Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I'm about to launch BattleAxe on Kickstarter.com and I am wondering on what to set the "goal" to.

The game is mostly small components and A LOT of unique miniatures. Very little printing.

Has anyone ever had custom miniatures produced for mass production by a manufacturer for a board game? Is there any ONE way that is easist/cheapest?

--Mail in the miniatures?
--Send a 3D file of the miniature?
--Send in a drawing and have them mold it?
--Other?

Any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated

Nick Ryan
nickryanartist@gmail.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick Ryan wrote:
I'm about to launch BattleAxe on Kickstarter.com and I am wondering on what to set the "goal" to.

The game is mostly small components and A LOT of unique miniatures. Very little printing.

Has anyone ever had custom miniatures produced for mass production by a manufacturer for a board game? Is there any ONE way that is easist/cheapest?

--Mail in the miniatures?
--Send a 3D file of the miniature?
--Send in a drawing and have them mold it?
--Other?

Any advice or help would be GREATLY appreciated :)

Nick Ryan
nickryanartist@gmail.com

Get a quote from a trusted manufacturer before you do anything on kickstarter.

If you don't know how many the minimum order quantity is, or what the costs to set-up and produce your game - you are setting yourself up to lose a lot of money or fail to deliver.

You'll get advice here I am sure - some will be good, and others will be well meaning but wrong. If you don't know how youa re going to make your game then you don't know enough to launch a kickststarter project to do so!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am NOT any sort of expert or anything involving kickstarter, but I think that these are questions that you NEED answers to before staring your kickstarter campaign. Otherwise you may have some nasty surprises down the line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:

If you don't know how many the minimum order quantity is, or what the costs to set-up and produce your game - you are setting yourself up to lose a lot of money or fail to deliver.

Very much this.

Are all the sculpts done?

Mold costs are the largest part of any minis game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Ryan
United States
Idyllwild
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks everybody for the input so far. I'm talking with Ludo Fact right now they are working on my quote for 3,000 copies. I just wanted to know if anyone had any experiences already with miniature making.

Keep the advice comin'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Gadea
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're going to hear this kind of advice a lot with a question like this: There's no real limit to how high or low you should set the goal to, but you MUST have an accurate idea of production and shipping costs before posting on KS or you will definitely lose money.

It sounds like you're in a stage slightly before KS where you need to actually figure out the answers to your questions here before getting too far ahead of yourself. I could Google around a find a dozen sites that do miniatures but I could never just refer you without knowing the scale of production your game requires (size, material, quantities, duplicate-ability).

You could get in contact with someone who owns a 3D printer. I've known amateur game developers to go to a friend who's got a 3D printer and they tell them what they need or give them a prototype, and this machine produces plastic replicas.

This could be something you start with for a slightly mass production of unique pieces.

Just looked at the pics of your game. It looks awesome
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike L.
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are making a kickstarter I highly suggest posting a preview here or somewhere else to get feedback on the design. If here I will do my best to rip it a new one and hopefully make it better by doing so.

And get all costs figured out before posting your kickstarter, I have heard several games have gone in the red because they didn't do the calculations right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ok. Here goes.

Minis game?
Along with art intensice card games these are THE most expensive games to produce.

Heres how it works.

A: You need a factory that can press the minis.
B: You need the sculpts, either actual sculpts or 3d models to base the molds on. This will cost you depending on wether or not you do it yourself or not. Lets guess not. Sculpts can set you back 50-200 a sculpt right out the gate.
C: You have the molds made. THIS is where the real cost of minis games comes from. The molds will cost 1000 to 10000 per mold. Now you can cut costs some by packing as many units to a single mold as you can. But expect 2-5 molds per faction in a game. This will be a factor of the place making the minis.
D: pressing the minis. This is usually dirt cheap. BUT, small press runs will cost more than large ones. 1000 minis might cost you 500$, where 10000 minis might cost you only 1000$.

From there it gets REALLY messy. Many factories that press wont have the printing and boxing fascilities for the rest of the game. You will have to manage having the minis shipped to another factory thats doing the boxing and you may need also another printer to print all the paper stuff.

One option is to look at companies that handle all this at once. Theres a list around on the forums for that. Likely stickied.

Y and Z: There is also the costs of shipping and storage. 1000 games can take up alot of space and a minis game is likely to be one of those with a large footprint.

Plan out everything before you start otherwise you will likely not garner much interest. Especially now with the intense competition of other massively minis heavy games allready out there on KS Like Myth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.