Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been doing really well with changing our eating habits, but I wanted to push it one step more and see if I could handle being a vegetarian for a while. We're eating eggs and dairy so we're far from vegan.

Do you guys have any good quick vegetarian recipes you'd like to share for some delicious eats? I found a bunch of stuff online, but I'm wondering what you lot eat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
I'm wondering what you lot eat.

This is Chit-Chat mb of course, but that doesn't help you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I made for dinner last night:

ONE POT KALE AND QUINOA PILAF

Serves 2-4
2 cups salted water
1 cup quinoa
1 bunch lacinato kale, washed and chopped into 1" lengths
1 meyer lemon, zested and juiced
2 scallions, minced
1 tablespoon toasted walnut oil
3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
salt and pepper

Bring the water to a boil in a covered pot. Add the quinoa, cover, and lower the heat until it is just enough to maintain a simmer. Let simmer for 10 minutes, then top with the kale and re-cover. Simmer another 5 minutes, then turn off the heat and allow to steam for 5 more minutes.

While the quinoa is cooking, take a large serving bowl and combine half of the lemon juice (reserving the other half), all of the lemon zest, scallions, walnut oil (you can substitute olive oil if you desire), pine nuts, and goat cheese.

Check the quinoa and kale when the cooking time has completed -- the water should have absorbed, and the quinoa will be tender but firm, and the kale tender and bright green. If the quinoa still has a hard white center, you can steam a bit longer (adding more water if needed). When the quinoa and kale are done, fluff the pilaf, and tip it into the waiting bowl with the remaining ingredients. As the hot quinoa hits the scallions and lemon it should smell lovely. Toss to combine, seasoning with salt and pepper, and the remaining lemon juice if needed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Black beans and rice with salsa is about as vegetarian as I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beer Cheese soup, while you're still on the dairy.
Diced onion/ carrot/ celery/ mushroom, sweated in a pan with butter. Add a bit flour to tighten up (as a roux, essentially), then add vegetable stock. Puree and add handfuls of a nice melting cheese, shredded. Finally, a dash of tabascso, some worchestershire, and a half a bottle of beer. The other half of the beer is for you while it all comes back up to a hot temperature.

I can post the actual measurements & amounts if you'd like. I've made it twice and it is excellent. And I got it from a Chit Chat post, a few months back.

Beer Cheese soup (A Wisconsin staple)

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces small diced onion (approximately 1 cup)
4 ounces small diced carrot (approximately 1 cup)
4 ounces small diced celery (approximately 1 cup)
4 ounces of small diced mushrooms (approximately 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt for sweating vegetables, plus more if needed at end of cooking
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, near boiling
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 bottle of beer or 1/3 cup of wine
10 ounces of a nice-melting cheese, shredded (avoid hard cheeses)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper

3 slices crisp bacon, crumbled: to garnish
Leftover popcorn: to garnish

In a small pot, turn high heat on, to get the chicken stock up to a near-boil.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in large heavy-bottomed sauce pan or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt once the butter foam dies down a bit. Sweat the vegetables for 5 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Add the whole cloves of garlic, sauté for 1 minute, and then take garlic out and mince it before putting it aside, until later on.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid; 5 minutes. *See Note 1, on wine or beer, below.

Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. This is the first step to making a roux, so the flour should brown up slightly.
Gradually add the hot chicken stock, one ladleful at a time, and bring everything back to a slow boil, stirring constantly as it thickens to prevent separation. *See Note 2, on chicken stock, below.
Reduce the heat to low, now add back the minced garlic and then toss in a bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
Remove bay leaf. Turn off the heat, and then puree with an immersion blender, or in a conventional blender. *See Note 3 warning, on blending in a blender, below.
Add the heavy cream then gradually add the cheese, 1 small handful at a time, and stir until melted before adding next handful. Finally, stir in the beer (or wine), Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and pepper.
Taste and add additional salt if desired. If soup is not hot enough, return to a low heat until warmed through. Serve and top each bowl with the garnishes.

* NOTE 1: If you want to play down the taste of the wine or beer that you’re using (you can use up any flat or opened spirits this way), then you should deglaze the pan with the wine/ beer at the point where the note appears, above (after the mushrooms are added and cooked down).
If you want to flavor the soup more strongly with the wine or beer, then add it near the end of the process, as the recipe reads right now.

* NOTE 2: If you plan to use an immersion blender to puree the cooked vegetables, only add about 1 cup of stock, rather than the full 3 cups, at this point. You will get a finer puree, with less mess, if there is less liquid. After blending is done to your liking, then add in the other 2 cups of broth.

