7 Posts

Fortress America» Forums » General

Subject: Invasion Zones rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lance klindt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I got a 2 page cheat sheet all done. Question on Invasion Zones 1> if you place units on one Invasion zone they can ONLY advance onto the actual land map.

2>Invaders cannot move up and down on a invasion zone - CORRECT

3>Invaders if they are attacking from the Invasion Zone and the defender gets a Disengage Attack symbol you simple turn that unit over on it's side, NEXT turn it can attack again?

Thanks to any and all comments whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lklindt wrote:
I think I got a 2 page cheat sheet all done. Question on Invasion Zones 1> if you place units on one Invasion zone they can ONLY advance onto the actual land map.

2>Invaders cannot move up and down on a invasion zone - CORRECT

Don't know where you got these two.

Page 12, Maneuvers Action section:

"During his Maneuvers Action, a player can move each of his units on the board to an adjacent territory a number of times equal to that value."

"At the end of the Maneuvers Action, each unit must be in a friendly territory (snip helicopter/bomber counter example) and there can be no more than five units in a single territory (snip bomber counter example). Note: an Invader always treats his own invasion zones as friendly territories for purposes of movement."

This same statement is reiterated on page 14, General Maneuvers Action Rules:

"Players can move military units into friendly territories."

"Each invader treats his own invasion zones as a friendly territory."

Page 17 has a further example clarifying that defenders can retreat into their own invasion zones within movement range on a combat die result of Retreat Defender.

Page 20, Invasion Action section, reiterates the same rules as pages 12 and 14.

You cannot under any circumstances end second movement in an invasion zone that is not your own (and only bombers can be there on first movement), but you can freely move through, into, and out of your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a game where a guy kept retreating his bombers to invasion zones so I couldn't attack them with my lasers. Is this a legal move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlescab wrote:
I played a game where a guy kept retreating his bombers to invasion zones so I couldn't attack them with my lasers. Is this a legal move.

Was it legal for him to move his bombers to invasion zones? Yes.

Would it have saved him? No.

Page 14, Fire Lasers Action section:

"Choose one of the Invader's units of any type in any territory (or invasion zone) that does not contain a targeting marker."

Invasion zones aren't even proof against a regular attack.

Page 10, Declare Battles Action section:

"The U.S. Player indicates a declared territory by flipping the control marker in that territory to the "Combat" side. He can also declare battle in an Invader's invasion zone by placing one of that Invader's control markers in that zone with the "Combat" side faceup."

Having said that, I can't remember a single instance I've ever seen this happen. The chances of having units in position, with the odds in the attackers favor, and the target both worth hitting and more valuable than another on land target, just to eliminate units from an area that cannot be occupied, is too unlikely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lance klindt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much - Robert S.

One more Question:

Invaders if they are attacking with a 3 infantry from the Invasion Zone and the (U.S) defender gets a "Disengage Attack" symbol - you simple turn that unit over on it's side back in the original starting Invasion Zone, NEXT turn it can attack again?

Simply put

1.) The Invader infantry is safe and can fight again next turn from the Invasion Zone

2.) The Invader CANNOT retreat back into the Invasion Zone so they are destroyed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stetler
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lklindt wrote:
Thank you so much - Robert S.

One more Question:

Invaders if they are attacking with a 3 infantry from the Invasion Zone and the (U.S) defender gets a "Disengage Attack" symbol - you simple turn that unit over on it's side back in the original starting Invasion Zone, NEXT turn it can attack again?

Simply put

1.) The Invader infantry is safe and can fight again next turn from the Invasion Zone

2.) The Invader CANNOT retreat back into the Invasion Zone so they are destroyed

Are those statements or questions?

First off, disengage is not retreat. Don't confuse the two, they work very differently. A disengaged unit does not move, is not required to move, in fact it cannot move at all for the rest of the turn (with a limited exception for bombers). A retreated unit does move, is absolutely required to move, the inability to move legally means destroyed.

Second, disengage means the unit is for all intents and purposes out of combat for the immediate combat round (its presence does not contribute to combined arms), and it loses the ability to move during the Invasion Action phase (unless forced to, only in the case of bombers and only if they were bombing occupied territory). No effects at all on the unit persist to any following turn.

Lastly, friendly invasion zones within Invasion Action movement range are always legal to retreat to, unless the territory has a battle marker (very unlikely) or is already at the 5 unit limit. Units are never destroyed simply because they have to retreat to their invasion zone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel van der pol
Netherlands
Leiden
Zuid-Holland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmmm, yes, the difference between disengage and retreat did take some time in my playgroup to sink in as well.

For the attacker, it means the following:
1) The unit is flipped on its side in the area its currently in.
2) It is effectively removed from combat.
3) it cannot move during the Invasion phase.

For the defender, it means the following:
1) The unit is removed from the combat.
2) The unit MUST move to a friendly territory without a combat marker using its full movement value (from the Invasion phase) and all normal rules for movement.
3) If it is not possible to reach a friendly territory without a combat marker, then the unit is destroyed.

In both cases, there is no lingering effect and in the next turn the unit fights as normal.

I once retreated a bomber from an area attacked by the southern invader right into the path that the eastern invader was about to attack. That was fun...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.