Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I have started a rather long thread, post, looking for a game to introduce to my new to board games/ avid video gamer bro-in-law.
However, since I only buy one game every few months I would also like to be able to play it more than just when we get together for a weekly gaming night.
I also game with my wife and older kids (10 and 7). I know my wife will not like it, but do you think my 10 year old son will be able to pick this game up?
Currently he and I play a lot of Summoner Wars and Legendary. He also does well playing Memoir 44.

Any thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated.
(I did look through the Core World forums but I did not find any discussion on this topic.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Crispin
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he can play SW then he should be able to do this. It is not a rules heavy game. The game can run long, esp. with more than 3. The other downside is that with poor deck management it possible to get your deck in a state where you cannot handle the escalating challenges at the end of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
russell smith
United States
Manteno
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
my game group is family friendly and one lady brings her kids the oldest of which is nine years old. when we played core worlds she played
and appeared to understand how the game was played. she tends to get bored rather easy and not be able to focus on any one thing for any length of time and for that reason she has not played a second time as the game does take a bit more time to play. so if he likes games and will stick with them I see no reason why a 10 yr old couldn't handle CW
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wwscrispin wrote:
If he can play SW then he should be able to do this. It is not a rules heavy game. The game can run long, esp. with more than 3. The other downside is that with poor deck management it possible to get your deck in a state where you cannot handle the escalating challenges at the end of the game.

I would almost play this exclusively 2 player and I can help him along the way with strategy.

greengorilla wrote:
my game group is family friendly and one lady brings her kids the oldest of which is nine years old. when we played core worlds she played
and appeared to understand how the game was played. she tends to get bored rather easy and not be able to focus on any one thing for any length of time and for that reason she has not played a second time as the game does take a bit more time to play. so if he likes games and will stick with them I see no reason why a 10 yr old couldn't handle CW

My son will play Drizzt which sometimes clocks in at 2 hours, so if he is interested he will definitely invest the time.

I guess my one other concern is that while the theme/artwork is awesome, I am not sure if he would be disappointed by the game play.
Does the sense of conflict come through in this game, say as well as it does in Legendary. He definitely loves the fighting in Legendary although as I type this he also has fun choosing which cards to buy.

Thanks for the replies!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not fight other players in this game. To me, the battles feel rather abstract: If you have enough units, you win; otherwise you lose. Battles are not tense or surprising in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mumu shanshi
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whizkid wrote:
To me, the battles feel rather abstract: If you have enough units, you win; otherwise you lose. Battles are not tense or surprising in any way.

Don't draft Experimental Prototype much, do we?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.