Eric Boeschenstein
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello friends I'm looking to buy my first Expansion for Cosmic Encounter.

I would like the help from you guys about the differences between the 3 expansions available and the personal opinion of you about what you guys think is the best or most interesting expansion to have.

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
All add 20 new aliens (and flares for each) plus tokens and destiny cards for one extra player.

I have Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Conflict. Cosmic Incursion brings in defender rewards (and add the orange player), Cosmic Conflict adds hazards that are triggered by destiny cards (and adds the black player).

The defender rewards are a nice addition. We have not played with the hazards yet. They seem full or 'wonderful' surprises, so should make the game even more chaotic.

I'm in no hurry getting the third expansion (Cosmic Alliance), because we really don't need the 8th player, and it does not appear as interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything I read points to incursion being the best. I was sad to hear that since Black > Orange, but I got that incursion first and was satisfied.

a1bert wrote:
All have 20 aliens, tokens and destiny cards for one extra player. The color varies.

I have Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Conflict. Cosmic Incursion brings in defender rewards (and orange player), Cosmic Conflict adds hazards that are triggered by destiny cards (and black player).

The defender rewards are a nice addition, we have not played with the hazards yet. They seem full or 'wonderful' surprises.

I'm in no hurry getting the third expansion (Cosmic Alliance), because we really don't need the 8th player, and it does not appear as interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boeschenstein
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
All add 20 new aliens plus tokens and destiny cards for one extra player.

I have Cosmic Incursion and Cosmic Conflict. Cosmic Incursion brings in defender rewards (and add the orange player), Cosmic Conflict adds hazards that are triggered by destiny cards (and adds the black player).

The defender rewards are a nice addition. We have not played with the hazards yet. They seem full or 'wonderful' surprises, so should make the game even more chaotic.

I'll read more about Cosmic Incursion
Thanks for the tip.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Coddington
United States
Woodbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, grab Incursion first. It is the only expansion I have at the moment but I do plan on adding Conflict soon. I really like the Rewards deck in Incursion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from Recommendations to Cosmic Encounter

This way you should get better responses. Further, this way any good responses to this question should be easier to find for others with a similar question in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Incursion is essential. Reward deck and some classic aliens like Bully, Chronos, Disease, Fungus, Seeker, and Sniveler.

Conflict is nice to have. Hazard deck and more classics like Empath, Filth, Industrialist, Saboteur, and Siren. Some interesting new additions like The Claw, Lunatic, and Warhawk.

Alliance is kind of optional, based on my experience and the general response I've seen. It has no new "deck" really, just copies of existing basic cards to make your deck bigger to support 7-8 players. Generally the classic aliens in this set were not translated well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a compulsive completest I couldn't imagine not owning them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from Recommendations to Cosmic Encounter

This way you should get better responses. Further, this way any good responses to this question should be easier to find for others with a similar question in the future.

Now that you've moved this thread here, are you going to move the other one to Recommendations?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also recommend Incursion as the first expansion one should get. The Reward deck is the best (IMHO) of the optional/variant rules that have been introduced in this edition and the selection of Alien Powers is pretty good all around.

And maybe I'm in the minority but I think the orange player color is my favorite of the expansion colors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boeschenstein
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to all. I will buy the expansions in chronological order.
I'm already anxious to receive the first expanção.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.