Popular Tags: [View All]
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I loved Robotech and the real anime Macross, Army of the Southern Cross and Genesis Climber

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/rrpgt/robotech-rpg-tacti...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lawrence
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
Hey! That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Palladium part makes me wary, but I SO want to believe this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Millis
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, I was wondering when this was going up on Kick Starter. I really want to jump on board, but really want to see the game play and rules before committing. I played Warhammer and 40K and the rules go to a point that just dragged the game play down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
popatachi wrote:
I really want to jump on board, but really want to see the game play and rules before committing.

It's Palladium. They've been using the same rules since the mid 80s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
Aren't they also really quick with the C&Ds if people try to post stuff online for their games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sal Clarino
United States
Rockfall
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was so excited till i saw Palladium is putting it out. Now im thinking of getting it just to paint , not to play....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a huge fan of the show when I was a kid and have always had a soft spot for it ever since. I played the RPG back in high school and enjoyed it. I was really looking forward to this and backed it but now some of you have me questioning my decision. I'm unfamiliar with the reason for the anger aimed at Palladium - can someone clue me in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with the reason for the anger aimed at Palladium - can someone clue me in?

In my case, it's not anger. It's frustration that they've not made any significant strides in improving their rules, the layout of their books, or the production values of their games in three decades.

I was a big fan of the TMNT RPG when it came out in 1985, and my roommates and I played the hell out of Rifts a few years later. But even with all these advances in desktop publishing, and new ways of presenting the RPG experience, Palladium has been content to churn out countless cheaply-produced supplements to Rifts, and they are using the same outdated and wonky rules after all these years.

I can't abide that kind of laziness in an industry that's so filled with innovation and new ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
Ender Wiggin wrote:
I'm unfamiliar with the reason for the anger aimed at Palladium - can someone clue me in?

In my case, it's not anger. It's frustration that they've not made any significant strides in improving their rules, the layout of their books, or the production values of their games in three decades.

I was a big fan of the TMNT RPG when it came out in 1985, and my roommates and I played the hell out of Rifts a few years later. But even with all these advances in desktop publishing, and new ways of presenting the RPG experience, Palladium has been content to churn out countless cheaply-produced supplements to Rifts, and they are using the same outdated and wonky rules after all these years.

I can't abide that kind of laziness in an industry that's so filled with innovation and new ideas.

But you have to admit that you had a fantastic time with Rifts.

I know I did.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Norris
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
...and J-Pop too!!!!
badge
Raina rocks!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! I pledged....but this will be the first one that I don't go crazy and get everything! I won't be able to afford that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
But you have to admit that you had a fantastic time with Rifts.

So long as you play a character with MDC, sure.

We started in early 1992, and I played it until mid 1996. By then, the power creep of each release made it hard to maintain long-term play as half the group would want to ditch their characters when each new book came out.

It really needs a GM who will say "You may choose your RCC/OCC from this list and this list alone", and who'll keep a tight focus on setting. There's a lot of good stuff in there, but so many "trap" and overpowered options.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I knew the background of Robotech... I might be a little more excited or willing to back the project.

Is there a Robotech Cliff Notes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
I wish I knew the background of Robotech... I might be a little more excited or willing to back the project.

Is there a Robotech Cliff Notes?

Here you go: http://www.cracked.com/funny-926-robotech/

I hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robotech.com is a good starting point

http://www.robotech.com/infopedia/

Do you want the history of the US Version or the Japanese Anime they borrowed from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robotech

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an anime fan, so I could never get into the TV show. However, I found the Robotech book series by Jack McKinney to be well-written and enjoyable, and an excellent source for bringing you into the Robotech world.

http://www.amazon.com/Robotech-Macross-Genesis-Battle-Homeco...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EnderWizard
United States
Niskayuna
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply, EitherOrlok. This makes me wish I could read the rules ahead of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.