Tim Westfall
United States
East Wakefield
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently got this game, being a fan of German language, and more importantly, the incorporation of Sausage in the theme!

However, I'm not too familiar with the colloquialisms and phrases in German.

I'm wondering from the title and after reading the rules that I'm missing something?

All I know is:
Wuerfel = Dice
Wurst = Sausage

But the English translations of the directions potentially imply something with the sausage phrase and/or being lucky or unlucky?
In German, is there a common phrase used that incorporates luck and/or bad luck?

For example, I'm slightly familiar with 'Bad Luck' being stated as 'Pech or das Pech', which directly translates to 'Tar Pitch' from the days of dropping hot oil and 'yumminess' on those storming a castle.

Is there the same thing going on here or am I just hoping for deeper meaning in the the game and graphics?
Why the 'unwanted/nasty animals' and 'sausage'?
I could see if the theme was using animals that can give you meat to make sausage...
Or is it the non deep balance of 'unwanted' animals and 'wanted' sausages because they're the most delicious thing on earth?

Any insight out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think there is anything deeper but maybe someone else knows better

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
If you call someone "armes Würstchen" (lit. translation: 'poor little sausage') you are actually meaning 'poor thing'. It could be someone who just lost...

"Du Wurst!" can be interpreted as a very very slight insult.

I guess for this game they also wanted to stress the alliterations with W:
WürfelWurst, (and all the animals:) Wiesel (weasel), Wespe (wasp), Wanze (bug), Wachtel (quail), Wurm (worm), Waschbär (raccoon).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Poplawski
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Meetup.com Victoria German Language Meetup Group
badge
Wer lesen kann ist klar im Vorteil.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not picking up anything significant from the theme of sausage or Wurst on this one, but if you want to exclaim "Jetzt geht es richtig um die Wurst!" ("now is the moment of truth") on your turn, you might gain some credibility, or groans, from your German-speaking tablemates. That's just how it goes with dice games!

If you're looking for a game based on a German expression, check out Filou: die Katze im Sack. Friedemann Friese nailed that one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.