Popular Tags: [View All]
Alan Duda
United States
Greenbelt
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I believe most game objectives fall into three categories:
1. Eliminate your opponents (Risk, Monopoly).
2. Being the first player to reach a goal (Eurorails, Settlers).
3. Having the most when a condition is met (Die Macher, Puerto Rico).
Or a combination (for example, Diplomacy, Axis & Allies, Civilization).

What other individual or classes of games are there?
As my own counter of games that I do not think have the above objectives, I offer RPGs as a category, and Knizia's LotR as a specific example.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Having the most when a condition is met" is kind of cheating I think, because sometimes the scoring ("the most") is just tracking some other thing.

For example, in Tigris & Euphrates, yes you want the most points when the game ends. But really what you want is to be the one driving changes in the valley - you want to be the one whose leader adds to their kingdom, or the one whole leader rips another kingdom apart. Heck, if your leader builds up one kingdom, moves to another (and is replaced by an opponent), then destroys the very same kingdom you just built up, then you get points both ways!!!

So I think you'll see a lot more variation if you reduce "having the most" to the events that actually give you the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on how broadly you interpret #2. Solve the puzzle (Sleuth, Clue), or cross the finish line first (any race game) might or might not fall into that category.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crypt Keeper
United States
California
flag msg tools
None shall pass!
badge
'Tis but a scratch.
mbmbmbmbmb
Or how about "win some money" (Poker, Craps).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
How about make it so the opponent has no moves?

Although your wording is so generic, that you could fight to say that that was a goal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could also argue that is a form of player elimination. The conditions are very generic, but seem to cover most things.

I think some author or other divides games into Race Games and War Games. Categories 2 and 3 are subsumed into Race Games, because all category 3 is saying is that when the Race stops the winner is the guy out in front. He even says Monopoly is a Race game in which you have limited energy (money) to go round the track and the one who keeps running (Avoids going bankrupt) is the winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.