Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
I was thinking about buying the Exodus expansion in anticipation of Daybreak coming out (announcing a new expansion is a great way to get me to look at current expansions). However, I usually play BSG by myself, sometimes with one friend.

That said, how much content is there in Exodus that can be used (or adapted) for use with two players? I might buy it regardless, but I'm willing to be swayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
I was thinking about buying the Exodus expansion in anticipation of Daybreak coming out (announcing a new expansion is a great way to get me to look at current expansions). However, I usually play BSG by myself, sometimes with one friend.

That said, how much content is there in Exodus that can be used (or adapted) for use with two players? I might buy it regardless, but I'm willing to be swayed.

Let's get the mandatory stuff out of the way...
A good # of folks will say the heart and soul of the game is the traitor/cylon aspect + paranoia. They're sorta mostly right. However, to me, that's just half of it. I'd say the crisis mechanic is the heart of the game, with the cylons being the soul (or was it the other way around?). Anyways, as long as you acknowledge that playing without cylons reduces the game down to pure mechanics and are fine with that, then you won't have to worry about that.

I played a partial solo game with the boxed copy at one point, but was lazy. If I were more inclined and talented, I'd make a PC version of the solo game.

Ohh, and as to the question itself....
If you've enjoyed Peg, then more of the same here so to speak... the core material are of similar deal.. more skill cards, Qcards, Destination cards, crisis cards, and chars. Then there are 3 optional modules (AFAIK, FFG didn't test any of the 2p or solo variants with exp, and "test" has always been a relative term to joke)...

Conflicted Loyalties
It just adds more luck in the official solo game, but I deem it necessary since solo game seems REAL easy (we're talking 2p Pandemic on easy mode easy). With 2p games, it could make interesting impacts

CFB
I've never played the 2p game, but I'd reckon a cylon player can just spam Basestar Bridge (BB). If no cylons, it's at least predictable, so that helps compensate for more activities required on the cylon ship side

IN
Managing allies may be more fun when you get more tursn in 2p game. Again, the randomness in solo games seems to be welcome given how easy they are.

There's a 2p variant by FFG in case you weren't aware of that...
FFG's BSG support page of documentation
Optional rules (solo, 2p, no cylons, no symp)
Official FAQ

I modded a solo game with Peg + Exo exps via BGG's PBF format. Check them out here...
solo PBF game thread
solo PBF game geeklist

Optional scoring for the solo game that I came up with (untested) for the 1st two exp.
solo game with end-game scoring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Those are some cool links, thank you very much for sharing them.

I wasn't aware that solo mode was supposed to be easy. I mean, it is easier than the PBFs that I have read. But I lose often. Maybe I am picking the wrong character(s).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.