Archipelago» Forums » Rules

Subject: Selling with the Merchant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Long
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
We played Archipelago for the first time today, my friend bought it. I liked the game a great deal, but I'm sure we didn't do everything just right. One thing I was wondering about is the merchant card. I had managed to produce 8 cattle and used him to sell the cattle to the domestic market. All the cows were sent to the bank, which I believe was right. Only thing I'm not sure about is how much the bank should pay for each cow. The highest open price was 4 coins, so I received 32 coins. Maybe its just because it was our first time, or maybe I stumbled into a good plan, but it just seems like to good of a deal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nighthaunt wrote:
I had managed to produce 8 cattle and used him to sell the cattle to the domestic market. All the cows were sent to the bank, which I believe was right. Only thing I'm not sure about is how much the bank should pay for each cow. The highest open price was 4 coins, so I received 32 coins. Maybe its just because it was our first time, or maybe I stumbled into a good plan, but it just seems like to good of a deal.

The goods are sold into the Domestic Market in the normal manner. So, if the 6fl and 5fl prices were taken but there were no cubes on the 4fl line then you would only be able to sell 6 cubes, 3@4fl and 3@3fl. The goods go to the Market, completely filling it, not to the bank.

Too good a deal you say? Well unless those cubes get cleared you will be generating rebels in the "Population Effects Phase", which unless you're the rebel, may not be such a good deal after all. Also, remember that the card can be used by the other player(s) as well.

This was answered by the designer :-

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10171488#10171488

Hope this helps. Enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Long
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Thanks, it did. Guess I didn't look around enough before I asked. Only went through the first couple of pages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Rupp
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seghillian wrote:
Nighthaunt wrote:
I had managed to produce 8 cattle and used him to sell the cattle to the domestic market. All the cows were sent to the bank, which I believe was right. Only thing I'm not sure about is how much the bank should pay for each cow. The highest open price was 4 coins, so I received 32 coins. Maybe its just because it was our first time, or maybe I stumbled into a good plan, but it just seems like to good of a deal.

The goods are sold into the Domestic Market in the normal manner. So, if the 6fl and 5fl prices were taken but there were no cubes on the 4fl line then you would only be able to sell 6 cubes, 3@4fl and 3@3fl. The goods go to the Market, completely filling it, not to the bank.

Too good a deal you say? Well unless those cubes get cleared you will be generating rebels in the "Population Effects Phase", which unless you're the rebel, may not be such a good deal after all. Also, remember that the card can be used by the other player(s) as well.

This was answered by the designer :-

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/10171488#10171488

Hope this helps. Enjoy the game.

Wow, it's a shame the card is worded so poorly. Playing the card based on what it says, I'd say the OP played it correctly (and that's how we played it as well).

Thanks for the link, I missed that and we've been playing the card the same as the OP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.