Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lester VB
Australia
Croydon
Victoria
flag msg tools
In the rules it says under "Unconsciousness and Death":
If you ever accumulate more than six damage ... you die instantly. There are three ways this can occur. The first is by taking two damage in combat when you only have one hit point remaining...

If I have 2 hit points remaining and roll and lose an hp and roll again and lose another hp what happens? Am I now unconscious and do recovery? Or because I am in combat do I stay in combat and if I take another hit I die? If I don't take a hit and kill the monster on the next roll what happens? Do I check for treasure and then fall unconscious?

How does one take 2 damage in combat?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As soon as your HP vial is depleted you go directly to recovery. Whatever you were doing at that time ends. In combat, as soon as you have 0 HP left, stop rolling and go to recovery.

Also, in combat you are never rolling just one die. Always roll both dice at the same time. You can take two damage if both dice fall within the monster's attack range. If you had two HP remaining and took two damage in combat, combat ends and you go to recovery. But if you had only one HP left and took two damage, you would die and the game would end.

Does that answer your question?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lester VB
Australia
Croydon
Victoria
flag msg tools
Great! Yes it does - thanks a lot. It's my first play - I have been rolling 2 die in combat but have never been dealt 2 damage - I didn't think through it enough.

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Black Canyon wrote:
As soon as your HP vial is depleted you go directly to recovery. Whatever you were doing at that time ends.

Hey Nick, is this also the case during the final activation?
I ran out of HP during final activation but still had 6+ days left so recovery would have been possible.
But the rules say that once you start working on the final activation you cannot do anything else.

Follow up question:
When I have all connections, can I:
- heal all HP (losing days)
- lose HP to decrease the target number
- heal HP before I start rolling the final activation.

I assume point 3 is not possible...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lines42 wrote:
Is this also the case during the final activation?
I ran out of HP during final activation but still had 6+ days left so recovery would have been possible.
But the rules say that once you start working on the final activation you cannot do anything else.

This is a weird situation that I never considered while writing the rules. In this extreme case I would say that you should be able to spend the 6 days recovering from unconsciousness and attempt the activation roll again. Seems fair, I think.

Lines42 wrote:
Follow up question:
When I have all connections, can I:
- heal all HP (losing days)
- lose HP to decrease the target number
- heal HP before I start rolling the final activation.

I assume point 3 is not possible...

You are correct. As soon as you start spending HP to reduce the target number, you have begun final activation and cannot stop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lines J. Hutter
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Nick. Thanks for your answers. Don't know if this situation is so wierd or rare. Unless I played something wrong.
My target number for final activation was 12 :-(
So I healed the 1 point of damage I had and then spent 4 to reduce the TN to 8.
Then I failed my roll twice. HP = 0.
And with the void gate I only need 4 days to recover which I had.

So am I right that I could have recovered (4 days lost, fully healed) and then continued rolling for final activation?

By the way... Great concept, great theme, great game!
I love what you did with only two pages and 2 dice. Respect.

I'd have some thoughts/ideas for future versions.
Are you interested?
PM or forum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it's fair that you could recover if you have the days left to do it.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts and ideas. I already have the second game designed and I am planning a third, although that one is in a very preliminary concept state right now. I think it would be great for you to post a new thread here and we can bat some ideas back and forth, possibly even get input from other UE players as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Asher
United States
Jefferson
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a line in the rules that says you can die if you fail at the Utopia Engine's final activation roll while at 0 hit points. How could you ever be in this situation if you fall unconscious and go to recovery when you reach 0 hit points?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Coppedge
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drasher25 wrote:
There's a line in the rules that says you can die if you fail at the Utopia Engine's final activation roll while at 0 hit points. How could you ever be in this situation if you fall unconscious and go to recovery when you reach 0 hit points?

Just noticed this never got answered.

There's another line in the final-activation section that exempts you from unconsciousness during that challenge. I guess the excitement keeps you awake? Probably room for simplification there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
bc84 wrote:
drasher25 wrote:

There's another line in the final-activation section that exempts you from unconsciousness during that challenge. I guess the excitement keeps you awake? Probably room for simplification there...

This still confuses me. Is it that zero HP means unconscious, or that it means unconscious but not during final activation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThatFedoraGuy wrote:
bc84 wrote:
drasher25 wrote:

This still confuses me. Is it that zero HP means unconscious, or that it means unconscious but not during final activation?

You go unconscious at 0 HP in every situation except final activation. Thematically, you are pushing yourself to exhaustion to complete your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.