* NOTE 3: WARNING- If using a convential blender, take the center out of the blender lid, or the buildup of steam will blow the lid off and spray hot soup everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jumbit
China
Zhejiang
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was temporarily vegetarian for a while. I was so poor I couldn't afford meat. Beans & rice for weeks at a time. Bag of apples, jar of peanut butter, a loaf of bread, and you can eat for days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kSwingrÜber
United States
Ridgefield
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb

Doctor tells a guy that he's gotta give up booze, tobacco, wild women, and red meat. He ask the doc if that'll make him live longer.

Doc say, "No, but it'll sure seem like it!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
I'm no gourmet chef, but there are a lot of different vegetarian chili dishes one can assemble with no meat (lotsa beans!)
And of course the wide variety of curry dishes served in India and such places with religious proscriptions against eating meat or seafood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY, that recipe sounds DELICIOUS but that's gotta be way full of fat calories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are you looking for a few recipes, or considering trying out cooking a lot of vegetarian meals?

If you're trying it out on a larger scale, I have a few recommendations:

* Study up on the "protein issue"
The short version is that you should (nearly) always combine vegetable proteins from different sources so you get a full set of amino acids to build human protein. It's easy to do, but you have to know you should be doing it.
Some people get a kind of "protein hunger" even on a full belly if they don't get this right.
* Study the "Vitamin B12 problem". Not an issue for occasional vegetarians, but best to check it out anyway
* Pick a style of cooking you like and get effective at it
The goal is to be able to quickly plan a simple meal you will enjoy eating, either based on what you have at home, or during a quick visit to a store.
This will naturally vary from person to person. I could describe my personal "default approach", but you might not like any of it

I'd generally advise against anything resembling "imitation meat". It keeps you hooked on processed food with no benefit (not even convenience).
Learn how to handle proteins/amino acids early and you'll find there's no need to imitate anything
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bat Profile
United States
Sandworms USA
Plateau of Leng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cous cous made with lemon juice and paprika...mix in left over asparagus and a handful of pine nuts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
フィル
Australia
Ashfield
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I've got an 808 and a 303 and a record collection like the ABC
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
My wife and I have been doing really well with changing our eating habits, but I wanted to push it one step more and see if I could handle being a vegetarian for a while. We're eating eggs and dairy so we're far from vegan.

Do you guys have any good quick vegetarian recipes you'd like to share for some delicious eats? I found a bunch of stuff online, but I'm wondering what you lot eat.

Mexican foods, mate. Black beans, grilled cactus, guacamole, chipotles, tortillas, salad, tequila etc. Cheese and sour cream if you're into that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
Beer Cheese soup, while you're still on the dairy.
Diced onion/ carrot/ celery/ mushroom, sweated in a pan with butter. Add a bit flour to tighten up (as a roux, essentially), then add vegetable stock. Puree and add handfuls of a nice melting cheese, shredded. Finally, a dash of tabascso, some worchestershire, and a half a bottle of beer. The other half of the beer is for you while it all comes back up to a hot temperature.

I can post the actual measurements & amounts if you'd like. I've made it twice and it is excellent. And I got it from a Chit Chat post, a few months back.

Beer Cheese soup (A Wisconsin staple)

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
4 ounces small diced onion (approximately 1 cup)
4 ounces small diced carrot (approximately 1 cup)
4 ounces small diced celery (approximately 1 cup)
4 ounces of small diced mushrooms (approximately 1 cup)
1/2 teaspoon salt for sweating vegetables, plus more if needed at end of cooking
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth, near boiling
4 cloves garlic
1 bay leaf
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 bottle of beer or 1/3 cup of wine
10 ounces of a nice-melting cheese, shredded (avoid hard cheeses)
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon pepper

3 slices crisp bacon, crumbled: to garnish
Leftover popcorn: to garnish

In a small pot, turn high heat on, to get the chicken stock up to a near-boil.
Meanwhile, melt the butter in large heavy-bottomed sauce pan or dutch oven, over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, celery, and salt once the butter foam dies down a bit. Sweat the vegetables for 5 to 10 minutes, or until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally. Add the whole cloves of garlic, sauté for 1 minute, and then take garlic out and mince it before putting it aside, until later on.
Add the mushrooms and cook until they release their liquid; 5 minutes. *See Note 1, on wine or beer, below.

Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables, and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 to 3 minutes. This is the first step to making a roux, so the flour should brown up slightly.
Gradually add the hot chicken stock, one ladleful at a time, and bring everything back to a slow boil, stirring constantly as it thickens to prevent separation. *See Note 2, on chicken stock, below.
Reduce the heat to low, now add back the minced garlic and then toss in a bay leaf. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are very soft.
Remove bay leaf. Turn off the heat, and then puree with an immersion blender, or in a conventional blender. *See Note 3 warning, on blending in a blender, below.
Add the heavy cream then gradually add the cheese, 1 small handful at a time, and stir until melted before adding next handful. Finally, stir in the beer (or wine), Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, and pepper.
Taste and add additional salt if desired. If soup is not hot enough, return to a low heat until warmed through. Serve and top each bowl with the garnishes.

