11 Posts

Elder Sign» Forums » General

Subject: A "non Arkham Horror" opinion on Elder sign? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking about getting elder sign to fill the Dice-based slot in my fairly small gaming collection and I've looked over the reviews on this site. I've noticed that almost every review compares the game to its big brother Arkham Horror, which I guess makes sense since they are from the same universe but it seems a bit unfair on Elder Sign.

What I want to know is what people think about this game as a buy for someone who has never played AH, I haven't and don't intend to get AH (not enough time to play a game that long) and I want to know if this is a game I should get. I am a big fan of Lovecrafts books so the theme fits very well. One other thing is that I play a lot with "non gamers" and I'm worried that the perceived complexity of the game might intimidate them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From everything you said in your post, I would highly recommend getting Elder Sign. Basically, it uses a modified 'Yahtzee mechanic' with a very cool Lovecraft theme pasted on. The complexity is perfect for players who are non-gamers.

If you want a step up in complexity but still less than AH, in my opinion, try picking up Mansions of Madness. Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DiLisio
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds perfect for you. I've also never played AH, but I love this. I've also played it with non-gamers, and it went over just fine. I think you'll be very happy with it based on what you said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Denning
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am a big fan of Lovecrafts books so the theme fits very well. One other thing is that I play a lot with "non gamers" and I'm worried that the perceived complexity of the game might intimidate them.

Your non-gamer friends will love that the game is co-op which tends to be quite novel among folks who never really play games beyond Poker, Risk, Monopoly and LIFE. Elder Sign is not complex at all. The designer, Richard, purposely created this game for his oldest daughter who enjoyed games but didn't want something lasting 3-4 hours.

But let me say something about theme Elder Sign and Arkahm Horror are less traditional Lovercraft and more FFG's interpretation of the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

I think this is often misunderstood and folks start post "I really think it is unthematic that you can X, Y, & Z".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Arkham Horror, and I'm a Lovecraft fan, and I like Elder Sign a lot. It shouldn't be a problem for "non-gamers"; my eight-year-old plays it well.

If you buy, be sure to get the 2012 reprint with revised rules and corrected cards. I ended up with the 2011 (as a gift, can't complain too much!), and I'm sure some of those are still floating around in retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MAURICIO FLORES
Bolivia
centereach
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't play Arkahm Horror before buying this, and it has become the favorite game in my group. Every session, this is the killer.

If you don't mind rolling cool dice, it's an awesome game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
Personal LnLT Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't go wrong if you are a fan of Lovecraft, IMHO. I have not played AH myself, so it does not bias my opinion here. Elder Signs is a blast to play, my friends and I like it a lot. In fact, I like it so much, I bought the Android App, too, which allows me to play anytime, anywhere! It plays fast and the complexity is actually not too bad at all. Should be easy for non-gamers to grasp and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played Arkham Horror, I'm a,...moderate Lovecraft fan, and I really like Elder Sign, which I mostly play solo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bioball wrote:
Quote:
I am a big fan of Lovecrafts books so the theme fits very well. One other thing is that I play a lot with "non gamers" and I'm worried that the perceived complexity of the game might intimidate them.

Your non-gamer friends will love that the game is co-op which tends to be quite novel among folks who never really play games beyond Poker, Risk, Monopoly and LIFE. Elder Sign is not complex at all. The designer, Richard, purposely created this game for his oldest daughter who enjoyed games but didn't want something lasting 3-4 hours.

But let me say something about theme Elder Sign and Arkahm Horror are less traditional Lovercraft and more FFG's interpretation of the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

I think this is often misunderstood and folks start post "I really think it is unthematic that you can X, Y, & Z".

Thanks, sounds like I really should get it then

I get the bit about the game not being classic lovecraft but that doesn't bother me, as long a I get some of the references and can explain to people who don't know what some of the different creatures and places are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, I've never played Arkham Horror (and I don't anticipate doing so, given the time and money overhead), but since starting to play Elder Sign, I've read a couple of the "Arkham Horror" novels published by FFG. Without the relationship to the game characters, I'd probably consider them merely passable Lovecraftian pastische. But with the extra engagement rooted in my Elder Sign play, I've really enjoyed them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TImothy Hermanto
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've never heard of Arkham Horror before buying Elder Sign. So far, this game is my cousins' favorite. They love the theme and mechanics. It's amazing how this game quickly became my previously non-gamer cousins' favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.