Runebound (Second Edition)» Forums » Play By Forum

Subject: PBF 27 The Game of Scions (discussion) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will be a 6 person Seven Scions. There will be some peculiar house rules, please review (below) before signing up. As seven scions isn't made into PBF format by almighty Carey this game won't be 100% scripted(but as close as can be).

No experience with Scions is necessary, but some experience with RB PBF is recommended.

Post to this thread (and subscribe) if you want to join!

Signed up:
1. Areinu
2. SirWashington
3. mil05006
4. Torcida
5. charlier64
6. j_holmes

Game starts: When we have exactly 6 players, however long that takes.
Players: 6.
Pace: Normal. At least one turn per day, more is better. Post to this thread if you'll be unavailable for longer than a day.
Market Decks: Base + all small box expansions. If you draw a banner, discard and draw another item.
Player Decks/Draw: All except for Midnight. Draw 3 and choose one. If you hate them, discard those and draw 2; you must choose from those 2. Trenloe and Hugo are banned; draw a replacement.
Challenge variants: All of them
House Rules: Standard, plus:
- no Hugo and Trenloe, draw replacement
- no banners, draw replacement
- every town, even Tamalir, starts with 3 items on market stack, but those are hidden. When first player gets to the town he draws one card like normal and does to mark our doom tracker. It will be easy to see there
- In first post under the game I've listed all Scions, Stormlords, and Storm cards. When Storm Phase cometh the person who got there just troweth 1dX, where X is number of unresolved storm events of current color. He then counts from left to right to see which one did he get. Then in his posts he posts (img)ImageID=xxxxxxmedium(/img)(using square brackets, but somehow this ignored code tag) where xxxxxx is ImageID, which you can get after clicking on miniature in post I mentioned. Once that's resolved I'll remove that card from the listing, so next time rolled number will be smaller.

Sure, that means everyone will know what storm event is coming last, but we're all experienced Seven Scions players and remember all the cards anyway, so it's not giving us any edge. Right.

Stormlords and Scions are visible to anyone by the rules, so it's good you can check them out at any time.

Links:
- Game thread: PBF 27 The Game of Scions
- Basic House Rules and if suspecting server problems.
- Official rules for Seven Scions: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Runebound/expa...
- Official rules for Runebound 2nd edition: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Runebound/rune...
- Official FAQ: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Runebound/Rune...

Thanks and GeekGold to
Carey J
United States
Wichita Falls
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
for automated PBF!!![/q]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What madness is this??? I'm definitely in. Scions noob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I"ll play if you'll have me!!! Scions noob as well!!!! Wootwoot!!! So if you don't want 2 noobs I wont be offended!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, we're halfway there

Scions seem to be one of less popular expansions so I wouldn't be surprised if most people didn't play that yet, or they only played it solo/in small groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure that i get the rules for this game so I would prefer to just follow you guys play and then learn it.
But if the 6 slots aren't filled out I will take one and do my best and hopefully not f-up to much

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added you to the list, so there are only 2 slots left. Seven Scions doesn't have many rules, and all of them are easy. Only badly written.

Basically changes from normal game are like this:
1) All events and encounters are ignored and discarded, but on events everyone can chose their scion in CW order. Only 1 scion can be chosen at once, and you get the benefit listed on its card but only during "storm phases".
2) each time anyone takes a turn he moves doom track by 1(if he defeated green or didn't defeat anything), 2(for defeating yellow) and 3(for defeating blue). There are no red challenges, but the red gems are on the board.
3) Each time doom track gets above 8 we reset it to 0 and draw random green storm card. It doesn't matter if it's an event or challenge, everyone resolves it. When we run out of green storm cards(6), we will be drawing yellow storm cards(6), then blue storm cards(also 6). Once we ran out of those and we would have to get new storm card the endgame begins. So as you can see there's tight time limit.
4) Each scion(listed in 2nd post of game thread) has a way to awaken him. If you get on red gem you can awaken the scion if you pass the requirements listed. You don't get the red gem for awakening the Scion, but the gem gets discarded. Because Scions can get knocked out or you might have to discard Scion if you are knocked out we might run out of red gems to awaken Scions. Dead Scions get back to slumbered state, they are never discarded.

I described Endgame in my initial post.

Also, when we are resolving storm challenge then everyone has to fight. 1) Challenge performs its before combat
2) Each of us in CW order performs before combat
3) In CW order each of us can try to escape
4) In CW order we do ranged phase. In this combat we can't defend. Our options are limited to "attack" or "ally attack". Each ally can only attack once per round, but heroes can attack even in all 3 phases. But player can't decide to "pass" given phase or something. Either ally or hero HAS to attack.
5) We all do melee phase in CW order.
6) We all do magic phase in CW order.
7) All heroes that escaped are back into battle and we get back to 3) where they can try to escape again.

