Popular Tags: [View All]
David Oldster
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does every game play like "big initial push by the South, if that works, South wins, otherwise Union builds up and inevitably crushes the South"?

Or is there more variability in the game play and strategies so that it is a (relatively) even contest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there replayability? Holy crap, you bet. I've been playing this for over ten years and the current game being played on-line by Nik and Gordon contains moves and situations I've never seen before. I have said over and over and over, every game tells its own story. The characters do things that they might have done historically, but a completely historical game is VERY rare. In Lincoln's War everyone has a chance at being a hero, even timid or reluctant folks like Polk, Bragg, McClellan and Banks.

Oh and by the way, the BIO BRIEFS that were requested are coming along nicely. I have about 25 more to do and I'm thinking they will offer much to the story-telling aspect of the game, now that players have a better idea of what a character actually did in the war, the comparison to what happens in the game is a whole lot more interesting. Can't wait to share it with y'all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Moore
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hmmm . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Windsor
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How has the "turtle" strategy fared for the South? Can the South let the Northern forces come to them in the hopes that Northern will simply breaks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon J
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Print and Play Gamer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so glad you are doing the Bio-Briefs, those will be fun to read. Sure one can google each personality in the game, but hey, I'm lazy sometimes and its nice to have the designer's thoughts point of view of those people.

I was kind of feeling bad there for a little bit in the game we are playing that I had Southern armies in the North so much, I didn't want to skew people's perception of what this game is, but as can be seen in the current situation that the South is in a bit of a pickle at the moment because of our extended stay in the north.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike. Absolutely. It behooves the South to do so, with the possible exception of Missouri where it is to their advantage to go for points and tie up Union resources.

Dunno if you have been watching, but today was a banner day in pledges, we jumped over $1500 and are on the cusp of 33K. Those stretch rewards are getting closer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Morris
United States
Raytown
Missouri
flag msg tools
2nd, 6th and 7th Wisconsin, 19th Indiana, 24th Michigan
badge
24th Michigan Monument Gettysburg Pa
mbmbmbmbmb
Poniske wrote:
Is there replayability? Holy crap, you bet. I've been playing this for over ten years and the current game being played on-line by Nik and Gordon contains moves and situations I've never seen before. I have said over and over and over, every game tells its own story. The characters do things that they might have done historically, but a completely historical game is VERY rare. In Lincoln's War everyone has a chance at being a hero, even timid or reluctant folks like Polk, Bragg, McClellan and Banks.

Oh and by the way, the BIO BRIEFS that were requested are coming along nicely. I have about 25 more to do and I'm thinking they will offer much to the story-telling aspect of the game, now that players have a better idea of what a character actually did in the war, the comparison to what happens in the game is a whole lot more interesting. Can't wait to share it with y'all.

There is a train of thought that there are two halves to studying the American Civil War. One is to study the battles aka who shot who. The other half is to study the people who were not on the battlefields but still had a major influence on how the conflict resolved. In terms of wargames on the conflict up to this point they have gone at the subject from the vantage point of who shot who. The civil war is simulated with a few exceptions from only the military vantage point. However you can not truly simulate historically the civil war at a strategic level from that vantage point anymore than you can the Vietnam War. The social and political events had to much influence on the battlefield to be completely excluded.

From what I have seen so far this game takes on the conflict from the other direction or at the very least a balanced approach. Rather than having the military aspect alone drive the game it's the people that drive Lincoln's War. You look at the cards for this and you see names like Joseph Brown. Joseph Brown was an interesting character and a major pain the the butt for Jefferson Davis but you don't see this guy in other civil war games. That's what I see in Lincoln's War that caught my attention the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.