Subject: I would like to add a few games, what I am missing ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

I would like to add a few games to my collection and was wondering if you had any advice for me Here is what I have and like, and don't like:

Deck building : Dominion, Dominion: Intrigue
Resources managing / worker placement : Agricola, Glen More
2 players games : Rivals for Catan, Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs ,
Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins
Dungeon Crawler : Super Dungeon Explore, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Games I am interested in and will get at some point : Race for the Galaxy, The Manhattan Project, The Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico

As you can see I really like worker placement/ resources managing games, but maybe with the ones I got and the one I will get eventually, it would be enough. What do you think?

I don't like party game, deduction /bluffing games.

It would be for 3/4 players, working for 2 would be a plus.
Play time around 45-90/120 min

Looking forward to your suggestions!! Thanks very much in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Life is a lamp-flame before a wind.
msg tools
badge
mu
mbmbmbmbmb
You need some Knizia games: Tigris & Euphrates, Blue Moon City, Municipium etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Homesteaders is exactly what you've asked for. Tight resources, quick playing, plays well 2-4

Glory to Rome also fulfills your criteria.

Please note, there are other games I would much rather play over these (Innovation over GtR, for example) but based off your requests and all the games I have played, you'll love these

You'll probably like RftG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For something a bit different check out Inca Empire. It only plays 3/4 (so no 2 player option) but it's a really interesting game. It's all about managing your resources (workers) to build a network that scores you points whilst denying them to your opponents. Parasitic leeching off of the plays of your opponents is at the very heart of the game, I've never really played anything else quite like it.

+1 for Blue Moon City as well if you can find it, it seems to be getting much harder to acquire at sensible prices these days.

You'll love Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte Dias
Portugal
Paços de Ferreira
Paços de Ferreira
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite being only for two the pocket version of Hive is pretty cool

Even if i can't see the game figuring exactly on a category that you have mentioned i played Strasbourg once and looks good too and have kinda worker placement after auction period

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Lush
United Kingdom
Littlehampton
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Selenn01 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I would like to add a few games to my collection and was wondering if you had any advice for me Here is what I have and like, and don't like:

Deck building : Dominion, Dominion: Intrigue
Resources managing / worker placement : Agricola, Glen More
2 players games : Rivals for Catan, Summoner Wars: Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs ,
Summoner Wars: Guild Dwarves vs Cave Goblins
Dungeon Crawler : Super Dungeon Explore, Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Games I am interested in and will get at some point : Race for the Galaxy, The Manhattan Project, The Castles of Burgundy, Puerto Rico

As you can see I really like worker placement/ resources managing games, but maybe with the ones I got and the one I will get eventually, it would be enough. What do you think?

I don't like party game, deduction /bluffing games.

It would be for 3/4 players, working for 2 would be a plus.
Play time around 45-90/120 min

Looking forward to your suggestions!! Thanks very much in advance!

Hi there,
nice collection! Quick glance I would say you don't seem to have any "filler" games. This may be because you don't like them, but I have a few suggestions. One would be Love Letter, don't be put off by the theme. It's a really fun little game, that plays quick. You do have to play it straight faced, and an expression could give your cards away, but it's not bluffing as such. Otherwise, noting that you also don't have much in the way of dice, you could go for quick fun with Zombie Dice a quick little filler that people initially think will die, but seems to be very popular.

Continuing on the Dice theme, but with a lot more strategy, King of Tokyo is meant to be brilliant, and receives a lot of love on here. There are some haters as well, but there always are.

Otherwise, my personal favourite at the moment is Small World. It's closest relative is probably Risk, but this isn't a fair comparison, check the reviews, its a lot of fun, and plays from two to five!

One last one, noting you don't have a "tile game" either, my Fiance's fave is still Carcassonne with Carcassonne: Expansion 3 – The Princess & The Dragon. I've also played it with Carcassonne: Expansion 2 – Traders & Builders, both expansions create more conflict then the base game, which if you like a bit more depth, can make it really fun and for some very tense situations.

I've rambled a lot, but good luck finding the next gem for your collection!

