Alex
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Hey guys, since two weeks I am a proud owner of TI3 with the Shattered Empires expansion! Next sunday Is going to be our first play, so I read up on all the rules as best I could, including official faq pdf and some tips on this forum. Now I just have two questions:

1. Would it be a hostile landing if you land on a planet containing only PDS units but no Ground Force units? If so, the PDS can at least fire once at invading GF units (which seems logical to me). If not, the PDS does nothing and is destroyed because the planet falls without resistance. See page 12 of the rulebook.

2. Is it possible to do a transfer action between two systems one of which has no friendly units, but does have a friendly control marker on a planet? See page 12 bottom right corner of the rulebook.
You could say 'why not do a tactical action', well with a tranfser action you could transfer some ships into that system which had only the marker on it, and then produce units at the system that had the ships on it.
If I read the rules literally I would say this is not possible, but at the same time I find it weird that it would not be allowed, as the system containg your control marker is yours and there are no enemy units in it.

Thanks in advance!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyedore wrote:
Hey guys, since two weeks I am a proud owner of TI3 with the Shattered Empires expansion! Next sunday Is going to be our first play, so I read up on all the rules as best I could, including official faq pdf and some tips on this forum. Now I just have two questions:

1. Would it be a hostile landing if you land on a planet containing only PDS units but no Ground Force units? If so, the PDS can at least fire once at invading GF units (which seems logical to me). If not, the PDS does nothing and is destroyed because the planet falls without resistance. See page 12 of the rulebook.


Yes, it would be a hostile landing.
PDS can fire.

Eyedore wrote:

2. Is it possible to do a transfer action between two systems one of which has no friendly units, but does have a friendly control marker on a planet? See page 12 bottom right corner of the rulebook.
You could say 'why not do a tactical action', well with a tranfser action you could transfer some ships into that system which had only the marker on it, and then produce units at the system that had the ships on it.
If I read the rules literally I would say this is not possible, but at the same time I find it weird that it would not be allowed, as the system containg your control marker is yours and there are no enemy units in it.

Thanks in advance!


You must have plastic in the system and control all planets

Bill
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

First of all, congratulations for the acquisition. TI3 is my favorite game and I simply LOVE it. Now to the answers:

1 - It has enemy units, so it's a hostile landing. The PDS fire as normal and, if it at least one friendly unit (ground force or, in SotT expansion, mechanized unit) lands, the PDS is destroyed. Note that, if a Shock Troop unit or an Agent Leader lands, the PDS is converted into a friendly PDS.

2 - The rules state that you control a system if you control all its planets and have at least one friendly ship there (fighters on space docks don't count), so you couldn't do a transfer action in this situation.

But I agree with you that this rule is nonsense if you have control markers on every planet of that system and there are no enemy ships there.
We have a house rule which makes a transfer action in this condition possible, as we don't see the point of saying that specific system is not controlled by the player.

Just pay attention to the fact thar empty systems HAVE to be occupied with a ship to be considered controlled, so empty systems don't fall into the house rule.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
With #2, I have a small correction to the above two posters' answers.

To do a Transfer action, you don't need to "control" both systems. The only requirement is that, per Page 12, "Both activated systems must contain at least one unit controlled by the active player and must contain absolutely no enemy units (including Ground Forces and PDS)."


So let's say we have the following:
System A:
- One of your ships
- A planet, controlled by you, in which no GFs are present

System B:
- No ships
- Planet 1 - Controlled by an enemy, but no units present
- Planet 2 - Neutral
- Planet 3 - COntrolled by you, with a GF present

You COULD do a transfer action involving A and B here. However, if Planet 3 in System B only had a control marker and no units, you could NOT use it as part of a Transfer action. So in your #2 situation, you could not do a Transfer Action (just with a clarified "why not")
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick replies, it is now all clear to me!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Netherlands
flag msg tools
MM, I have another question, this time about playing action cards:

The rules state that if you want to play an action card, you have to announce this with your action card face down, then everybody else may announce they also want to play an action card, and finally all action cards are revealed and then resolved in the order of play.

So if you want to play an "Play as an action" action card when it is your turn to do an action, and if then someone else also wants to play an action card, it may happen that you do not even get to start your own action if the other players initiative is lower than yours? This feels weird to me.
Also, what kind of action cards are we talking about that other people can play during your "Play as an action" action card? (excluding the sabotage action card in all this).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Norton
United States
Seymour
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
With #2, I have a small correction to the above two posters' answers.

To do a Transfer action, you don't need to "control" both systems. The only requirement is that, per Page 12, "Both activated systems must contain at least one unit controlled by the active player and must contain absolutely no enemy units (including Ground Forces and PDS)."


So let's say we have the following:
System A:
- One of your ships
- A planet, controlled by you, in which no GFs are present

System B:
- No ships
- Planet 1 - Controlled by an enemy, but no units present
- Planet 2 - Neutral
- Planet 3 - COntrolled by you, with a GF present

You COULD do a transfer action involving A and B here. However, if Planet 3 in System B only had a control marker and no units, you could NOT use it as part of a Transfer action. So in your #2 situation, you could not do a Transfer Action (just with a clarified "why not")


Correct, but to further clarify you can only land troops on your planet.

Bill


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Damerell
msg tools
Eyedore wrote:
The rules state that if you want to play an action card, you have to announce this with your action card face down, then everybody else may announce they also want to play an action card, and finally all action cards are revealed and then resolved in the order of play.


This odd procedure is largely because of the relationship between "Direct Hit" and "Emergency Repairs", and a couple of other pairs of Action Cards.

I am sorely tempted to replace it with "When someone plays an Action Card, other players may play Action Cards (which would otherwise be legal to play) in response; cards might be played in response to those cards, and so forth. Cards are resolved in the order of play (ie, by Strategy Cards if they have been picked, or clockwise from the Speaker)".

Quote:
So if you want to play an "Play as an action" action card when it is your turn to do an action, and if then someone else also wants to play an action card, it may happen that you do not even get to start your own action if the other players initiative is lower than yours?


You do start your action; but their Action Card is resolved first.

Quote:
Also, what kind of action cards are we talking about that other people can play during your "Play as an action" action card? (excluding the sabotage action card in all this).


They can play Action Cards which it would otherwise be legal to play. They don't know yet you are playing a "play as an action" card.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eyedore wrote:
So if you want to play an "Play as an action" action card when it is your turn to do an action, and if then someone else also wants to play an action card, it may happen that you do not even get to start your own action if the other players initiative is lower than yours? This feels weird to me.

Their card could potentially interrupt your card, but note that they cannot play a card that says "Play as an action"; if it's not their turn, they are not allowed to do actions, and thus do not meet the qualification to "play as an action".


(Oh, and Bill - thanks for that clarification, I should have put that in my post; it's definitely very important to remember!)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Necessary Evil
United States
Glen Arm
Maryland
flag msg tools
Yes, I play the Bass.
badge
Sweet Holy Moses, Fruit F*cker Prime!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
Eyedore wrote:
So if you want to play an "Play as an action" action card when it is your turn to do an action, and if then someone else also wants to play an action card, it may happen that you do not even get to start your own action if the other players initiative is lower than yours? This feels weird to me.

Their card could potentially interrupt your card, but note that they cannot play a card that says "Play as an action"; if it's not their turn, they are not allowed to do actions, and thus do not meet the qualification to "play as an action".


(Oh, and Bill - thanks for that clarification, I should have put that in my post; it's definitely very important to remember!)


Also remember that if your "play as an Action" card is canceled, you still have an action to do. You don't lose the turn, you have to do something else.

-M
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.