Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi,
Played my first game last night, lots of fun!
However, one situation kept cropping up:

[G] [R] [R] [G] [R] [R] [G] [R] [R]

[B] [Y] [B] -----------> [B] [Y] [B] [G] or [B] [Y] [B]

[ ] [ ] [ ] [G] [ ] [ ] [G]

How does the lower Green get resolved? If you roll orthogonal it's easy, but the diagonal resolve I wasn't sure on.
Is it that you imagine the group (or single sheep in this case) sliding from bottom right to top left so that the active player may choose if it ends up right of the [B] or beneath the [B] as shown above?
Also... if there are multiple groups to resolve, do you reroll the die for each group?

Thanks for the terrific game, I only wish the diagrams had been a little larger in the rulebook.

Cheers,
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Haigh-Hutchinson
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Argh! All my formatting was removed!
If I can describe it... a single sheep hanging off the main group of sheep, the orientation doesn't matter.
I can see how the diagonal die roll can make a difference if the sheep is seperated, but if it's next to the group the effect would seem to be the same as the orthogonal roll... or am I missing something?
Thanks,
Mark

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have groups separated from the flock the player is having their turn will roll to re-unite one of those groups back with the flock. That is, the player can choose, if there are more than one group. As far as I remember, you do NOT have to re-unite all groups, but only one in your turn and it is the next persons job to reunite another group, etc.

As far as the diagonal roll, you are correct, the person who rolled decides how to reunite. It is often that the diagonal roll will leave you with two choices and it is entirely up to the player who rolled how to resolve it. This can add to your strategy. Especially if you have two or mote groups to re-unite, you can choose the one that would benefit you most or hurt others most and hope for a good roll, wether that be diagonal or orthagonal.

This was my interpretation of the rules at BGG.Con and I hope I was right (cuz I did teach it to many others!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding is that the active player:

- Must reunite all groups before the next turn

- Must start with the smallest group, or choose if there is a tie

- Must roll the horiz/diag die if there is a choice between horiz/diag, otherwise not.

- If there is a choice of horiz, the active player may choose

- If there is a choice of diag., the active player may choose

- If there are further groups to rejoin, repeat until there is one group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but I am pretty sure you do not have to resolve all groups. However, if I am correct, it should say so somewhere in the rules. If it doesn't I bet Sterling is right (and I made this up in my mind...)! So check the rulebook again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Babcock
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Winkles is here to help!
badge
Please let me know how I can help you.
mbmbmbmbmb
It is not explicity stated in the rules but is shown in the example.

Section B on page 5: Resolving the Flock: If the flock becomes separated, then it is brought back together as follows:

It then goes on to describe the method for one rejoin followed by an example.

You have to look at the example on the bottom of page 5. It shows a series of 3 rejoins by one player, and how they could have chosen to do it in 2 rejoins if the player had so chosen. (Figures 29-32)

What interested me in reviewing the rules is figure 28. I had no idea that a diagonal move could move a sheep farther than the adjoining 8 squares.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Lamont
Scotland
Dunblane
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
My understanding is that the active player:

- Must reunite all groups before the next turn

- Must start with the smallest group, or choose if there is a tie

- Must roll the horiz/diag die if there is a choice between horiz/diag, otherwise not.

- If there is a choice of horiz, the active player may choose

- If there is a choice of diag., the active player may choose

- If there are further groups to rejoin, repeat until there is one group.

Sterling is quite right. The groups continue to be resolved until the flock is completely rejoined.
Steps 1 and 2 in the rules section 'B. Resolving the Flock' are repeated until this occurs.

When reconnecting, as long as the seperated group moves in a straight line AND reconnects with the flock, there is no limit to the number of spaces it may move.

If a sheep travelling diagonally meets another sheep on a diagonal, the active player has the choice of how the sheep will reconnect. He can choose between either facing side (see fig. 28)
As Sterling mentioned, there are times when the die is not required (because there is no possibility of a choice). An example of this is seen in fig. 29 - 32 where two of the groups did not require a die roll, but the third group did.

Fraser Lamont
Fragor Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dicemanjnr wrote:

When reconnecting, as long as the seperated group moves in a straight line AND reconnects with the flock, there is no limit to the number of spaces it may move.

Now this is something I completely missed! Thanks for bringing it up, Sterling, and thanks for the clarification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
dicemanjnr wrote:
If a sheep travelling diagonally meets another sheep on a diagonal, the active player has the choice of how the sheep will reconnect. He can choose between either facing side (see fig. 28)

This figure does not seem to appear in the Mayfair rules, and I'm having trouble visualizing this situation. Can someone please illustrate it here, or post a picture?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
XXXX
XblankblankY
Xblankblankblank
blankZblankblank

I believe it describes the above situation. Sheep Z could go orthogonal or diagonal so the die is rolled. If it goes diagonal, it moves up and to the right - and meets another sheep (Sheep Y) on the diagonal. In which case the resolving player chooses whether it goes up or right from that space (coming to rest either immediately to the left of Sheep Y, or immediately below Sheep Y, respectively).

That's my impression, anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Orleans
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha, thanks, so it also answers my question in another thread about whether the die is rolled if it's touching diagonally: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/130904

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
XXXX
XblankblankY
Xblankblankblank
blankZblankblank

I believe it describes the above situation. Sheep Z could go orthogonal or diagonal so the die is rolled. If it goes diagonal, it moves up and to the right - and meets another sheep (Sheep Y) on the diagonal. In which case the resolving player chooses whether it goes up or right from that space (coming to rest either immediately to the left of Sheep Y, or immediately below Sheep Y, respectively).

That's my impression, anyway.

I thought the sheep was supposed to move in a straight line in order to join the group. If, in your example, sheep Z reconnects with sheep Y, it would have moved in a bend line. Is this really possible?
But if it is so, the red sheep in fig. 21 (Mayfair rules) should also be able to reconnect with the green sheep on the left!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
There's a difference. As I understand it, a sheep moves as far as it can until it has an orthogonal connect or it can move no further (and the rule question I was answering has to do with 'what to do if your sheep moves as far as it can but can move no further because its movement is blocked by a sheep on that diagonal'. ("If a sheep travelling diagonally meets another sheep on a diagonal...")

The sheep in Fig 21, if it were to move up-left, would not have anything 'stopping' it. It would never be orthogonal to any sheep, nor would it's straight-line movement be 'met' by another sheep on the diagonal if it were to move that way - it would have a straight unobstructed line to infinity. That's why movement in that direction is not allowed.

I don't think of it as a 'bend' move at all. I see it as a straight line movement that results in a situation where the flock is still disconnected, and so another straight line movement is required to resolve the herd. Just like a move that breaks the herd into 3 clusters (ie, figs 23-24-25).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, now I get it!
I don't feel the Mayfair rules are that clear on this issue though.
The rule is a bit fiddly, but I will play this way from now on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.