Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan King (The Game Boy Geek)
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you are playing the guard, is watching the Novice's eyes to try and get a feel for where they are cheating? Or is it just good guard play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Steward
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Fretboard Gamer
badge
p/g
mbmbmbmbmb
In the video the designer made of them playing Nuns on the Run, they all wore sunglasses.

A similar game, Scotland Yard comes with a visor to hide the eyes of the players who is running/trying to evade capture.

There's a file in the Nuns on the Run page which allows you to print small "reference maps" that you can give to each player. We use these as well as player screens to help the novices be as sneaky as possible:

Link to the small maps file page: Reference map

(I wouldn't go so far as to call it cheating, but I think the spirit of the game is that you're supposed to rely on the clues the game gives... not on "metagaming".)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pee di Moor
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the novices need a good look at the map, we ask the guard to leave the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frederic Moyersoen
Belgium
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although a guard player may try not to focus on the eyes of the novices, he may notice it involuntary.
My son, as a novice, made a profit out of it and looked at a particular area of the convent to distract my attention (as the guard player) from the place where he really was. It worked perfectly for him and I lost much time searching in the wrong direction.
Now, I know that following the eyes of my son doesn't help much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Wessels
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DigitalMan wrote:
There's a file in the Nuns on the Run page which allows you to print small "reference maps" that you can give to each player. We use these as well as player screens to help the novices be as sneaky as possible:

That's exactly what we do. We pass out portable maps to all the novices. I'm usually asked to run the guards (Prioress and Abby) so I also make a point of not watching their eyes to make it more fair for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.