Only Heroes who have made an attack roll or inflicted damage in the round of combat during which the Storm Challenge is defeated may claim the reward. For these purposes, “Before Combat” is considered to be in the first round of combat.

To all current players and anyone who would like to join
Actually I would like to house-rule rule in previous paragraph. With the original reward rule if we deal all but 1 wound to the challenge in first round then only 1st hero from 2nd round will reap any rewards, even if he was escaped during first round.

I think something this would be more fair:
Only heroes who aren't currently escaped and either made an attack or dealt damage in any way(rune, ally attack) since beginning of the battle/last time they were escaped(whichever happened later) get the reward.

This would assure that anyone who helped the fight in any significant way will get the rewards. Normally it doesn't matter because the challenges don't ever live past ranged phase, but we multiplied their live by 6, so they have a chance to live trough 1 or more combat rounds.

What do you think? I've already house-ruled this game into oblivion because vanilla Seven Scions doesn't work well, so this one shouldn't hurt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesper Brøchner
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine fine, I'll give it a try

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in, if you'll have me. still a noob.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're in

1 more person to go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ok, its been up a week and no one else has grabbed a spot, I'll happily take it thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's great! I'll start the game in few minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game is set up, please subscribe to this and game threads, draw your 3 characters, select one, and add your 3 gold... As normal

SirWashington, you go first, and I think it's better to wait till everyone chooses, so we won't mix movement posts with other things. This is experimental scions game after all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Miller
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How are we going to work the storm icon in this game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
what's the story with the market cards? I can turn them all over at the city I'm at when I take a market step?

Is having them hidden part of the scions setup? +having some at Tamalir?

Edit: whoa... finally got around to reading the rules. Sounds like a real bear in pbf... but it does sound like playing with 6 will make this more interesting actually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
charlie reif
United States
Glendale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I went out of order getting my player card

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We didn't do the player cards in order, because it's all random.

mil05006 wrote:
How are we going to work the storm icon in this game?

We're adding storm icon to margath card, which I put on undefeated track.

Every time you would move storm counter you instead add doom tokens to margath(card 84)
and roll to check which storm card will we face.

Now, if it's event just test it for everyone in clockwise order, after all that's just 6 random tests.

If it's challenge then everyone has to decide whenever they use any before combat abilities, whenever they will stay to fight, or run away. To make it faster it doesn't have to be done in clockwise order. If you decide to flee just throw for run away as many times as you want. Throw all dices you would have for your before combat abilities.

If you decide to stay and fight then to make it even faster also state something like "I attack in melee and magic, and my ally X attacks in ranged". You can also state some simple algorithm for using your items or anything else you'll find useful, ie. don't use discard to use items.

Then it would be best if one person plays out whole round of combat, for example the person whose turn it is. It will be much faster than waiting for everyone to come for their phase, and we can assume the person playing it out will want to first and foremost win the battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
what's the story with the market cards? I can turn them all over at the city I'm at when I take a market step?

Is having them hidden part of the scions setup? +having some at Tamalir?

Edit: whoa... finally got around to reading the rules. Sounds like a real bear in pbf... but it does sound like playing with 6 will make this more interesting actually.

Yeah, I've house ruled it to no end to make it interesting and playable on forums. I'm pretty sure after 2-3 storm steps we will have everything sorted out and playing smoothly.

As for 3 cards per market it's also house rule, that I use at home for any variant. It's fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
charlier64 wrote:

No prob here, Charlie. no order for drawing char. He only asked we do them all before starting game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
charlier64 wrote:

No prob here, Charlie. no order for drawing char. He only asked we do them all before starting game.

Yeah, and now it's time to start the game. I'll be checking the thread as often as I can to see if anyone will have any problems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm taking market turn in tamalir. I'm assuming i turn over the existing and draw one more?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirWashington wrote:
i'm taking market turn in tamalir. I'm assuming i turn over the existing and draw one more?
He listed the rules for this variant up top, didn't you read them?

Quote:
When first player gets to the town he draws one card like normal and does

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah thanks for that. I read the official rules, and then skimmed his stuff. thought it was mainly about the doom track and the final battle, but thanks for pulling that nugget out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike m
United States
palisades park
nj
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rafal, also curious what this post was (for setup reasons)? You just drew too many market items?
Automatic Response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you create the game the items are automatically drawn to markets, so I had to discard them, then shuffle item deck, then draw 3 cards to each market

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafal Areinu
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, I'm pretty sure old documentation said "show market X" would also reveal the cards, but I see why it's not working like this. It's not a big problem to show each card when you first get into a town, so it's alright.

Edit: Mike, you have to add 1 to doom counter as you didn't defeat anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [9] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.