Subject: If you had (£55 - $80) What solo game would you buy? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... as the title states, I have the said amount as expendable cash..

I play most of my games solo.. I have tried Lord of the rings LCG, death angel and have acquired gears of war today.

I like theme and good artwork in my games, Relic looks great (although no good for singletons) but i may try and get my 9 yr old son involved..

what do you guys recommend?

I was looking at relic, Res Evil, Thunderstone, dominion (solo??), zombiecide, zpocolypse (not so much).. what games do you BGG er's recommend..

so, I am after
1.Solo play
2.Great looking
3.Theme

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game

Hands down wins in every category you are looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris leko
United States
Brooksville
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
What's so great about it?
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game

^ this. Also, get the expansion. It's one of the best solitaire games out there (I prefer it solitaire actually).

I'm also fond of Gears of War: The Board Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Plourde
Canada
Windsor
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
often wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Mage Knight Board Game

^ this. Also, get the expansion. It's one of the best solitaire games out there (I prefer it solitaire actually).

I'm also fond of Gears of War: The Board Game.

X2
Gears of war is in the mail. MK will wait a little.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is indeed a good choice, especially if the theme appeals

I'm loving Thunderbolt Apache Leader, where you command a close air support squadron. You do not need to be a military geek to get it, it plays out more like a movie than a dry simulation

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is a highly thematic game about surviving as castaways on a desert island. Your 9 year old would probably enjoy playing with you as well (it plays co-op too)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of your mentioned list, I can vouch for Res Evil (I've only got the Alliance set at the mo) and enjoy a good session, especially the Mercenary mode, even though that mode is specified as 2 - 4 player, I do play solo and its fun... just gotta be that high score!

Recently got my hands on a copy of Legendary (Marvel DBG) within the UK and that's really good too, very easy to play and ticks all your requirements!

Sticking with card games... Sentinels of the Multiverse... WOW! Many an hour spent on this one... Enough said!

Straying away from card games... Escape: The curse of the Temple. Lasts only 10mins per game but is a frantic and rewarding game, artwork is good if not a little basic, but don't let that put you off!

Whatever you end up getting im sure it will great!!! Don't forget to post what you bought. Looking forward to seeing your choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch Jones
England
Telford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island is great. As is Sentinels of the Multiverse and Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

My favourite for solo is Zombicide.

I'm not a fan of Mage Knight but it does have a lot of followers that love it.

Next on my list is probably Thunderbolt Apache Leader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Waldon
United States
Cobb
California
flag msg tools
Test
Mice and Mystics.

Excellent theme, great story, great artwork and if you want to get your son involved this game is perfect.

The mini's are fantastic however for the price there should have been more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brody Lipperman
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
D6 Desparados
mb
Sentinels of the Multiverse and maybe an expansion or two. It plays very similar to Lord of the Rings, but much less fiddly (and no pre-game deckbuilding).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seriously, turn off Facebook. You'll be happier.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmb

D-Day at Omaha Beach is reprinting in about two months. Well worth a look if you're into a more simmy game.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Crenshaw
United States
Shepherdsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agents of SMERSH

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eðvarð Hilmarsson
Iceland
Reykjavik
Reykjavik
flag msg tools
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
badge
Cthulhu whispers to me when I sleep......
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game did not work for me at first but I was oh so wrong and I love that game today (thankfully I gave it another chance).

I second the recommendation but I would also highly recommend

Arkham Horror

I have spent more time solo with it then anything else I own.

Conquest of Planet Earth: The Space Alien Game is also brilliant as a quick beer and pretzel solo game. I have had alot of good laughs with this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

I have looked over all the games listed by you guys and there are some interesting options..

I have checked out the D&D games on watchitplayed and other sources and it doesn't really 'float my boat'

I am watching Mansions of madness on youtube now and I'm interested in Arkham Horror, it looks like a good game.

I have looked at Sentinals as well, I am ging to find some videos about that too.. I ideally wanted Legendary but cant get it in the UK very easily.

