Takenoko» Forums » General

Subject: Organization tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
angela minton

mystic
Connecticut
msg tools
First board game and i want to know the best way to store it.
Should i get a plano box for bamboo?
Should i sleeve the objective cards?
Are baggies fine?
I wont be getting this game for a few days but i want to be prepared for when it does get here and make it look preety!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agnieszka
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The inside of the box is very well organized with special holes for all the components - you really don't need any plano boxes for this game. There are plastic bags included for babmboo pieces. As for sleeving the cards - it's up to you really, but I must say that they usually lay on the table in front of you. I sleeve most of my games' cards, but with Takenoko I didn't bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moose Detective
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Than Sense
badge
Is it a moose that became a detective ? Or a detective who searches for moose?
mbmbmbmbmb
Takenoko has one of the best inserts around.

Just store the game in the box it comes in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Blue
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the insert is quite well designed. It holds the bits very well. Just be careful if you want to store it vertically on a bookshelf -- the bits will likely spill out a bit. Better to store it flat, then no problems. And don't worry about sleeves. Definitely not necessary with this game. It's a fun one. Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Porter
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about the second edition, but I've found the Takenoko first edition box to be a little frustrating. The plastic insert is lovely, and it is so tempting to keep it on the table with the game, containing all the beautiful bamboo pieces.

But, this game is a work of art and I want to protect it. So I sleeved the cards. Now they don't fit in the insert at all. So I've had to put them in one of the bamboo spaces, meaning the bamboo has to shift elsewhere, and so on, messing up the beautiful insert.

Even if I un-sleeved the cards, and used the insert as intended, the components fall all over the place when the game is turned on its side, which is how I store my games. So now I have a problem with storage.

After owning the game for a year, I have finally given in and removed the beautiful insert, bagging everything up and creating a much less appealing "box full of stuff" a kin to all my other games. Even that isn't without problems. You can't just stick the farmer and panda in a bag and expect them to survive without chips to paintwork etc. So I've had to fashion a small "envelope" to contain them with packaging foam.

If you are not worried about sleeving cards, and you are happy storing games horizontal you'll be fine.

Of course the second edition may be a different beast, but from images I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben O'Steen
United Kingdom
Bishops Stortford
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam78 wrote:
Even if I un-sleeved the cards, and used the insert as intended, the components fall all over the place when the game is turned on its side, which is how I store my games. So now I have a problem with storage.

I also store most of my games on their side for easy access and have a general purpose tip. You probably do this already, but I'll put it here for others:

Keep any cardboard sprue left once you've punched out any pieces and put it underneath the plastic insert. This raises the base of the plastic insert and keeps the lid flush to the top and keeping the components in their plastic slots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
angela minton

mystic
Connecticut
msg tools
thanks guys i wasnt sure how the game came.
Im sad i wont get to get any boxes.
But im happy that the insert will work just fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter J
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes the insert was designed quite well, and every piece in the game has a well defined place to go.

Sleeving the cards is not necessary, as card handling and shuffling is very minimal in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.