* NOTE 1: If you want to play down the taste of the wine or beer that you’re using (you can use up any flat or opened spirits this way), then you should deglaze the pan with the wine/ beer at the point where the note appears, above (after the mushrooms are added and cooked down).
If you want to flavor the soup more strongly with the wine or beer, then add it near the end of the process, as the recipe reads right now.

* NOTE 2: If you plan to use an immersion blender to puree the cooked vegetables, only add about 1 cup of stock, rather than the full 3 cups, at this point. You will get a finer puree, with less mess, if there is less liquid. After blending is done to your liking, then add in the other 2 cups of broth.

* NOTE 3: WARNING- If using a convential blender, take the center out of the blender lid, or the buildup of steam will blow the lid off and spray hot soup everywhere!

now they might be they are demivegetarian and as this is something temporary the recipe might be valid, but still Worchester sauce is not vegetarian as it contains fish.

---

And now for something completly diffrent, fast comfortable stewy sauce to have to standard carbohydrates (potatoes, pasta, rice it really goes with everything, even by it self). This is my quick and cheap I don't have time to fix stuff recipie (that I did a lot when I was unemployed)

Saute some onions in oil in a pot, with salt, pepper and herbs. Add Garlic and Chilis if you are in to that (so I tend to add a lot of garlic and chilis). Add some kind of beans (I mostly use kidneybeans or chickpeas due to ease to find), add a can of crushed tomatoes and let simmer for a while add spices and vineagear to taste. This takes like 5, 10 minutes to make.

Also you can add stuff easy.

Oh aso there is always Dal, really lots of variation of red lentills is easy to use as a vegetarian.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stormseeker75 wrote:

Be careful with such experiments, it may become permanent
I wanted to see if I can be vegetarian for a month, and stayed vegetarian (or rather flexiterian) forever since.

For recipes I can recommend Italian recipes, there are many delicious ones without meat:
Vegetarian Lasagne
Stuffed Aubergines
Parmigiana
Mushroom Risotto or Asparagus Risotto, or Risotto with your favorite veggies.

Or Indian curry.

And
Strudel
or
Quiche

And vegetarian burgers in all variants: beans burgers, tofu burgers, zucchini burgers, mixed veggie burgers (with salad and with or without the bread.)

Mhhhh, I'm hungry now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exceptio probat regulam
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In the style of virre's post above, here's my "fast vege food" system, as used 45 minutes ago for lunch:

* Prepare (slice and dice) veg from what I have (see below)
* I always keep some cooked staples in the fridge ready to go: quinoa, lentils, rice, bulgur, beans, couscous, ... Red Quinoa today. Prepare steamer (heat water on the stove, have the "basket" with quinoa in it ready for the right moment)
* Heat a wok (it's on max heat from start to finish) and start with oil and some base items (usually two): root ginger, galanga, garlic, onions, ... Today just ginger.
* Optionally throw in something to flavor the oil (coriander seeds today)
* Throw in the other stuff in the right order. Today carrot, leek (hence no onion earlier), red bell pepper, green peppers, sugar peas
* Quinoa onto the steamer in the middle of this (5 to 10 min - it's very tolerant of spending a bit too long in the steamer)
* Today I finished with a little water (cooked off in 2 or 3 minutes), an Indian spice mix, and cashew nuts.

There a lots of variations for this part of the meal. E.g. if I'm using fresh chiles I add them earlier; ditto if I want a "wet" sauce or soup the liquid goes in earlier, and leaf greens at the end. Yoghurt has to be handled differently because you don't want to boil it.

Sometimes (e.g. with a sauce based on coconut milk) I add something like tamarind, pomegranate juice, lime etc.

Depending on the exact choices, actual cooking time can be from a bit over five minutes to perhaps 20 (for something more like soup).

This approach works for anything that can be stir-fried (or added in at the and and steamed fast on top of everything else), and allows for a really wide range of seasoning and sauce consistency (from no added liquid to soup).

OTOH if this doesn't suit, find something else. IMO it's worth developing a routine with any one style of veg cooking over a month or two. As soon as the first routine is established you can move on to something else (and after the first this will be easier, because you'll have a food prep routine too). If you "jump around" too quickly between different styles it might feel as though it's hard to cook vegetarian food, when in fact what's hard is doing something new for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Temporary vegetarianism
I call this "the side dish"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R.T. Sloan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
Do you guys have any good quick vegetarian recipes you'd like to share for some delicious eats?

Any of the Belgian Trappist beers should do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get yourself some TVP (Textured vegetable protein). Use it as an additive in other vegetarian dishes. Very good stuff that takes on other flavors. Especially good in chili.

We buy it as "Crumbles."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.