Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is happening right now - in the assign damage phase I took five wound cards into my hand (in part to play one using Power of Pain); now, we are past the assign damage phase, and now I am doing my one final attack (city assault, pretty much last turn, solo conquest)..

my last card to play from my hand is Blood Rage charged up w a red crystal. Says to take a wound if I want it to be attack 9. I will do this.

Upon picking up the card I will have picked up six wound cards, my hand limit. Per the rulebook it describes this as having these effects:

1. immediately discard all non-wound cards from your hand.

my hand has no cards to discard, everything has already been played.

And then proceeds to point out that yes, I had to count the Blood Rage wound, (I did), and that "your units may continue to fight, you can use any of your skills, and you continue taking wounds..."

I get that knocked out is there so that in the damage phase you can get the effect that you are down and out of attacks; your cards are gone, you are on the ground, while your units can do whatever they can do.

But in this case I am actually attacking, with blood rage. Heck for thematic purposes I am going to imagine this is my one last rageful punch for attack 9 and then I drop to the ground.

I don't even see any other consequences of knock out (iow from what I gather you just get up after every combat).

Thoughts on how I (am about to) play this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe this is from my background in MtG, but I would say that:

1. Once you play Blood Rage, it is no longer in your hand. It's in your play area.
2. The effect of Blood Rage is fully resolved (e.g. you get the full Attack value and gain a wound simultaneously)
3. After Blood Rage is played, you are now knocked out. If you have no other non-wound cards left in your hand, then this essentially does nothing to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy Srinivasan
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO you get to use your Attack 9, and any other attack generated before playing Blood Rage. I don't see anything saying you lose the Attack 9. Though the rulebook doesn't spell out "yes, you may use Attack generated by cards in this phase even after knocking yourself out".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:
I don't even see any other consequences of knock out (iow from what I gather you just get up after every combat).

That is correct. Sometimes being knocked out is no big deal. The biggest problem is your hand will be full of Wounds and you won't draw much at the end of your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
isthar wrote:

That is correct. Sometimes being knocked out is no big deal. The biggest problem is your hand will be full of Wounds and you won't draw much at the end of your turn.

Can you believe how I was able to end this though...

I defeated two of the four enemies on the last level 8 city; then the dummy player marked end of round, I had one final round; I was on the monastery next to the blue city... I had Intimidate, and I red mana charged it for its Influence 8 - that meant 4 healing points (discarded four wounds!), the fifth I still had in hand I could have used it sideways (Power of Pain) for 2 more influence but had no other wounds to heal sadly (the sixth had been discarded due to power of pain from the previous turn).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafael Fuentes
United States
Hialeah
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
isthar wrote:

And in your next turn you'll only be able to discard one wound and in the following turn you could rest to put all wounds in the discard pile, which means that you'd lose your next couple of turns recovering. So getting knocked out has its downside. Correct me if I'm wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fremen wrote:
And in your next turn you'll only be able to discard one wound and in the following turn you could rest to put all wounds in the discard pile, which means that you'd lose your next couple of turns recovering. So getting knocked out has its downside. Correct me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong because he has Power of Pain, so he played off one of his Wounds, so he's below his hand limit and does draw a card, so he could rest and discard all of his Wounds on the next turn, or he could use them over time with Power of Pain, or heal them, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
and to be more precise, the combat had led me to level up and as the advanced action I took Intimidate (to my deck) that's how all the healing the following turn was possible, amazing how this game can have these moments of "wow it just all came together"...

Although I think the designer did probably on purpose put monasteries/villages near cities...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.