I have just got Gears of War through the post and I'm reading the instructions and setting up the game.. It looks fantastic and hopefully plays well.

I have also looked at Mage knight and it doesn't seem to be grabbing my attention that well.. I will read up on it.

Arkham horror, Sentinals, Legendary, Mansions (solo ?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
United Kingdom
Solihull
West Midlands
flag msg tools
http://www.youtube.com/user/SmoothCJS
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you're not afraid of ebay from well trusted sellers:
http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/310639620634?var=lv<yp=AllF...

From looking at the description, that's actually a listing via him for this shop, if you wanted to purchase through not-ebay.
http://www.gamesquest.co.uk/upd80365-marvel-legendary-deck-b...

I have no idea if that's a reasonable price but well, found it

Don't really know much about solo games to give further suggestions, but Myth will have solo rules available when it's out, although it's a bit above the price you gave and you have to wait...looks awesome though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all..

Decision made, I bought Marvel legendary from Gamesquest for just over £50 delivered.. little pricey but thems the breaks..

I was going to buy Arkham Horror until i found out that the game doesn't include the minis..

So to go with i have GOW and Legendary..

Arkham to follow maybe.. thanks for all you input.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Gustavsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmb
Arkham Horror is amazing, though a would sugest getting a expansion (Dunwich horror) to realy take the game to a new level. It´s a long game though, if that doesnt put you off. Expect 3hours unless thing realy goes wrong/fun.

Ghost stories is realy good, fast and tough.

If money is less of an issue an you like card games, LOTR, LCG, great solo and coop with a friend. but to soon it will take all your money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SmallRobot Painting
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the comments.. As it happens I am still on the prowl for a good game described in the title..

I had legendary and played about 8 games and it just did not do it for me. I guess you need to be more of a marvel buff. I found the game a little simplistic and it seemed I won nearly every game, I just didn't want to try the other heroes and combos (and I never heard of some of them) so, alas, its gone.

I owned LOTR a while back and found it difficult to get through the 3rd scenario, I may go back to that for solo play.

I reckon Mage knight might have to be my next purchase for pure solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc D
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game is great, but I think I like Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island even more as a fun, approachable game without a really long play time. Don't get me wrong: they are both at the top of my list, but the story in Robinson just rises to the top of the experience. Tension, tough decisions, mostly unforgiving, but some great rewards when you thought the island has nothing to offer but despair. I've played twice with my six year old daughter who loves the game (one win, one loss), and who is making informed decisions: not because she's read the rules, but because the decisions make perfect sense with the theme. After our loss today we talked about it a bit and I remembered that we could have built the hatchet and increased our wood production. "Why didn't you tell me about the hatchet? We would have got the 5 wood we needed..."

You won't go wrong with either, Mage Knight is amazing and Robinson is a joy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen OConnor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Glass Bead Board Games
badge
Read my blog
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game that I play solo is Agricola, which is great, and costs around £45.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Hebert
Canada
Granby
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My list of solo games includes:

-Legend of Drizzt
-Castle Ravenloft
-Zombicide
-Space hulkeath Angel
-Lotr lcg
-Mage Knight
-Legendary: a marvel deck building game

And my next one will be Gears of war

I actually love all of them....Mage Knight is awesome..but setup is long and the game also.

The D&D games are great .....and Marvel is easy to learn and fun.

So with your list,i don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SmallRobot wrote:
Thanks for all the comments.. As it happens I am still on the prowl for a good game described in the title..

I had legendary and played about 8 games and it just did not do it for me. I guess you need to be more of a marvel buff. I found the game a little simplistic and it seemed I won nearly every game, I just didn't want to try the other heroes and combos (and I never heard of some of them) so, alas, its gone.

I owned LOTR a while back and found it difficult to get through the 3rd scenario, I may go back to that for solo play.

I reckon Mage knight might have to be my next purchase for pure solo play.

The expansion makes the game harder. The base game is well known fir being too easy when playing solo. Of course, we know more now versus in April.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homo Ludens
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pandemic and Pandemic: On The Brink expansion might be a good option for solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.