Popular Tags: [View All]
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of KoAaS, and I haven't even been able to play the game with larger player counts yet. Based off of my experiences, I kind of assume that 5-player is the best way to experience the game, and 6 or 7-player seems to be a pretty good experience as well.

Up to this point, I've only been able to play with 2, 3, and 4-players, and 3-players was significantly worse than either of the other counts. The 5-tile map is too large and players can camp out in their own corners of the map, whereas the 3-tile map just doesn't have enough factories. For the cutthroat map, goods don't build up on cities, cargo upgrades are pointless, and players end up with A LOT of pointless moves at the end of rounds since all of the goods are picked up. Neither experience is fun. (I've posted a [thread=/thread/959680/4-player-variant-for-tighter-gameplay-and-better-3]4-tile variant[/thread] which may work a bit better).

Regardless, the reason I'm posting this is to warn players who may play their first games with only 3-players:
3-players is the worst player count, and I encourage you to give it a chance with a different # of players!

Even 2-player is better than 3!

Edit:
Just to show I'm not completely alone on this conclusion: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/964107/the-sphinx-plows-thro...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Tharp
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hobby game designer, please print and play my games!
mbmbmbmbmb
My first play was with 3, we played cutthroat and I thought it was great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fifisdead wrote:

It could also be relatively dependent on setup, and the fact that we've played it enough with other player counts to know what the game should feel like. All of our factories were towards the outside of the map, and the lack of goods to deliver severely stalled the game. It was to the point that I felt the need to apologize to our 3rd player who was a newbie...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mfaulk80 wrote:
fifisdead wrote:

It could also be relatively dependent on setup, and the fact that we've played it enough with other player counts to know what the game should feel like. All of our factories were towards the outside of the map, and the lack of goods to deliver severely stalled the game. It was to the point that I felt the need to apologize to our 3rd player who was a newbie...

I'm sorry it felt a little lackluster with 3 - you guys must have been pretty efficient at grabbing those goods.

If you do feel that it's too tight for 3p cutthroat (not enough goods) your 4 tile map is a good solution, or you can have market tiles add 2 goods to each factory instead of 1. I'd love to hear what you think if you try it again with 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
fifisdead wrote:

I'm sorry it felt a little lackluster with 3 - you guys must have been pretty efficient at grabbing those goods.

If you do feel that it's too tight for 3p cutthroat (not enough goods) your 4 tile map is a good solution, or you can have market tiles add 2 goods to each factory instead of 1. I'd love to hear what you think if you try it again with 3.

I thought about adding 2-goods, but that may overemphasize the cargo holds a bit maybe. I'm not sure. I actually don't get a lot of 3-player game opportunities, but I'll definitely try out one of those variants if we play Kings of Air & Steam.

Great game btw. That particular play just fell completely flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scottbalmes wrote:
mfaulk80 wrote:
fifisdead wrote:

I doubt that would solve their problem, because Airships can pick up 2 goods at a time almost as easily as 1 good.

I do like the 4-board option posted elsewhere. That's probably the best solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.