United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent.

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Man, I hope they keep the original mushrooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just saw this on the Kickstarter games front page.

It will be interesting to see as the project moves forward just how much more information they give about the game changes. While it was fun back in the 80's, it had significant flaws that need to be corrected. The say "complete redesign" - but it's impossible to tell with what they've shown so far. Game market mechanics have come a long way.

The Kickstarter video and rewards have a distinctly less-than-impressive quality to them. The artwork certainly is minimalist, but then again that's keeping with the style of game.

The $30K dollar value seems a bit low for realistic manufacturing in this day when compared to a few recent projects (looking at you SJG and DoW).

If the development and play testing is all done as they said, perhaps there is a chance of getting a few reviews from the usual Internet suspects to help give those of us fans from back in the day more confidence.

I know, I know, it's just day one.

Edit - also, is the first post a neutral heads up or an ad/promo by the developer? Not that it's against BGG policy or anything (afaik) but if it is from them, rather than create an anon account the day you launch on KS, why not create a formal BGG account for feedback and discussion?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peterson
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the posting! I wasn't aware of the kickstarter. I really think that the economic system is the big issue in many people's minds (although I think it is okay, especially with Fortuna), so I'd hate to see a reworking of ALL of it. I'm especially fond of the prospecting and R&D through the resource deck....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
HAHAH! Awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this an official license of the game? I couldn't find info about that anywhere.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob G
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They mention on their Kickstarter that they were unable to contact the original developer. There's a BGG thread from a while back that seems to confirm nobody has been able to track him down.

They picked up the expired marks with the USPTO and appear to simply be reusing original graphics (may be slightly re-stylized, haven't looked into it too much).

IANAL so I have no idea whether any of what they have done is problematic or not; they say their lawyer(s) have assured them everything is legit.

Their KS could text could stand a review by a formal editor, and I can't imagine anything good will come from their promise of an "Islamic Terrorist" expansion.

They didn't charge out of the gate with a splash, which is often crucial for game projects. The numbers so far show they are getting about $100 per person (18 so far), so if they are able to appeal to a small chunk of those with fond memories they may make it across the line.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathe
United States
Greenfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
http://www.Game-Universe.com
badge
http://www.MinionGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I would have know that doing that was legal as I would have secured the trademarks then. Humm... this and W40K coins in the same day. Lawyers dream.

James

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
Excellent.

Thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Man, I hope they keep the original mushrooms.

The 'shrooms were cool, but I hope this time they do them in white. The "Nuclear Armageddon" m-clouds look so much cooler, even apart from the lurid orange and green flames underneath the white cloud.

The optional tank-and-carrier pieces are tempting (though how many modern powers actually plan to build supercarriers?) but it's really the seventh-player components that would push me to pull the trigger on that level.

Owning the original, the mega-map and all the expansions except for the merchant ship set, I'm tempted to pass, but the revised 21st-century geopolitical borders/powers will probably convince me to buy in.

I wish the new one included more of the expansion stuff, though, especially "Boomers."

As an aside, I had a chat a couple of years ago with a guy who said he was part of the original release. He confirmed that if they hadn't gone under, Supremacy Games would have brought out expansion modules with little fighters, surface ships, attack subs and--yes--B-52s!!!

Sigh. What a shame.

Glad to see the game revived and updated, though. I hope the revisions have been well tested to smooth out some of the bumps in the original system. At least it sounds to be more conflict-oriented than the original, which will be entertaining.

Edit: Did it. Sigh again. K'strtr is killing my budget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am calling shenanigans!

"250,000 Supremacy fans have been patiently waiting since 1984 for a new release."

That must have been a hell of print run. Currently there are just over 1500 copies owned by BGG users. I understand that the a non-owner could certainly be a fan of the game and not all owners log their copies here, but I think you are being wee bit generous with your numbers.

Don't get me wrong, I hope this campaign. Works out, but I would really like to see the rules before pledging. Also, I agree with previous posters that it would be cool to get a variety of figures like boomers & B-52s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marsbarr wrote:
Oh yes. That's the best part!!

…we were leaning towards black. What do you think of glow in the dark?

I would stick with black if it were me.
But then, I'm not making the game!

I always like the idea of glow in the dark stuff like this.
But, I never play in the dark....
And gitd stuff just looks pale and washed out with the lights on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rat King
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered selling a pdf copy of the rules so people can get a better idea of how they work. Maybe get some reviews from people once they've had a chance to try them out.

Regarding the pieces, I've been using Axis and Allies pieces in mine for some time. I vote for keeping them the same size.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to Kickstarter forum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rocco Privetera
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
RE: Rules pdf. We hadn’t planned on doing this.

You had better. Why wouldn't you? Most gamers want to see a copy of the rules before buying. Plus its supremacy, everybody knows the general rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocconteur wrote:
Quote:
RE: Rules pdf. We hadn’t planned on doing this.

You had better. Why wouldn't you? Most gamers want to see a copy of the rules before buying. Plus its supremacy, everybody knows the general rules.

Yeah, they had better rethink that position. Seventeen days to go and they are just shy of 1/6 of the way to funding. At this rate they are not going to make it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Baldassar
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WOW 10 different levels to back before even getting a copy of the game and only two backer at those levels - Maybe eliminate the lower levels, they seem unnecessary
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey H
United States
Stillwater
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tebald wrote:
WOW 10 different levels to back before even getting a copy of the game and only two backer at those levels - Maybe eliminate the lower levels, they seem unnecessary

So how much grief would you give that person who pulled out the shift and wanted a reroll?

Heck how much grief would you give them just for buying the shirt?

I think these add-ons make the game appear silly. Perhaps that is why they have not sold any.

Also I think that releasing the rules ahead of time might be the only way to get people to put some money down. The original game was broken. Proof that they have a good rule set would go a long way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Libby
United States
Middletown
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chimes wrote:
tebald wrote:

So how much grief would you give that person who pulled out the shift and wanted a reroll?

I wouldn't let them do it or I wouldn't play. I love joking around and having a good time while playing games, but this is hardly worth even a snicker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.