votes locked. so malcom was correct in trying to eliminate cochrine but at this point i think he's in a strong position unless the alliance turns on him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
quohog wrote:
I was generally unimpressed with this episode at its conclusion. Not that i was specifically rooting for malcom but i guess i was pulling for the underdogs.

IMO it doesn't make sense for there not to be a flipper at this point. I know cochrane has been built up as a master of the game at least when it comes to the games theory and he was showing that last night pushing the whole it doesn't make sense to flip side. and he was successful with that. But i think i saw it the same way he did and which that was the perfect opportunity to flip and he was talking everyone out of it, which in itself is good gameplay.

by not flipping sherri and erik lost all possibility at power before its a do or die situaion. if they are on the bottom rung they will be out within the next few votes. if one would have flipped it would have been a 4v4 situation at which malcom could have possibly found the last HII and have that going for them. and that way you advence 1-2 places and have the possibility of being dragged into top 3. whereas there is more paranioa and less likelyhood of getting there with an alliance of 6.

I think cochrane is playing a solid game but unfortunatly the way jeff is building him up is going to be his downfall. He is a threat to win. And i would venture to say if the jury vote is based off what we see and what we know then i do believe that he has 2 of the 3 votes locked. so malcom was correct in trying to eliminate cochrine but at this point i think he's in a strong position unless the alliance turns on him.

You have a good point about flipping, but that applies as much for the 6-player alliance as it does for the 8 remaining players. Sometimes, being the bottom 2 of a six-player alliance is a powerful position. All you have to do is convince the player at position 4 to switch.

I think Erik was ok at this point, but Sherri should've made a move. The only way I can see her winning is if she, Eddie and Reynold are the final three which I don't see happening, especially now that Malcolm's gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
quohog the great
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:
quohog wrote:

You have a good point about flipping, but that applies as much for the 6-player alliance as it does for the 8 remaining players. Sometimes, being the bottom 2 of a six-player alliance is a powerful position. All you have to do is convince the player at position 4 to switch.

I think Erik was ok at this point, but Sherri should've made a move. The only way I can see her winning is if she, Eddie and Reynold are the final three which I don't see happening, especially now that Malcolm's gone.

being on the bottom of a larger alliance is only good if your social game is excellent and you have the jury in your pocket and that fact is not well known. convincing person #4 to switch isn't often a viable strategy because the final 4 are often sucked into their own delusions of being locked in the top 3 or that they will win immunity. and looking at it logicly it would be difficult when at six to leave it to chance of rock pulling or fire building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:

but reality TV is a cancer and watching it makes you stupider.

There is nothing "real" about Survivor in any way. If you watched the show you'd never classify it as reality television. Sadly, to make such a misinformed statement as yours above, from within the closed system you inhabit, it follows that you were either stupid before you watched some reality television, or you chose your show poorly, and your current level of stupidity regarding Survivor is the result.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:
J.L.Robert wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:
erak wrote:

Hate is such an ugly word. Especially when you fling it about towards people you don't even know.

shake

Fair enough.

I hate people's like for it. In all other ways I have no issue with them, but reality TV is a cancer and watching it makes you stupider.

You are still completely failing at this forum. I mentioned specifically in the subject line that people who don't like Survivor (or "people who like Survivor" you little loophole finder you) should stay away, but you couldn't resist, could you.

Basically, look at it this way: imagine if you posted a thread about discussing strategy in Twilight Struggle and, based on previous experience, requested people who didn't like Twilight Struggle to not waste their time in that thread. Now I respond with "I don't hate Twilight Struggle, but I hate people who play it and that kind of game is a cancer on gaming that makes you an idiot". Kinda makes me look like a trolly douchebag doesn't it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik D
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
PomInNZ wrote:

but reality TV is a cancer and watching it makes you stupider.

There is nothing "real" about Survivor in any way. If you watched the show you'd never classify it as reality television. Sadly, to make such a misinformed statement as yours above, from within the closed system you inhabit, it follows that you were either stupid before you watched some reality television, or you chose your show poorly, and your current level of stupidity regarding Survivor is the result.

I'll have to disagree with you on the "real" aspect of it, but I think we already agreed to disagree on that awhile ago, so no need to revisit that topic.

Survivor may be formatted like a reality show, but make no mistake, it's a game show through and through.

(I agree with the rest of your statement though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
erak wrote:

I'll have to disagree with you on the "real" aspect of it, but I think we already agreed to disagree on that awhile ago, so no need to revisit that topic.

Survivor may be formatted like a reality show, but make no mistake, it's a game show through and through.

(I agree with the rest of your statement though.)

Well, my statement discounts the fact that real people are playing a real game, and providing myself and obviously many, many others with real enjoyment. But aside from that and a few minor quibbles, I stand by my hyperbole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PomInNZ wrote:

I laughed when Chiddler came back and pretended he was going to be civil this time around. Yeah right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chips Reynolds
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that Malcolm is out, I am really starting to root for Cochran
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.