Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This rant is based on a couple goofs in some Baldacci novels, pseudo-spoilers ahead. I actually listen to most of my books now, so I can't even skip ahead (easily) and avoid the nonsense. So I wind up locked up on the inconsistencies.

Here a few of the recent (to me) examples):

I thought about writing this after the heroine was locked in a refrigerator, rocked it enough for it to fall on its side and unplug itself (to prevent the cooling from killing her. Then she cut through the floor into the freezer compartment and fell into it. Come on think a little!

Then this morning there was a car chase. The heroes were in a "nimble" high powered car being chased by an SUV. Then because the roads were too twisty they couldn't escape the SUV. This despite the fact that the conclusion of the chase involved the SUV rolling over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I geus they dno't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
These things have nothing to do with proofreading.

You mean editors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Nobody reads books anymore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
These things have nothing to do with proofreading.

You mean editors.

Yep. And in publishing, editors have been getting laid off left and right as a way for publishing houses to keep costs down. And, in some cases, big-name authors get a "pass" on editing because they are Big. Name. Authors. The house figures they'll make a fortune off the name alone. Never mind if the book is actually good or coherent.

It's all about the $$$.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrankyPants wrote:

What's a "book?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

What's a "book?"

I've got over 1500 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
gedin wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

What's a "book?"

Soooo....telling me how many you have of something defines what it is?... :: blink blink ::
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
gedin wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

What's a "book?"

Soooo....telling me how many you have of something defines what it is?... :: blink blink ::

Soooo....you're telling us that you expect Andy to believe you don't know what a book is?... :: blink blink ::

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
gedin wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
gedin wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

What's a "book?"

Soooo....you're telling us that you expect Andy to believe you don't know what a book is?... :: blink blink ::

No...but I was carrying on with the theme. As a thespian when I am in character it is hard to break out of it...

But my apologies to Andy none-the-less for my snarky response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
...but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind,
badge
...and reaching forth unto those things which are before,...
mbmbmbmb
I figured you were joking, so was I, which is why I posted a...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate it when I get a snarky response and think it's a joke. I was saying I've got a lot of something so there must be something involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
gedin wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:
gedin wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:
gedin wrote:
CrankyPants wrote:

What's a "book?"

No...but I was carrying on with the theme. As a thespian when I am in character it is hard to break out of it...

But my apologies to Andy none-the-less for my snarky response.

I quoted this just to make the quote bigger. Real authors do things like this. Screw spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Gibson
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
I hate it when I get a snarky response and think it's a joke. I was saying I've got a lot of something so there must be something involved.

Didn't mean to be snarky. Just trying to be funny.

To continue with what you were saying, Andy, I have over a thousand comic books myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
I thought about writing this after the heroine was locked in a refrigerator, rocked it enough for it to fall on its side and unplug itself (to prevent the cooling from killing her. Then she cut through the floor into the freezer compartment and fell into it. Come on think a little!

?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The top (refrigerator door) had a chain around it. I tried to make it work by thinking about a side by side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a self-published author and I can tell you the best money I spent in getting my first book out was on my amazing editor. She did an absolutely stellar job, both in line edits (also known as typos) and in overall story edits (what you seem to be addressing).

That said, three typos did manage to sneak past us into the first edition. One was a "the" that should have been cut. The second was an "a" that should have been cut. And the final one was a "was" that should have been "as".

My book designer also had one error in laying out the print version; he added an extra space -- possibly a hard return -- at one point in the word "carry", turning it into "c arry".

It took my mother reading the book to catch these.

The reality is that no one is perfect. Editors are people just like you and me. My wife and I -- both fastidious people -- poured over that manuscript time and again, looking for errors. They slip through. It happens.

As far as the "errors" the OP is citing: they happen. Possibly the author and his editor(s) didn't think they were issues. Possibly other readers didn't think they were issues. We've had complaints from people reading my book that they "don't know what year it is" in a given chapter. Never mind that each chapter title gives the date -- for them it was a problem (I've found a lot of people ignore chapter titles -- who knew?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
The top (refrigerator door) had a chain around it. I tried to make it work by thinking about a side by side.

Getting locked in a refrigerator that has no power will kill you pretty quickly, from suffocation. There simply isn't room for a human being and the oxygen he would need. Real world children have died from trapping themselves in unused fridges.

Even if the refrigerator is powered, the lack of air will kill you quicker than the coolant possibly could.

This goes beyond lazy writing. This is willful ignorance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, he covered the suffocation part. She had a knife that allowed her to cut the seal enough to get some air even with the chain holding the door mostly closed. So he covered that aspect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.