Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am going on my honeymoon with my (soon-to-be) wife to a deserted island and I want to bring some small games that will entertain us and keep us coming back long after the honeymoon is over laugh

Keltis, Battle Line, and Lost Cities have all been suggested. I'm saving reading the rules for marriage but at a glance these games all appear substantially similar...

Are they very similar? Is it worth having more than one of them?

Which of the three is the most fun and most replayable?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danilo
Brazil
Águas Claras
Brasilia / DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really find an time to play at your honeymoon (it's an busy timewhistle), you could be consider Hive too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Parker
United States
Aggieland
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
You're only young once...but you can be immature the rest of your life!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I feel like I'd be doing HER wrong by recommending games for YOU to take on your honeymoon??? shake I can think of all kinds of games to play on a deserted island, but you won't find any of the ones I'm thinking about here on BGG!!! whistle

Anyway...in the spirit of wishing you marital bliss...I'll suggest ANYTHING COOPERATIVE!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are considering Battle Line, I would look at Arena: Roma II instead. It's a card activation/dice allocation game in which you use dice to activate cards each round. Dice can also be used to draw more cards or get money (money is needed to put cards into play). Some cards also let you attack certain cards belonging to your opponent. I have heard it compared to magic, but it is not nearly as complex because there are only abut 25 different cards you need to be familiar with. Arena is cheap and it comes in a small box. Hence it's very portable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Also consider:

Gloom
Ghooost!
Ra: The Dice Game
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Ses
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games you've listed, I'd suggest Battle Line.

For a co-op, Forbidden Island. Since you're going to a deserted island, it even has the bonus of being thematically suitable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:

Are they very similar? Is it worth having more than one of them?

Which of the three is the most fun and most replayable?

I have all three games. They are all very good but I would rank them:

Battle Line> or =Lost Cities > Keltis

Lost Cities would be my first choice if playing a game with my spouse ... I think it is slightly less confrontational and appeals more to the opposite persuasion than Battle Line would ... But, both games are good and you couldn't go wrong with either. All are quite replayable.

I also have another suggestion ... Balloon cup is one of the best two player games andit was just re-released as Pinata. This game is visually appealing and would be another great choice. I rank it ahead of all three above.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unlike the others, Battle Line is a direct head-to-head competition, which some folks like and others don't. It also uses poker-style hands, which personally I find even more distractingly abstract than just numbers. But it is extremely highly regarded, so if you like that type of game, it's solid, and might have the most depth and replayability.

I haven't played Keltis, but I have played the related Keltis: Das Kartenspiel. Both are offshoots of the Lost Cities franchise, so all have a lot of similarities. You're managing your hand to play numbered cards in a sequence. It has some push-your-luck. Lost Cities has a bit of flavor theme, whereas Keltis is...green. For me, that tiny dash of theme is enough that I favor Lost Cities, but I may be in a minority on that. I do prefer the "up or down" play of Keltis over the "ascending-only" play of LC.

EDIT: Piñata/Balloon Cup are also head-to-head games. You are competing with numeric sums rather than poker hands. Definitely a reasonable choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
torontoraptors
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By Keltis I am going to assume you mean Keltis: Das Kartenspiel. Keltis is very similar to Lost Cities but it has the advantage(or disadvantage) that you can start high and go down or low and go up( in Lost Cities you have to start low and go up) which helps to counter the luck of the draw( having high cards on the beggining of Lost Cities can be a gamble). Keltis also has the wishing stones and point cards which I like better than the bonus cards of Lost Cities, it creates more possibilities I think.

Battle Line is a different from the other two but also interesting, when I play it I feel some of the gamble in the Lost Cities,but it's a calculated risk...

That being said I enjoy all of them, if you plan on getting more than one I wouldn't recommend getting Keltis and Lost Cities together as they are too similar. For whatever it's worth Keltis is one of my gf's favourite games.
My personal order would be:
Keltis>Battle Line> Lost Cities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yee Keat Phuah
Malaysia
flag msg tools
OT, but I wished I have Mr. Jack Pocket during My honeymoon 2 years ago to Maldives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny VenOsdel
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On our honeymoon we played Roll Through the Ages, Race for the Galaxy, and Cribbage.

