Mice and Mystics» Forums » Rules

Subject: Campaign: Captured Mouse losing item rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Colin has a special item he started the chapter with (his 1 extra item from the campaign rules).
Colin gets captured.
The chapter is completed successfully.

He loses the item permanently after capture right?

Now what if:
The chapter is not completed, but is replayed.

Would you start over with the item again? (Does the game state "save" at the beginning of a chapter kind of like a computer game, or is the group replaying the story twice with more experience)

I realize this second question is a bit beyond the rulebook, and is perhaps up to personal preference. I've had similar questions about other board games in a campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's up to personal preference we just reset back to the way we started the chapter and attempt it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we replay a chapter that is lost, we do reset in back to what the mice had during the start of that chapter. It sucks when you level the mice up and then start again without that new awesome ability.

But this is just a personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Yeah that makes sense. Otherwise you could game the system and focus only on leveling up, not caring if you lose, then restart the Chapter with extra abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Greenley
United States
Harleysville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Greetings Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
If I fail a chapter, I consider my next attempt to be a 're-try' with the same starting setup as my previous attempt. I imagine the full campaign as a contiguous story where only the successes are 'canon'. In terms of the continuing story, the failures never really happened.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herb Leist

Hagerstown
Maryland
msg tools
mbmbmb
RMGreen wrote:
If I fail a chapter, I consider my next attempt to be a 're-try' with the same starting setup as my previous attempt. I imagine the full campaign as a contiguous story where only the successes are 'canon'. In terms of the continuing story, the failures never really happened.

This helps me sleep better as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dolem Thorn
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
And to make it even more complicated I solo every chapter before I play with my son, so I know the chapter-specific rules in advance. So if I beat it, but my son and I lose (or he wants to quit early), it's still a victory for story progression

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolem wrote:
Colin has a special item he started the chapter with (his 1 extra item from the campaign rules).
Colin gets captured.
The chapter is completed successfully.

He loses the item permanently after capture right?

I would consider it to be one of his starting items, and so it would not be lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are captured, you lose any equipped equipment that is not your starting equipment. This means that you lose your saved item, unfortunately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
youperguy wrote:
If you are captured, you lose any equipped equipment that is not your starting equipment. This means that you lose your saved item, unfortunately.

I don't have the campaign book in front of me to check the wording, but if the campaign says that you start with it, I would consider it starting equipment, not saved equipment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
youperguy wrote:

I don't have the campaign book in front of me to check the wording, but if the campaign says that you start with it, I would consider it starting equipment, not saved equipment.

The Rulebook says on p.19: "Mice can keep only 1 search card that they had at the end of the previous chapters. This 1 card is in addition to their starting equipment cards. Mice will always begin a new chapter with their starting equipment cards."

So I guess, "starting equipment" only refers to the items listed on the character card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you lose an item (you began the chapter with) via capture - then you lose it permanently ...if you succeed in beating the chapter.

If though, you lose an item (you began the chapter with) via capture - and then fail to complete the chapter, that's a different story (excuse the pun).

It doesn't specify in the rulebook exactly what must become of the item if you decide to replay the chapter. But our group (as some above also do) plays that you start it over with what you had the first time around - as if the failed chapter never really occurred.

That seems totally legit, and keeps the proper story flow happening
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Alderman
United States
Shady Spring
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Trust me, I am not the Traitor.
badge
For Orcs there is no other life but WAR!
mbmbmbmbmb
Right if you lost an item while succeeding in the chapter its gone for good. If you lost the chapter due to captures or whatever and you replay it you start with the items you had even if you lost it during the chapter defeat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cervantez wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
youperguy wrote:

The Rulebook says on p.19: "Mice can keep only 1 search card that they had at the end of the previous chapters. This 1 card is in addition to their starting equipment cards. Mice will always begin a new chapter with their starting equipment cards."

Note this does not contradict what I wrote.

But okay, you got me to go look it up. The specific wording used in the storybook is "In place of his normal weapon, Collin begins with the Sorrow Blade equipped."

So what I read from that is that the Sorrow Blade is not provided as an "extra" item in addition to his regular starting equipment, but that it replaces some of his starting equipment. If you take it away because Collin is captured and he does not happen to be carrying any other weapon, then he would be unarmed! So I stand by what I wrote above: for all intents and purposes the Sorrow Blade should be considered starting equipment once it has been found.

As it turns out, the issue is moot anyway:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Sorrow Blade is acquired at the end of Chapter 8. Chapter 9 specifically states that Collin starts with the Sorrow Blade. Collin cannot be used for Chapter 10. Chapter 11 specifically states that Collin starts with the Sorrow Blade. So it is not possible to "permanently lose" the Sorrow Blade, because every chapter from the point when you acquire it would restore it to Collin's possession anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.