Smash Up» Forums » Rules

Subject: Players cannot play actions on this base. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dizdi
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When a base states that "Players cannot play actions on this base" are only actions that say Play on a base affected?
Thanks in advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot play action cards however you may use the actions of minions played...think of them more as abilities rather than actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Alderdust wrote:
You cannot play action cards however you may use the actions of minions played...think of them more as abilities rather than actions.

We've been playing it that you couldn't play Actions ON the base itself but could still play actions on Minions AT the base.

Questioning which one is correct now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Eric said seems correct to me. You cannot play an action on that base that is 'play on a base' but you can play an action that applies to a minion.

I would suggest that if they didn't want for you to be able to play actions on minions at the base it would say so explicitly and not be done in a subtle way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric is correct. That's why we use the term "Play on a base." on those actions that attach to the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pell Bort
Canada
flag msg tools
Technically correct is the BEST kind of correct.
badge
I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream.
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's my next question:

He's got Choking Vines on my Steam Queen. Then I play Ornate Dome on the base (because that's what it said to do and I'm suggestible like that). Ornate Dome says "Destroy all other players' actions played here." Does that get my Steam Queen out of her Choking Vine problem, or is that card not considered "here?" What the hell does "here" mean? If the intention is for "here" to be considered, through the context of the card, as "on this base," then the phrase "on this base" should be used instead as a standard game phrase. If not, then "here" should be defined as "anywhere on, in, or related to this base" and not, say, "in my house" or "in my country of residence."

It's worth mentioning that the FAQ is of no help, as it only adds to my confusion by seemingly differentiating between "on this base" and "at this base." Are they the same thing? Are they here?

WHERE AM I?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am certain that for Ornate Dome, "here" means "on the base Ornate Dome is played on", and that this does not include "on minions on the base".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pell Bort
Canada
flag msg tools
Technically correct is the BEST kind of correct.
badge
I'm a little lad who loves berries and cream.
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes you sure? Is there an authoritative source or similar ruling that you're basing that conclusion on?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Stout
United States
Annandale
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10488660#10488660, question 2, and probably other rulings I cannot remember.

Plus, I have entered all the cards into a spreadsheet for easier searching, and the words "here" and "there" always refer to a base, whether the base already referred to, or the base where the minion in question is located.

(As an aside, I don't know why the FAQ refers to "at this base", since that phrase does not appear on any card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Wootton
Scotland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Here" means on the base. Not on minions at the base.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.