Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
The Dust Warfare campaign books.

What are they?
The campaign books are extensions of the Dust Warfare: Core Rulebook. Dust warfare using the same miniatures as Dust Tactics, they have to update the core rules periodically to include new units released and the new abilities and weapons that go along with them.

Each campaign book also include several new rules and options that adds to the core Dust Warfare experience. Think of them as rules expansions that also include the statistics for new units. Each of them also comes with a bit of storytelling explaining the Dust Universe a little more each time.

What's great about the campaign books? thumbsup
They provide a way to get the statistics and new rules associated with new units for a relatively low cost (around 20$ MSRP) without having to buy a new edition of the core rulebook.
They also provide a way for FFG to release new rules and scenarios periodically to keep the game fresh.

What's bad about the campaign books thumbsdown
With now 3 campaign books and the core rulebook, the stats for units and the rules are all over the place and it becomes a reference chore.
- "I'm firing my Tesla gun. How do they work again? It's been a long time since i played those."
- "They were released during Hades i believe."
*flips in the Hades campaign book*
- "Ok, here they are... i need to roll this and that"
- "I'm going to react to your attack before you roll by attacking you"
- "Ok, wait a bit, this unit can also be entrenched. I can't find the entrenched rule in Hades"
- "It's in Icarus"
*switch book to Icarus*

FFG's going to need to release an updated version of the core ruleset that will include all the rules from their various campaign books at some point. I know i'd buy it just to prevent having to carry 4 books everywhere...

Campaign book Icarus:

Campaign book Icarus is the third campaign book released after the core rulebook. It includes the stats of all miniatures that were released during the Icarus "wave" of Dust Tactics. You get such units as the allies and axis airplanes and the SSU portable artillery and tesla guns.

- The book include some background material about the (never-ending) Sverograd campaign in the Dust Universe.

- Included are the aircraft rules (that were also included in the Sverograd campaign book).

- You'll also have the obligatory rules for the various new abilities and weapons for the new units.

- A few more platoon upgrades.

- You'll get an alternate game set-up rules to those found in the original core rulebook. You assign points to aspects of the terrain, scenario, etc. and the results of the points combined with your opponent will tell you which kind of scenario you are playing.

What's good about Icarus: thumbsup
The update on units, special abilities and weapons. I suspect that in Icarus's case, this may be the only real reason to buy this book.

The alternate scenario set-up rules. A bit of variety never hurts i guess. We don't usually play with those rules anyhow so it's a bit of a "don't really care".

What's bad about Icarus: thumbsdown
- The background fluff. More pseudo-historical troop movements and deployments like the one found in the Hades campaign book. I don't really like those dry description of battles in a game in a fictional universe. Make at least those described battles engaging. I don't want to know that the Allies successfully managed to gain half a square kilometers of airfield space. I want to know that a faction has won the city and that it brought them some super weapon that will be released soon... or an incoming message from the Vrill aliens or... something of consequence really.
We get a small description of Victory, the allied super-hero. Again like Winter Child in the Hades book, it's mostly a repeat of what's in the Icarus box set that came with the miniature in the first place.

- Where's the actual content? This seems like a unit update with tons of filler material to make the book look like a book and not a pamphlet.

Conslusion:
At his point, i believe the campaign books are not really worth it. This is easilly the worse of the three campaign books. It seems to me as if FFG has run out of ideas for rule expansions to their Dust Warfare game.
They are like a necessary book to bring the stats for the new units and their abilities/weapons but aside that, there's not much else interesting in there.
This Icarus book in particular doesn't bring anything trully interesting. Remove the boring Sverograd backstory (can we please stop with Sverograd? It's been fun, but i'm ready for a new setting after three waves of minis in that same city), remove the unit upgrades and what's left are a few pages of platoon upgrades and alternate rules for game set-ups that we never play with (though this may not be your case).

I bought this book, skimmed over the background story, looked at the new rules and stats of units and i was mostly done reading it in about an hour... There's not enough new material in there in my opinion.
Campaign book: Sverograd was a great book that brought a new faction and tons of new information and new exciting rules. Icarus doesn't offer much in comparison.

Again in my opinion, maybe FFG should have provided a binder for the core rulebook (like the game Advanced Squad Leader has) and provided sheet updates to add to the base binder as new units and rules are added. We'd have a single binder for everything Dust Warfare, organized rules where every platoon upgrades would be in the same section (and not in 4 separate books) and every unit for every faction put together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deedob wrote:
With now 3 campaign books and the core rulebook, the stats for units and the rules are all over the place and it becomes a reference chore.

Aren't you using the fan-made unit cards that are out there? They include the special rules on them and all stats - no need to look up things in the books. They're actually another reason why the books can be pretty unnecessary. Still, I like them for the pretty pictures. My 2 year old son likes looking through these books - he has most of the unit names memorized now. :-)

OH well, sad to hear there isn't that much in the Icarus book. I was afraid as much - the campaign books keep getting smaller by a dozen pages each time a new one comes out - they really will just be expensive pamphlets at the current rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpt. America
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmb
my only complaint about the campaigns in all of these expansions is that there really is no benefit to holding each location...with the xception of a few where you can heal your troops or walkers.....each of the locations should provide some sort of reward or advantage to the faction controlling it...for example, if you control the airfield then you may use 1 aditional aircraft for free beyond the cost of your units for as long as you control that location! or maybe if you control the bridge, enemy troops get a penalty when rolling for purchasing units at the end of a game, ...or whatever...do you see the picture? i think there was little tactical thought given to the importance of each location in the campaign...it would be great if the ssu could get a bonus of some sort by holding their communits party headquarters, and a demoralizing penalty if they lose it! ....that would make this campaign waaaaaay better i think....but anyways, those are my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.