*edit - spelling correction

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
"Music That Glows In The Dark"
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories awesome co-op, good solo or with two
Elder Sign co-op with dice, solo and up to 4 players
King of Tokyo best filler/gateway dice game
Lords of Waterdeep worker placement with great art
Alien Frontiers nice hybrid worker placement/area control
Super Dungeon Explore good dungeon crawl if you like the theme
Seasons another great hybrid it has amazing art and elegant design. Perfect for two players

Here are a couple geek lists that will help you find something for sure:

Euro games with visual appeal

Thematic games with top notch components

Solo/Co-Op games that look as awesome as they are to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something a little different from what you have, and you don't mind games that require three or more, I would suggest either Hansa Teutonica or Endeavor. Both offer something you don't currently have, both play in 60-90 minutes easily, and both are rather fantastic.

If the ability to play with two is more important, than you should really get Race for the Galaxy. It is brilliant with two and pretty much any player count. It plays quickly but really has a ton of depth.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You should get Tzolkin: The Mayan Calendar!

Worker placement is on gears that turn and change the resource allocation. Terrific overall gameplay and component quality, and very nice looking too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Berdichevsky
Argentina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Check out The Pillars of the Earth

Kingsburg may appeal to you as well

I like almost the same kind of games as you do so, even when they don´t match your collection I recommend you to also check:

7 wonders (totally differente kind of resource management
Power Grid (auction & area control but with a res. management feeling)
Belfort (auction, area control, res. man and w. Place... all together!)

if you want to try coop and Pandemic doesn't suit you you may try Yggdrassil (i loved the theme and is quite fun and challenging)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Fuhrmann
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Troyes - sort of worker placement, but it's different and uses dice in interesting ways.

How do you feel about pick up and deliver or train games? Those would give you some more variety. Maybe check out Merchant of Venus (second edition) or Railways of the World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Saruwatari
United States
Arroyo Grande
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes! +1+1+1 for RFTG
+1 for Puerto Rico also

DreadFuzzy wrote:
For something a bit different check out Inca Empire. It only plays 3/4 (so no 2 player option) but it's a really interesting game. It's all about managing your resources (workers) to build a network that scores you points whilst denying them to your opponents. Parasitic leeching off of the plays of your opponents is at the very heart of the game, I've never really played anything else quite like it.

+1 for Blue Moon City as well if you can find it, it seems to be getting much harder to acquire at sensible prices these days.

You'll love Race for the Galaxy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmanuelle S
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the ideas!

I will really look at Merchant of Venus (second edition). I have never had any pick up and delivery and it sounds nice. I had my eyes on it, but didn't take the plunge yet : as it is not available in France, I'll have to import it. How long are your usual plays of it? I 've seen Eric Summerer's review and it looks like it is a bit long. But the art is so nice!! What do you think about the light speed "option" of it?

Thanks for proposing Homesteaders : I had not heard of it before and could probably interest me!

I already have Carcassonne, forget to write it, silly me I like some games of it from time to time but usually I'm finding it a bit light.

Thanks also on advice for "fillers". And yes you're right, I don't have any as I don't like them When I play i usually spend the whole afternoon / evening and prefer games a bit more lenghty and with some meat

I've tried Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar and Lords of Waterdeep. I've liked them, and may take the plunge on the latter some day

Thanks all for your advice! If you have more don't hesitate to add them, there are never too many I intended to sell my armies of Warhammer (that I don't use anymore anyway) to get funds for my games collection, well lets hope I can get the best of it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
Selenn01 wrote:

I already have Carcassonne, forget to write it, silly me I like some games of it from time to time but usually I'm finding it a bit light.

Adding Traders&Builders and Inns&Cathedrals add some more strategy, so they may help revitalize Carcassonne somewhat.

If you really are for long and meaty games, check out Android for 2-5 players (4+ hours for 2 players).

The theme is excellent, with a beautiful board and with a lot of flavor text on the cards (you can decide yourself how much to read it during the game). All characters are unique with some of their own character-specific rules, personal storylines to finish during the game (happy endings give victory points), and their own demons to avoid when solving the case. There are many different murder cases to play. There is a great atmosphere, and although the board and the sheer number of tokens may at first intimidate you, the game mechanisms are actually quite simple when you have played once.

Each game takes a long time (5+ hours for your first 2-player game). There are some variants and tweaks to make the game shorter, you can for example play just half a game (one week), which would bring it to your desired play time range. And a suitable storage solution cuts out a lot of setup and cleanup time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Mölleken
Germany
45147 Essen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's always a good idea to add something new to your collection.

My suggestions would be:

Dice rolling -> Dice Town or King of Tokyo

Coop -> Pandemic or Ghost Stories

Confrontational -> Cyclades
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.