Subject: kind of new rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Hi,

I would suggest i take the short cut and hope to find some answers or valuable lessons here. I'm not sure if i'm in the right forum, which is part of my thing. So just let's start with the talk and hope you can advice or re-direct me.

I'm close to print my own game and i don't want to spam about that. It's more that i found this page through my search for information on how to start something in the gaming industry. And you can say i'm new to forums, so i'm a kind of lost here.

My search is kind of related to these topics:

- i don't want to spam about my game, but know this is a main website, so how can i still show my game.
- who are the reviewers i could show my game (it's based on colour and numbers) so it's not a graphic game as Thunderstone, but closer to the design of UNO
- What are the expectations of a BGG-user, what can one do, say, contribute etc.
- in which ways can you use this website. I saw a lot of different topics, it's why i got lost. I always loved to play games, got some myself or share them with my brothers/sisters. But as i'm new to fora, i don't know the social rules, the legal rules, the way to get connected to others.

And the more specific is related to:

- How to enter the game-industry when you would like to be a self-pubisher. Already knowing testplaying with others then family/friends is important.
- How to show you (or actually your game) exist
- Which reviewers are good to ask for a review? I ask this more because the review is well appreciated and not towards the game i created. It's more based on the quality and appreciation of the review then to find a related partner.

And ofcourse all other humps i might get into.

Thanks in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
visit this:
http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/26/boardgamegeek/board-game-d...

That's the Board Game Design forum.

Plenty of other game designers have walked the path you now follow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
I thought so as well. Thanks for the link!

A forum is a maze for me, so any directions are welcome. And i'm planning to take any route through it, turn around at the exit sign and get lost again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome William,

Lets start with the Promotion.

BGG has rules on promoting goods and services which a user has a personal stake in. In short you are allowed one post in Press Releases to actively promote your game.

Information to do with the game itself (excluding market information; where to buy, etc), however, doesn't count as promotion and is welcomed. The more information you can share the better. The best way to do this is, assuming your design is largely finished, properly play-tested and all but ready to go, is to create an record of your game on BGG. This will give those interested someone to go and create a public forum, gallery, etc store where relevant material and chat can take place.

See top bar window; MISC: add game, add person (designer), add person (artist), add company (publisher).

Additionally, It's possible to officially advertise/promote through BGG. Contact the Advertising Manager Chad for options, costs and perks.

As for General Rules:

The core rules can be mainly found in the readable Community Rules and the slightly less readable Terms of Service. Additionally, many advanced features have additional guidelines/rules attached (file upload, geek mod, image upload etc). If in doubt please contact the Community Manager Octavian.

The big rules are simply show common courtesy in your posts & Respect others. The fact that you are already showing an interest in learning the community's ways suggest that you'll fit in great.

This said while friendly the BGG community has it's fair share of opinionated loud mouths (I'm one) so do expect and look forward to a robust critique of any design you share and try not to take any criticisms personally or strongly.

For your information, if you ever see something that you want to react negatively to simply press the RED Cross at the bottom of that users post and forget about it. This flags the user's post to the admins who can have a wee look.

Finding your way round the site(s)

Oh boy! The Geek can be a maze when you start out. Firstly, it's made up of three sites Boardgamegeek, RPGgeek and VideoGameGeek. The big site and original site is BGG. You can travel between the sites by using the top bar. Let's stick to BGG but these points are pretty much true of all the sites.

BGG can be a maze when you start out. The easiest way to think about it is like an onion with multiple layers.

First Layer:

The first Layer is the 'General forums' you can see this by going to forums in the top bar.

The database Layer:

Underneath the general forums we have the database. It's sort of individual items (Games, People, Companies, Families) that are interconnected. Primarily users will use this layer to look at games. There are multiple ways to navigate to a game's record but the easiest simplest is to use the search bar.

Each item's record has a wee blurb explain what it is, forum, video collection, file collection, picture gallery, external links selection and finally automated links to related items.

Filtered layers:

Finally there are multiple ways to surf the site to ones own specification, I'm not going to go into detail here. As an example the front page you see is a selection of things from both layers.

Finally:

Bottom line, yes it will feel like a maze till you get the hang of it.

Here are some of links:
Top 100 games as voted for by the users
Guides to using the site
New user/Any user questions (lots of friendly users will answer your questions here.)
Designer Forums - This is where I see you spending a lot of time. Many of your design questions has already been answered here but do post them again if there is still something your unsure of. Asking the community questions is a contribution - so please give generously.
Recommendations - Tell folk what you're looking for in a game and they can give you a personal recommendation.
Admin list - Who is Who - what they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved to New User Questions

Geekmailed William with the new home. This way you should get better responses and a warmer welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
Another thanks and thumps up for what you have done with the post/questions i have. I always played games since i was younger, so the forum is a kind of exotic jungle where a lot of new species can be discovered and i'm planning to do so.

The information you gave is very welcome and i will take a look around here.

About making a page for the game. It's going to the printer in the end of april, but i already have a copy that has been made by a regular copy shop. It has the design, just like i have the box design in a pdf and jpg. Is it already nice and good to make the page or to wait for the real prints that will be delivered in the end of may or start of june?

Considering the replies/reviews/comments on the game. Both positive and negative are welcome. Positive because it gives a supportive feeling and the negative to challenge yourself, understand them and see if they apply to my vision/design. It can only make things better isn't it.

Thanks for the welcome!

I'm a humble guest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the BGG/

Start off by describing the game, elements of interest, how it plays, flows, and the player interactions.

If your game is goinf to print soonish then a BGG entry is likely allowed. Make sure you mention the factors of when it hits the shelves.

Failing that, create a BGG blog and talk about the game and its development there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
I'm going in the end of april to the printer. So i will wait a bit till i put it in the gameslist. Tomorrow i will start a blog about it, explaining a bit more about the game.
The English translation are coming this week. Also better to wait with them i guess, cause my English is not bad, but not close to perfect. They will give a view about how the game is played, the interaction between players etc etc.

So tomorrow there will be more information about the game and the looks.

If you would like to know more about the game you can check the blog on my profile. Lets start there and later on when production is near i will make a game page.

Till tomorrow!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you already found the subscription system? It is very useful. You can subscribe to almost anything and you will then be notified when someone contributes to the subscribed item.

For example, you can find a "subscribe" link in the header of this thread. Also, when you make a post there is a checkbox to subscribe to the thread.

When you are logged in to BGG, look at the newspaper symbol in the upper left corner of the page. Click there to list your subscriptions or go through the new items.

You should subscribe to your own game as soon as it is added to the database, so you will be notified whenever someone posts in the forums dedicated to your game and you can answer rules questions or respond to any feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
I already found the subscribe button but somehow thought it would be automatic as well when i posted this message. Apparently not, but i get the hang of it a bit. Subscribing to my own game is a good idea, haven't thought about it.

As promised i wrote a small blog about the game and where it is about. In my screen it looks like the enters i use are not followed in the blog, so it looks like a big balloon of text.

If interested: http://boardgamegeek.com/blog/2399/banco-banco-what-is-it-al...

Now i'm up to upload some pictures to my picture gallery to give myself and the game a face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Krüger
Germany
Krefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you posted into the blog description intead of creating a blog post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
learning learning learning, what else should a man do!

i'll take another look

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William van Schagen
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
I figured it out cool

here is the link again http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/18860/how-does-the-game-wo...

In my gallery there are some pictures of testplays and i will also post the box design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.