Eric Boeschenstein
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hello friends I'm looking to buy my first Expansion for Cosmic Encounter.

I would like the help from you guys about the differences between the 3 expansions available and the personal opinion of you about what you guys think is the best or most interesting expansion to have.

Thanks for the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just buy them in order they came out, or just get all 3. the biggest improvement to the game is in Cosmic Incursion, with the rewards deck. They are all good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manary Corte
Brazil
São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
Best game of all time...
badge
...Twilight Imperium 3!
mbmbmbmbmb
Boeschenstein wrote:

I would like the help from you guys about the differences between the 3 expansions available and the personal opinion of you about what you guys think is the best or most interesting expansion to have.

Thanks for the help!

Hi Eric,

Every expansion provides an extra color and 20 new alien races, so they're about equal in this point.

On top of that, Cosmic Incursion provides a Reward deck, which is a very nice mechanic, and one I play every time.

Cosmic Conflict provides a Hazard Deck, which is formed by random cards that affect the game in numerous ways and are applied to every player. I think they are OK, but a lot of people don't like them.

Finally, Cosmic Alliance provides cards for a large group game, and extra rules to this kind of gameplay. If you're getting only one expansion, I don't recommend you to buy this one.

I would stick with Cosmic Incursion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Garbett
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Will Provide Statistics for Data
mbmbmbmbmb
You find a fun game, you're so into you have to have more. Then you discover all the expansions, and sink your money in wanting more and more. Then the game play goes down, there's a whole bunch more rules to content with and in general I find myself going back to base games most of the time. I find a few exceptions.

- PowerGrid. More maps, different resource allocations. Nice. The core game is untouched, just more ways to play it.

- SmallWorld. More races and powers for the mix. The cards / necromancer don't work near as well.

- Cosmic Encounter. Every expansion adds more races and more insanity. Buy every expansion till they mention moons, especially cheese moons. FFG hasn't sunk to that yet. When they get to moons, they've hit bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Coolen
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reward Deck is really nice. We always use them as well.
We mostly play with the Hazard deck too, but we have a houserule here: You only draw a Hazard card if you decide to take a second encounter after your first succeeded. Makes it a little less random and 'your own fault' if things go awry

Actually, getting the expansions for the new aliens/more players is already worth it, I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Shaw
United States
Kennesaw
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

You might want to determine how many players you're likely to have in a given session then get the expansions you need for that number with the additions you like the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty Patterson
Saudi Arabia
Ras Tanura
Eastern Province
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManCorte wrote:

What he said.

Cosmic Incursion gives you Rewards and 20 new alien powers. Go with that one. And. Buy them in order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
djhopscotch wrote:
buy them in order
RustyInRT wrote:
Buy them in order.

Buy them in order.

This is one of the few things around here that almost everyone agrees on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dawson
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll agree that you should buy them in order, but just to clarify, the expansions aren't like Race for the Galaxy. They still work if you buy them separately. It's just that the priority you should get the expansions is in chronological order.

Enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reda
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Guess the games in my uberbadge!
badge
My favorite game is Cosmic Encounter.
mbmbmbmbmb
Buy them in order. But buy them all. I love having all three expansions, and I'm hungry for the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boeschenstein
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ManCorte wrote:
Boeschenstein wrote:

Thanks for the help!

Hi Eric,

Every expansion provides an extra color and 20 new alien races, so they're about equal in this point.

On top of that, Cosmic Incursion provides a Reward deck, which is a very nice mechanic, and one I play every time.

Cosmic Conflict provides a Hazard Deck, which is formed by random cards that affect the game in numerous ways and are applied to every player. I think they are OK, but a lot of people don't like them.

Finally, Cosmic Alliance provides cards for a large group game, and extra rules to this kind of gameplay. If you're getting only one expansion, I don't recommend you to buy this one.

Thanks for the explanations and congratulations for the award of Geek of the Week # 392, you work has brought recognition to the community of Board in Brazil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Boeschenstein
Brazil
Brasília
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks to all. I will buy the expansions in chronological order.
I'm already anxious to receive the first expanção.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
To piggyback on this thread, I just got the game and grabbed all the expansions at the same time (didn't want them to drop out of print again). I've never played but have read the rules a few times so I think I have a good grasp. Would anyone recommend just starting with the rewards deck for our first game? Anything else we should mix in?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mattamd wrote:
To piggyback on this thread, I just got the game and grabbed all the expansions at the same time (didn't want them to drop out of print again). I've never played but have read the rules a few times so I think I have a good grasp. Would anyone recommend just starting with the rewards deck for our first game? Anything else we should mix in?

I think you should be able to include the Rewards Deck in your first game without much trouble. It just depends on your group. If your players are fairly savvy gamers, the Rewards Deck will work fine. If you have players who don't play a lot of games, I might suggest leaving them out at first so that you can focus on the core play experience instead.

Personally, I do not recommend using the following variants for your first few plays: Hidden Powers, Rotating Powers, Freewheeling Flares, Tech Cards, Hazard Deck, Team Cosmic

If you'd like to limit your selection of Alien Powers for the first game or two, here's a possible list of candidates that I recommend and have had good success with: Clone, Cudgel, Filch, Hacker, Loser, Macron, Mutant, Pacifist, Parasite, Sorceror, Warrior, Zombie

The above list of Alien Powers supports drawing of Flares for only up to 6 players. If you want to play with 7 or 8, I might recommend adding Observer, Oracle, Trader and Will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Evans
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Board Game Replay
badge
Check out our series at youtube.com/boardgamereplay
mbmbmbmbmb
^ This is a big help, thank you! I was debating whether or not to add flares to the first game because I had heard mixed reviews about initial experiences. I will certainly take all your suggestions here into account!

-Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Opinions are divided on whether or not flares should be in the first game. I'm not too concerned about it either way, so use the gamer-savviness of your players as a guide.

However, you should definitely be using flares by your second or third game. They add so many good dynamics to the game, and really enhance the appeal of deliberately losing with a Negotiate card in order to rob the opponent's hand. Due to their repeatability, flares have the unique property of advertising their own location and making their user a target for burglary. Good stuff!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Compulsive Completist
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play with Filch. I love Filch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.