Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bloody Cactus
United States
Lexington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I used to be a boardgamer like you, then I took a dice bag to the knee from Tonya Harding
mbmbmbmbmb
so played a game with my wife tonight.. we had some questions.

are you supposed to play with a blind hand and just announce, I'll play 3 cards and turn over 3? or do you study your hand and figure out?

maybe its a silly question but we were not sure.

if you play the supplemental cards like eagle, do they stay in your discard/hand for the entire game or once played do they go to the bottom of that cards supplemental pile?

waterfalls.. are you supposed to play a double to get over or can you play two move X cards to get over it? its not clear...

currents... we had no current card played in two games. seemds kind of odd as every hex has current arrows etc and we thought we were missing something key.

the replenish edck pile, do you always just take from the top or randomly, because the +1 card seemed to play no part as we just replenished from the top for X number of cards, so the +1 had no impact.

the big kickstarter dice.. didnt get used.. err was it supposed to? my wife was upset as she said it looked awesome and wanted to play it...

game seemed to go ok, probably best as 3 or 4 player than just 2. we felt like we were really missing something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
BloodyCactus wrote:
so played a game with my wife tonight.. we had some questions.

are you supposed to play with a blind hand and just announce, I'll play 3 cards and turn over 3? or do you study your hand and figure out?

maybe its a silly question but we were not sure.

You select the 3 cards you play. And since you typically have 4 cards, you can have a little fore knowledge of what you might be playing next turn too.

Quote:
if you play the supplemental cards like eagle, do they stay in your discard/hand for the entire game or once played do they go to the bottom of that cards supplemental pile?

they go to your discard pile. But as soon as your deck is depleted, you will reshuffle these to form a new deck. So you will use the same card multiple times over the course of a game.

Quote:
waterfalls.. are you supposed to play a double to get over or can you play two move X cards to get over it? its not clear...

You must play any two swim cards to get over. You cannot play a single card (even if it is the Double swim card) and must play a 2nd swim card.

Quote:
currents... we had no current card played in two games. seemds kind of odd as every hex has current arrows etc and we thought we were missing something key.

The markings are necessary all over the place because when played, it is a universal effect. But if no one takes this card, it won't be played.

Quote:
the replenish edck pile, do you always just take from the top or randomly, because the +1 card seemed to play no part as we just replenished from the top for X number of cards, so the +1 had no impact.

The +1 card is not as useful as it first sounds. It does 3 main things. One, if you are pushed over it on another players turn. Then you will have 5 cards instead of 4 giving you more flexibility in your choices. 2) If your hand was depleted because of attack cards, then you can get a card to replace it. 3) During your turn if you move over it, you immediately draw - which changes what cards you have available to play during this current turn. If its the last move you make, then it isn't that great since you are drawing back up to 4 anyway.

Quote:
the big kickstarter dice.. didnt get used.. err was it supposed to? my wife was upset as she said it looked awesome and wanted to play it...

It is just for set-up and not really that useful. We use it to determine start player and which side of boards to use. The only in-game effect is when you play currents and someone has to randomly determine which way to move.

Quote:
game seemed to go ok, probably best as 3 or 4 player than just 2. we felt like we were really missing something.

I haven't tried it with just 2 but I think more is going to be better. There is more chaos and more potential to do harm. Races games usually aren't that fun with just 2 unless they are specifically designed for that number. But try being more aggressive next time and see if that makes it better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Groth
United States
Appleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
BloodyCactus wrote:

I haven't tried it with just 2 but I think more is going to be better. There is more chaos and more potential to do harm. Races games usually aren't that fun with just 2 unless they are specifically designed for that number. But try being more aggressive next time and see if that makes it better.
Maybe try controlling two fish each? With some race games in particular, that makes for a more interaction if you only have two players. Either play each fish separately, or combine both decks together, hold a hand of up to eight cards, and play up to three cards per fish. Also, consider making winner the first to get BOTH fish to the top. Just ideas though; I haven't tried them yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.