Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
56 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Love Lords of Waterdeep--now what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: popcorn [+] [View All]
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
Hello!
I'm new to BGG and modern board games (altho I had all the standard roll 'n go junk as a kid of the 70's & 80's)

I recently got Lords of Waterdeep on the recommendation of Joel Eddy and others who love the game. **I have to add here that I think this game has one of the BEST rule books ever printed--concise, clear, easy to read and understand, AND pretty to boot!**

My question is--if I ADORE this game, what next?

Thanks!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
Canada
Pickering
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion comes out in August
Scoundrels of Skullport
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are new to modern games then I suggest slowly expanding your horizons by experimenting with new mechanics.
Lords of Waterdeep is primarily a worker placement mechanic. Look into other types of games...when I first discovered games, my goal was to explore each mechanic and decide what I liked best.

my suggestions are all traditional stalwarts of the industry

Puerto Rico- Action Selection mechanic
El Grande - Tough to nail down a mechanic, but auction/selection
Ra - Pure Auction
Tigris & Euphrates - Tile Laying...hybrid...awesomeness

and I will catch some flak for this one
Small World - Area Control
I recommend this one because waterdeep is a fantasy setting, as is smallworld. Smallworld is a pretty good game, we wore out our copy..but there are a lot of haters out there.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Step 1: Buy custom Waterdeep meeples ([thread=807557]DnDeeples[/thread])

Step 2: Pre-Order Waterdeep expansion

Step 3: If still not satisfied, try another game similar to Waterdeep like the ones listed here. I'd suggest Ninajto but really choosing your games is half the fun. Read reviews, especially the unfavorable ones. See what people are saying about it. Read the rulebook and look at pictures of it if you like. Maybe go to a local game night in your area and try a few. And then check out some of the online game retailers and build up a cart until you can get free shipping.

And then... enjoy!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Herrera
United States
Vancouver
WA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It kind of depends on what you like when you aren't playing board games or what sounds good to you. There are many genres out there and it is kind of hard to narrow it down based on just "I really like this game."

However, here are a few that you may want to look at from different genres:

Suburbia - Think SimCity the board game
Archipelago - A game about founding a colony, keeping its people happy and exploiting trading in your favor
Descent (Second Edition) - Maybe you liked the theme of DnD, in which case this is like playing a DnD campaign

Those are three general categories, but give you some place to start. Hope that helps, but I would recommend going under reviews/comments on Lords of Waterdeep, see what some people have said about it and if they say pretty much what you think, check out what games they own or recommend as well. Welcome to the Geek!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yedo. It's Lords of Waterdeep but way, way, better.
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninjato
Belfort
Alien Frontiers
I heard Yedo is what Lords of Waterdeep should have been

Also I made this geek list which may help: Euro games with visual appeal
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des Lee
Australia
Quakers Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love LoW too!

Some similar games that you might enjoy:

Stone Age: Also a worker placement game of similar weight to Lords of Waterdeep. However perhaps it's a little too similar if you have a small collection.

Fresco: This is more of a simultaneous action selection game than worker placement, but you still get to place meeples to do stuff The artwork and components are gorgeous and I think its theme is quite well realised (moreso than LoW's pasted on theme). The game emphasises forward planning and careful selection of actions.

Revolution! : A blind bidding game that has you trying to outguess your opponents. A fun, light game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
I actually have Small World Underground--fun game
Thank you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
Ooh custom MEEPLES!! Thank you
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
Thank you And thank you everyone for your recommends!!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OxfordRow wrote:
Yedo. It's Lords of Waterdeep but way, way, better.


If by "way, way better" you mean "way, way longer without really adding all that much to make the game more enjoyable," well, yes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dlikos wrote:

El Grande - Tough to nail down a mechanic, but auction/selection
(...)
Small World - Area Control

Does anyone remember when El Grande was the poster child for area control? I mean, before the community - and the admins - decided to ignore BGG's own definitions, eventually coming to everyone having a different idea of "area control"? shake

Note: I swear this will be my only post in this thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
Yedo. It's Lords of Waterdeep but way, way, better.


If by "way, way better" you mean "way, way longer without really adding all that much to make the game more enjoyable," well, yes.


It adds theme, which for many does make it more enjoyable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
Yedo: But when the guard comes around you LOSE YOUR DUDES??? O.O That seems pretty harsh :o(
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
Waylander1 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
Yedo. It's Lords of Waterdeep but way, way, better.


If by "way, way better" you mean "way, way longer without really adding all that much to make the game more enjoyable," well, yes.


It adds theme, which for many does make it more enjoyable.


I wouldn't say it "adds" theme, it just has a different theme. I think Waterdeep has been very successful because of its theme.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Waylander1 wrote:
matthean wrote:
Waylander1 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
Yedo. It's Lords of Waterdeep but way, way, better.


If by "way, way better" you mean "way, way longer without really adding all that much to make the game more enjoyable," well, yes.


It adds theme, which for many does make it more enjoyable.


I wouldn't say it "adds" theme, it just has a different theme. I think Waterdeep has been very successful because of its theme.


I love LoW but it's hard to deny the theme could have been anything, it's loosely pasted on and doesn't affect gameplay which is the core of its success.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schwerdtfeger
United States
Redondo Beach
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Waylander1 wrote:
matthean wrote:
Waylander1 wrote:
OxfordRow wrote:
Yedo. It's Lords of Waterdeep but way, way, better.


If by "way, way better" you mean "way, way longer without really adding all that much to make the game more enjoyable," well, yes.


It adds theme, which for many does make it more enjoyable.


I wouldn't say it "adds" theme, it just has a different theme. I think Waterdeep has been very successful because of its theme.


I love LoW but it's hard to deny the theme could have been anything, it's loosely pasted on and doesn't affect gameplay which is the core of its success.


I think you could largely say the same thing for Yedo.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyway, no point debating a mute moot point. Back on topic, I suggest Cyclades and Seasons. Both are great games offering a few different core mechanics with great art and components.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Anyway, no point debating a mute point. Back on topic, I suggest Cyclades and Seasons. Both are great games offering a few different core mechanics with great art and components.



FYI: a "moot" point.


A "mute" point would mean a point that does not have the ability to talk.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
Thank you! Cyclades is on its way to me, along with Kemet actually because I thought they were both so gorgeous
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Anyway, no point debating a mute point. Back on topic, I suggest Cyclades and Seasons. Both are great games offering a few different core mechanics with great art and components.



FYI: a "moot" point.


A "mute" point would mean a point that does not have the ability to talk.


Not according to my iPad.

RoriRants wrote:
Thank you! Cyclades is on its way to me, along with Kemet actually because I thought they were both so gorgeous


Awesome! You should check out my other geek list, you will definitely find a game or 5:

Thematic games with top notch components
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
Y'all--don't be grammar and spelling police, please? soblue Life is too short--play a game instead. meeple
This has been a thread public announcement service, thank you.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rori Lee
msg tools
mb
RUH ROH! *runs off to check thread*
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
pfctsqr wrote:
LunarSoundDesign wrote:
Anyway, no point debating a mute point. Back on topic, I suggest Cyclades and Seasons. Both are great games offering a few different core mechanics with great art and components.



FYI: a "moot" point.


A "mute" point would mean a point that does not have the ability to talk.


Not according to my iPad.

RoriRants wrote:
Thank you! Cyclades is on its way to me, along with Kemet actually because I thought they were both so gorgeous


Awesome! You should check out my other geek list, you will definitely find a game or 5:

Thematic games with top notch components



Then you need a new ipad.



http://grammar.quickanddirtytips.com/moot-versus-mute.aspx
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.