Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Mayer
United States
Teaneck
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm working on a new rulebook. I don't think I'll be revising the current PDF that's out there for the print-and-play version. Instead, I'm working on a new draft that's another step closer to the final retail version. I will put it up when I'm finished, even though the examples may not line up exactly with the PnP files. I'll also be uploading a pdf of the new upgrade cards for your enjoyment. They're very ink heavy, though, so you may or may not want to stick with the old wireframe upgrade cards.

Anyway, I revamped the Priority Phase to finally solve a nagging issue, and to give it a bit more oomph. And since the new rulebook will still be a little while in coming, I thought I'd post it for you guys to incorporate the change right away.

The Priority Phase is the final phase of each round. This is important to remember because the first thing that happens in the beginning of each round is you can get an influence token or an income of credits.

In the Priority Phase, each player may rearrange the ships in his or her fleet into a new Priority Order. The small change here is that the Flagship is no longer always first priority. You can rearrange the order to make your other fleet ships go first if you want. Each player does this in turn order.

Once all the players have rearranged their ships, they can now bid on becoming the first player in the next round. Turn order always proceeds clockwise from the first player. It would be handy to have a little token to mark who is currently first player. We use a dealer button from our poker set.

If no one bids, the first player stays first player.

Bidding works like this: Each player, starting with the first player of the current round, elects to bid a number of influence tokens to nominate someone to become the first player in the next round. Note that you may spend your tokens on another player's behalf. You don't have to nominate yourself. If you pass, you are out of the bidding. Each player gets only one chance to make a bid, so think ahead. Bidding proceeds clockwise from the first player of the current round. Once you've bid tokens, they are used and no longer available, even if you lose the bidding. Remember that you'll get one back next round. Whomever has the most tokens bid in their favor becomes the first player starting next round. In the event of a tie, the tied players roll the d8. Highest number wins.

There are a couple more minor changes I'll blog about soon, but this is the biggest change to the game. I believe it adds a bit more strategy and mitigates the last player disadvantage. Turn order is very important and this is the solution I like best toward making things a bit more fair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.