Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

I've had a copy of the base set for a while and recently got a copy of the saga expansion The Hobbit: Over Hill and Under Hill.

I'm wondering what are some of the best quests either in the sets I have or in any of the adventure packs that are best for solo play?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "best?" Have you completed any of the scenarios you already own yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've completed Passage Through Mirkwood solo, on the second try, but using the starter deck provided. Used to play Star Wars CCG, Star Trek CCG, and Magic:TG but new to LOTR and LCGs in general.

I like the idea of deckbuilding but dont exactly know a good way to go about it. Seems I could build a deck to compete against a specific scenario or quest, but seems like thats not the general idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John R
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Ninjadorg's starter scenarios, available in the downloads section of the BGG LOTR page. Great way to learn the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Leo
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
As far as building a deck goes, there are a bunch of helpful resources at sites like TalesFromTheCards, as well as FAQs on this very board. Some people prefer to tailor their decks to the demands of a given scenario, some pursue the "One Deck to Rule them All" mentality. I'm more of the latter, but there's room for all sorts, especially in solo play.

Passage Through Mirkwood is a good solo quest that you'll find gets quite easy once you know what you're doing. Journey Along the Anduin is rather challenging (I'm a fairly strong player and deckbuilder and still fail it about 50% of the time). Escape from Dol Guldur is ridiculously hard in solo mode. Out of the dozen times I've attempted it, I only beat it once. The Hobbit expansions are pretty difficult, though the new cards offset that a lot. It might be wise to look into buying some adventure packs to get some simpler adventures first. The Mirkwood Cycle (especially Hunt For Gollum, The Dead Marshes, and The Hills of Emyn Muil) provide a variety of quests and player cards. A Journey to Rhosgobel, Return to Mirkwood, and Conflict at the Carrock have good player cards as well, but the quests are rather difficult.

My opinion is that the Dwarrowdelf cycle and the Khazad-dum expansion are much more well-rounded, and those packs provide a variety of player cards as well.

My favorite quests for solo play would be the following: Road to Rivendell, Foundations of Stone, The Long Dark, The Dead Marshes, and Over the Misty Mountains Grim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://talesfromthecards.wordpress.com/2012/12/17/new-player...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Cole
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:

This is almost exactly what I was looking for! Thank you everyone for the input, I will continue to look at replies though because I am so fresh I can use all the help I can get getting into this game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.