Subject: How Is Java??? Cuz I Love Tikal!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
If I love Tikal, will I like Java? I will mainly be playing with 2!
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Tikal, but I never warmed up to Java. I found it a tad too fiddly and with the wrong players, it can suffer from analysis paralysis FAR more than Tikal. In that "series" of games, I would probably recommend Mexica over Java any day.

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is smoking dope.

Java is awesome with 2, 3 or 4 players. It is our all-time favorite - with 2 players. Definitely give it a go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like both Java and Tikal but I think Java is the better of the two. Definately worth getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Woodard
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not smoking dope.

Average length of Tikal games I have played: 75-90 mins.
Average length of Mexica games I have played: SAME
Average length of Java games I have played: 2-3 hours!!! And trust me, I wasn't the one slowing the game down...

~Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Tracy
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odds are if you like one, you will like the other. I think Java is a little heavier, but both are good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P B
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry Scott - I was only playing.

Our average Java game is 1.5 hrs. It moves along just fine. Yes, it is a heavy game that requires you to think due to the many options and strategies on hand, but why would that be a bad thing? I've said this before, 'analysis paralysis' is not an characteristic of any game, but rather that of the players.

Mexica is primarily an area control game which does not work well for two players. I've tried it. We basically went back and forth vying for dominance. Very boring.

I think Java is by far the best of the series. Torres is also excellent - though it falls down one notch because it is the most abstract of all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Rossney
United States
San Francisco
California [CA]
flag msg tools
I think that Java is heavy and interesting. I think that Tikal is heavy and dull.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer Mexica from the lot of them. Mexica is the only one with perfect information (only luck is actions of other players). Torres is also perfect information if you play by the advanced rules. Having the full arsenal of cards, though, is also significantly more complicated (can you spell AP?).

I just love cruising the guys (I can't even remember what they're called anymore--Mexicas?) around the board by foot and by boat with the developing canals, balancing movement with building placement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Java a lot. Haven't had any AP problems as yet.

Tikal and Torres are also good, though Torres is fairly abstract. Haven't played Mexica.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kandrac
United States
Grand Prairie
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tikal is the best, especially with the auction variant; Mexica a somewhat close second.

Java is more like work and less fun simply because it does induce far more analysis paralysis than its brothers. This is due to the fact that there are far more possibilities to consider with each move, more scoring methods, three dimensionality, and the complexity of having to place various terrain types. You must also consider when to pull the trigger on the use of the action point chips.

This has been my experience with different game groups.

Gg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Tikal as well. Java is very good, although didn't grab me quite as much. However, the pieces and having elevation matter, is very interesting and I am always up for a game.

As the others have mentioned, Torres is a very good game as well. The theme is there, although not as engrossing as it is in Tikal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Robinson
England
Bewdley
Confusion
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many games, Java is an acquired taste. It is quite mathematical and the permutations can be quite overwhelming, especially towards the end of the game. The end game of Java is crucial and a lot of people are annoyed the first time they play as they underestimate how much it is worth- you can sometimes get half of your victory points or more on the final turn- but the payoff is depth and strategy. I feel that Java is deeper and more strategic than Tikal, and another point is that it is by far one of the most aesthetically pleasing games there is; the final board with the elevated padi fields is a truly beautiful sight. I'm also biased in that I don't like Tikal that much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our group has been playing the "mask trilogy" since early December. All three are fun and have a uniqueness to them. I won't repeat the previous observations, but personally I like Tikal and Mexica better than Java.

Bob
arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with the dope smoker on this one.

Tikal has a great atmosphere, along with being a tense game. Java feels just about as abstract as they get. Analysis paralysis is more prominant in Java because a player cannot really plan ahead. Planning and moving all occur during a player's turn, because the previous player has a huge impact on the active player's position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Drapala
United States
Temecula
California
flag msg tools
does Torres play well with 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Martin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Tikal, you'll like Java as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamegrunt wrote:
Tikal is the best, especially with the auction variant; Mexica a somewhat close second.

The problem is, Tikal with the auction variant takes easily twice as long as a game of Mexica. I actually prefer Tikal with the auction variant as well, but I almost never play it that way, because time is such a limited commodity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
robartin wrote:
If you like Tikal, you'll like Java as well.

I like Tikal but disliked Java enough to trade it away. sauron

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
TheFreshPrince wrote:
does Torres play well with 2?

Yes. (And 3 or 4).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Played Java for the first time last night (and won!).

No doubt about the analysis paralysis. Of the three other veteran players, the one that came in second took 25 minutes for one of his end turns! After about 20 min I finally said, "What are you doing??? It's been 20 minutes! Just put some tiles down!" He finally decided on some elaborate overlapping scheme and got himself 2 for a temple and 2 for a festival. All that for 4 points. I hadn't looked at board during that time, and picked up 6 points without blinking (ok ~5 min) dropping tiles in a completely different location.

Yeah, you can really get bogged down with calculating the possibilities in this game. Game length looks to be ~2hours. Perhaps 90 minutes with average players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom "Snicker Daddy" Pancoast
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case it isn't obvious from the replies above, Java is a considerably slower and more thoughtful game than Tikal. Certainly it isn't clear that liking Tikal will insure that you like Java. If you like the action points of Tikal but wish you had more control and wouldn't mind a little brain burn, then you will probably like Java.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.