kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, there. I recently acquired Jaipur. I like most all of it--the art, the decisions, the pacing. But my husband does not like it quite as much. He says that there is an unpleasant feeling when very good cards (diamonds, silver, gold) are flipped over for the next player after he has taken not-as-valuable cards (leather, cloth) from the table. This windfall feels unfair to him because of its randomness. He doesn't like the decision of taking the lesser-value cards from the table because of the fear that very good cards will come up. Can anybody suggest a different rule or a variant that would make it so that we both enjoyed the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Jaipur for 19 times now with my girlfriend and I have won probably 75% of the game.

At the beginning it might seem like the flip of the card determines a lot of the game. It is actually not true. I have had two games out of the 19 when my girlfriend had all 5 ruby cards but I still came out on top. One of them she even had the first 3 gold chips too!

There is subtle strategy in this game that my girlfriend yet have to learn but it is there. Like Todd mentioned above, we need to know when to take camels, when to take cards, when to sell and things like that.

For example, I've always made sure that I have 1 more camel than my girlfriend at all times to ensure that 5 pt advantage. If I were to lose on the camel count, I better be sure what I am doing will get me a net profit of 5 points or more.

Due to the fact that we both hate to flip ruby and gold cards for each other, we have come down to a strategy of low selling goods (sometimes we dump only 1 card at a time just to make sure it is the opponent that flip the card, not I). Of course, there is still luck involved when my girlfriend killed me me one game with 80 pts to 48. But with my track record of winning a lot I know it will happen sometime and I do accept that luck is inovled simply because this is a card game.

The normal scoring between us two is around 70 for the victor and 60 for the loser.

I think this game is elegantly designed. It just takes a little bit more to discover the strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darksurtur
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or he could be right. Jaipur is not that complex, and while the randomness of rare goods appearance is not a determinant of victory, I found that opportune appearance of those goods IS a strong influencing factor. To me, that degenerates the strategy, and that the tension of flipping that remains is much better conveyed via games such as Lost Cities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Williams
United States
Tonganoxie
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep Jaipur, get a new husband!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Luck factor is an inevitable factor in a card game. What separates a great card game and a good card game is the design that allows the players to minimize the luck factor. I think Jaipur did a good job on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
The camel bonus is big. Pay attention to who gets the bonus and who wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BadSpeller
msg tools
Jaipur has a depth that is not easily see by many gamers at first.

Most of the time that I have a winning hand, I do NOT have the camel token.

I use up the camels to gain many cards, OR to flood the market with camels. By having 5 camels in the market causes a game of Chicken, who is going to flinch first and take all the camels that reveal 5 new cards to the other player?
Have you, as a player, prepared your hand ahead of time to have things to sell? So as to not be forced to take the 5 camels? (i.e.-sell only 1 brown at a time, even though you have 2 browns.)

Do you, as a player, look at the odds of what might be turned up?
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/635140/jaipur-strat-counting...

To be consistently good at Jaipur, remember what is in the other person hand and use a lot of math probability. That is what the top online Jaipur players are doing to stay at the top. Also, like poker, you need to out play the person, not just the game.

Playing at that level might take out some of the fun for those playing, but I find Jaipur is a simple game to learn but hard to master because it plays different with different people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Chen
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You good Sir have good writing skill and good points! Have a GG! I agree with you 100%
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Posey
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kataclysm wrote:
He says that there is an unpleasant feeling when very good cards (diamonds, silver, gold) are flipped over for the next player after he has taken not-as-valuable cards (leather, cloth) from the table.

You might be playing the game wrong because this isn't quite right. If a player takes MULTIPLE goods cards from the table, you are required to replace them with cards from your hand. When you take ONE goods card, you are required to replace it with a card from the draw deck. It's a subtle difference that really changes the strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kat costa
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
badge
Yup.
mbmbmbmbmb
mst3k4L wrote:
You might be playing the game wrong because this isn't quite right. If a player takes MULTIPLE goods cards from the table, you are required to replace them with cards from your hand. When you take ONE goods card, you are required to replace it with a card from the draw deck.

That is how we've been playing (one card free, multiple cards traded). I was over-approximating in my post. blush Probably thinking of camels at the time. Thanks for checking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.