While Battle Line and Lost Cities are certainly portable, Battle Line takes a lot more space to play. If you don't expect to have lots of room then Lost Cities (minus the board) is much better. Lost Cities is also a better casual game. It isn't hard to have conversation while playing.

Another option would be the Decktet. Lots of good games there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The correct answer is Battle Line. No other two-player game has been played more than BL by me and my wife. And we're still not tired of it. It's brilliantly simple and deep. Get it. You won't be sorry. FWIW, my wife and I played a lot of Lost Cities for while. But then we got Battle Line and have never played LC since--don't care to either. I gave it away. It's nothing compared to BL.

A runner-up might be Jambo. It wasn't for me, but see the following review:

Jambo -- My Thoughts After 1500+ Plays...

Lastly, take a look at Innovation. Great game.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacovis
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle line and lost cities are hits with my wife. I also recommend Jaipur very highly. Got it as a surprise from my secret santa last Christmas and it has become a surprise success that comes out whenever we have time for a quick game.

Hive, as much as I love it, has not gone over well. It is a bit too forwardly competitive for my wife.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Plante
United States
Greenville
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jacovis wrote:
Battle line and lost cities are hits with my wife. I also recommend Jaipur very highly. Got it as a surprise from my secret santa last Christmas and it has become a surprise success that comes out whenever we have time for a quick game.

Hive, as much as I love it, has not gone over well. It is a bit too forwardly competitive for my wife.

Cheers!

+1 for Jaipur, I was going to recommend it myself until I read the last post.
This is currently my wife's favorite game, and I enjoy it quite a bit myself.
Definitely less mathy than the Lost Cities tallying of points at the end game.

Not sure when you are leaving, but of you have an opportunity to pick up Morels that would be my second choice.
I am waiting for the reprint from Games Salute, supposedly it will be released in May.

Cheers and enjoy the honeymoon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Don't worry - we'll have plenty of time to play games that require only two components

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Fish
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Couple more comparisons:

Jaipur vs. Jambo - seem very similar. Which is more fun / more replayable?

Innovation - how similar is this to 7 Wonders? Is it worth having both?

Balloon cup v Odin's Ravens - these also seem very similar. Worth having both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:
Jaipur vs. Jambo - seem very similar. Which is more fun / more replayable?

Not very similar. Jaipur has limited interaction, via taking cards from the central market. Jambo has quite a few "attack" cards.

Quote:

I've only played Innovation once, but found it to be nothing like 7 Wonders. Innovation is much more interactive...and chaotic. Innovation is generally believed best with 2, while many folks don't like the neutral/shared/dummy that 7W requires with 2p.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:

They both have cards, that's mostly it.

7 Wonders have very limited player interaction, there is no direct conflict. You can only try to deny good cards, and not buy goods from other players. For example Military only gives/takes victory points without changing the loser's game state otherwise.

Innovation is much more about conflict and directly affecting or taking advantage of the other players' cards (active/archived/in-hand/scored). I feel Innovation has more staying power than 7 Wonders, also because you can't learn it (cards and good combos) instantly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Attica J
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mb
+1 Jaipur
+1 Battle Line

But something you really need to consider is Hanabi. Its cooperative and my girlfriend really loves this game, so does everyone we have played it with. It comes in a tiny box and costs about 15$ or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how competitive or passive your future wife is, I dunno if Battle Line is necessarily going to be a perfect fit. My girlfriend really wasn't fond of it. Too competitive, and she found the strategy and decisions she had to make stressful.

Jaipur is competitive, but much more laid back, don't really know who's winning till the end.

I haven't played any of the others, so can't comment on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
"Federer is Betterer"
mbmbmbmbmb
thefishman wrote:

Balloon cup v Odin's Ravens - these also seem very similar. Worth having both?

Dan, I've played Balloon Cup many a time and it's a great game for a couple. Less confrontative than many of the other games which should work well for a Honeymoon. I just watched Tom Vasel's review of Odin's Ravens and although I don't have that game I wouldn't say it is that similar to Balloon Cup. Really, Lost Cities and Balloon Cup are more similar to each other than to Odin's Ravens, but from what I saw I would tell you that they are better games overall, and in fact Tom Vasel's makes a similar comment in his review of Ravens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.