Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I understand that when in the King's Chamber and a surge occurs on Nez's tile forcing him to add a spider he would instead add a centipede.

My question is does this happen for the entire game?

We had Collin's group enter the Kings Tunnels and the encounter there had them draw a spider and some roaches. Then Nez group was in the sewers and triggered a surge and it called for a spider. Do you still place a centipede even though Collin's group has left the King's Chambers or do you just move the Hourglass marker?

We continued play ruling only the hour glass moved and no minion was placed in Nez's tile and the encounter card was discarded. Well then Collin's group defeated the spider (moving the end chapter marker) on their tile and shortly after Nez triggered ANOTHER surge but this time the spider was free to be used. We did not place the spider since the encounter card had already been discarded due to the first surge. We just moved the hour glass marker again and kept playing.

Did we play this right?

Thanks for all the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you played it right.

It does seem just a little odd to me as a spot rule for that room alone. Obviously, tying up the spider model for such a long time could make things much less risky for Nez's group, so I definitely understand why the rule is there. But maybe they could have made a universal rule for the chapter where any time one group is fighting one of the large minions (either the spider or the centipede) and the second group spawns the same one, the available alternate spawns instead. Perhaps that was deemed to be too complicated, and they didn't want to bend the minion placement rule too far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Ray!

Quick followup question:

Do you know since they are considered separate parties is a cheese added when it gets to the end of the turn and no minions are on that groups tile? Or is it for the entire board? In Chapter 2 of Lilys tale since they were seperate parties we still added a cheese to the minion cheese wheel when there were only roaches in lilys tile on the board.

This would allow Collin to wait for Nez group before entering the forge with no penalty. Or should they add a cheese to the wheel for each turn they wait?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure you only add cheese to the wheel when there are no initiative cards from any minions on the initiative track. If there is a minion on the initiative track but not on your tile, in chpt 2 then you don't add the cheese. You can then explore the next tile forcing new minion initiative cards to the bottom of the initiative track. This tactic works quite well in chpt 4
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah seemed to work well it was rare that there were never any minions on both tiles. That slows down surges a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you sure about the adding the cheese cause it seems to make it too easy I can now sit and search...and heal before going to the next room. Doesn't seem quite right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty sure, but feel free to search and let me know if I am playing it incorrectly. But I am basing my decisions on the rules as stated.

Edit: speling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems people differentiate board and tile so it looks like you don't have to add cheese. Maybe Jerry will confirm.

On the FAQ document here on BGG it states:

Q: Does the "Time is Short" rule apply when the only minion on the board is one of Lily's roaches?

A: yes

I'm not real sure if that means yes you have a minion on the board therefore you don't add a minion or no her roach doesn't count so yes you would add 1 cheese to the minion cheese wheel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tiles form the Board. But we are talking about the Story Control Board here. And the rules about initiative cards are what determines the cheese being added to the story control board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
Seems people differentiate board and tile so it looks like you don't have to add cheese. Maybe Jerry will confirm.

On the FAQ document here on BGG it states:

Q: Does the "Time is Short" rule apply when the only minion on the board is one of Lily's roaches?

A: yes

I'm not real sure if that means yes you have a minion on the board therefore you don't add a minion or no her roach doesn't count so yes you would add 1 cheese to the minion cheese wheel.

Yeah that seems unclear

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was taking it as it applies so you still have to add cheese to the wheel. However that would mean in chapter 4 that if you have no initiative card on the track for your group then you would add a cheese at the end of the turns on the track. Which would also mean you would add 2 (1 for each group) if there were no minion cards on the board. That would def make the chapter 2 and 4 much harder and it's possible you would be waiting on Nez group for the forge and racking the cheese up on the wheel. Either that or attempt to beat it with just Collin's group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a strict following of the rules in the book is a good way to go here. The board is composed of several tiles (I will grant that this is never explicitly defined, but I think it's heavily inferred). So if one tile is cleared of minions but the other is not, you do NOT add cheese to the minion wheel at the end of a round.

Yes, this does mean that one group could have opportunities for searching without penalty, but I think going the other way would be far too punishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ray is correct. You only add cheese to the wheel if all tiles are free of minions. Yes, this does mean that you could camp out in a room sometimes and heal or search.

If you feel this is to easy, you are free to house rule it. The most important thing is to play the way is the most fun for you.

Think of it this way, the other group is distracting the bad guys, so your group has a little more time to heal and search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will do thanks for the replies guys! This makes chapter 2 and 4 seem a little easier!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lochi Lochi
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Only one spider at the same time even outside the King's Chamber? Now I get why we didn't win this chapter. We managed to get 3 spiders so we failed the chapter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.