Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
It's my turn to ask for some help

I'm thinking of revamping some of my armies in 28mm and quite fancy getting Artizan's Britons and for old times' sake, a Foundry Saxon army (they were my first non-Minifigs 25/28s). Can anyone tell me if the figures are about the same size? I think they're both going to be smallish 28s but am not certain.

And how about the Foundry moulds ... are they holding up or is there a lot of flash.

While I'm on the subject, what manufacturers are other people using? I have a fair few Gripping Beast in my collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 342349. danmer
  • 1d20 =
  • (3) =
  • Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 pm
  • [+]
  • 342350. danmer
  • 1d20 =
  • (9) =
  • Thu Apr 18, 2013 6:44 pm
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, and here's a little piece I wrote about suitable minis a while back: [blogpost=6240][/blogpost]

Just in case it encourages anyone to part with their hard-earned...!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jim tapp
msg tools
Hi Dan

Getting my first Foundry fellas from ebay made me feel like a proper wargamer! Such lovely minis but such big prices!

I have alot of Old Glory (small) - Saxons, Irish, Picts, RB, LIR, Goths - which I like alot, but there are Gripping Beast (large or small depending on range), Black Tree Designs (large).

I particularly like the Whitecross Miniatures ranges: I have Goths, LIR and Huns. They are middling size and I am drawn to the sculpts, though they may seem old fashioned to some.

My Newcross Franks are middling height and slight of build, but haven;t been touched or painted for over a year. Thinking of getting some of their Vikings one day maybe.

I find mixing foot no problem, but the size differences of the mounted troops looks wrong to me on the table, even with my myopia! Ebay bargains make for heterogenous armies - my yet to be painted Sassanids testify to that!

Never had an Artizan mini, but again maybe I'll pick up some Vikings one day.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this info, I'd forgotten about the old Whitecross models. I do actually regret selling my old Foundry models, but back then I had brave new plans ... they of course never quite worked out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris gibson
United Kingdom
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
I picked up some Foundary Franks at Salute and they were very clean -expensive - but flash free. Artizan go with them well. Whitecross are similar if a little bigger (now available from SHQ I believe). The other figs which are the closest match size wise to my mind are Essex and Old Glory. Newline also do some 28mm Late Romans, Saxons and Goths - poses are a bit static. I have figs from GB, Musketeer, Blacktree and WestWind and they are all a bit more substantial (esp Musketeer)- All lovely figs mind - too much choice !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United Kingdom
Worthing
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers for this info, much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Battle Tapir
msg tools
OUTPOST WARGAME SERVICES
ARTIZAN

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.