Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zawadi Svela
Norway
Skjetten
flag msg tools
mbmb
I couldn't come up with a better headline, but the question is really this:
As you play this game, do you get closer to winning and losing at the same time?

I saw it mentioned in an article about Space Cadets, and I've seen that almost all cooperative games have built-in mechanics for brining players closer to winning and losing simultaneously. Pandemic has the outbreak counter and the deck that runs out, Ghost Stories has the deck and life points and Lord of Lord of the Rings TCG has the threat counter and life points (though I've experienced this actually end quite anticlimactically), to mention a few.

In short, much do people shout when this game ends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
I guess the answer is yes. The game gets harder as you go, thus bringing you closer to failing, but also progressing you further into the story and your "MYTH." Extra minions, captians etc provide new and more difficult challenges to overcome. There is also some sort of scaling I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the equivalent in MYTH would be the trifecta of Threat-Damage-AP.

Basically, you want to kill baddies, but the more damage you do, the more AP you cause, making the Darkness activate more often. Killing baddies also leads to a higher threat level. If you're dealing damage and attacking, then you're not lowering your threat. If your threat is high - bad stuff is going to happen to you.

It's a cycle really, and there's constant juggling of the three...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kormanik
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

Basically, you want to kill baddies, but the more damage you do, the more AP you cause, making the Darkness activate more often. Killing baddies also leads to a higher threat level. If you're dealing damage and attacking, then you're not lowering your threat. If your threat is high - bad stuff is going to happen to you.

The other side of the coin is if you just play it safe, you don't get all the shiny loot.

So yes, I'd say you get closer to winning and loosing at the same time, since there is a press your luck element as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michelle
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:

Yep, and I posted about this elsewhere, but there's even more juggling to be done when you factor in the treasure system (trying to kill enemies in groups to pop a treasure, limited time span for treasure drops at all, having to move and spend an action to collect treasure, and treasure turning into gold if not collected within a certain time span)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
breegull wrote:
Yep, and I posted about this elsewhere, but there's even more juggling to be done when you factor in the treasure system (trying to kill enemies in groups to pop a treasure, limited time span for treasure drops at all, having to move and spend an action to collect treasure, and treasure turning into gold if not collected within a certain time span)

True, I forgot about treasure.

So it's not a trifecta but a... quatrafecta?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
breegull wrote:

True, I forgot about treasure.

So it's not a trifecta but a... quatrafecta?

I'd say that or tetrafecta?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.