Giles Pritchard
Australia
Shepparton
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just moved to a new area which doesn't seem to have a gaming group despite there being an interest in gaming (there is a strong interest in Magic, in Pirates of ... there is a game store in town etc). I wanted to ask for advice on the dos and don'ts of setting up a gaming club. If any of you have been a part of setting up your local club could you pass on some advice to me! Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L Myrick
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out these two links from thegamesjournal:

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/GamesDay.shtml

http://www.thegamesjournal.com/articles/NurturingaGroup.shtm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only speak from my own experience and I am sure it depends on the type of group you are wanting to start. I had been playing games for about two years with my wife and two brothers but I wanted to try a bit of gaming outside of this fixed group for the sake of variety.

I went into the local gaming shop here in my area (I am from a smaller town - there is only one game shop) and asked if anyone ever came out and played board games. I was answered with, "Hmm well - not really but you can bring yours out and see if anyone wants to join..."

The idea of sitting there with a board game sitting out on the table and looking like some pathetic puppy simply did not appeal to me so I decided it was not to be.

Then I posted here on the geek looking for gamers in this area and one person answered the call. That was ninjabob. So we arranged to meet for an evening at the game shop only to find the owner as well as another patron were also interested in board games so our group quickly become four.

From that point every once in a while I notice a new member of the geek that lives in the area and extend them an invitation to the group to come and join us, and a few other patrons have also struck up an interest to play on occasion. Although I must admit that I have yet to convert a single "Yugi-ite". Some have come over to watch but when they ask why they can't blow the City of Carcassone to Hades with a big creature we both pretty much realize we don't get each other :)

I am not interested in a large group where I am running around worrying about if everyone is having a good time, and I don't want the headache of having some kind of group owned games (We all simply bring stuff from our private collections).

We now meet on the 2nd, 4th, and 5th (if there is one) Wednesday's of the month and although simple, is a whole lot of fun. I have met many new people this way, enjoyed a variety of play styles, and learned plenty of other games I did not have.. some of which are now a part of my collection (Loopin' Louis, Cosmic Cows, among others).

Hope you are able to strike up the group that you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue Guldal
United States
Brooklyn
NY - New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, there are many things one can do depending on how much time one wants to spend. Are there any BGGers around your area, because that is the easiest way to start! Just post a note on the forums (or even this might do). Now if it is a BGG barren area, I would start with community areas and advertise there. Public library, community center, etc. Just flyers might do. You can also utilize online communities, if there are any. One advice is to be clear as to what you want this club to be. Define your goals clearly so people do not show up to be disappointed or disappoint you. For example, I would not want a bunch of strictly RPGers to show up and expect me to play RPGs with them and refuse to play anything else. I also would not like it if it ended up being a bunch of war gamers and me! I would not mind a mixture, but I would also like to play some Euros and light card games, etc. So depending on what you want, you should advertise accordingly. It might be a good idea also to list some names of games you own and would like to play, just to give people some idea. If you want to draw in a newbie crowd (i.e. if you do not mind teaching) you might want to add a note saying beginners and people who have never heard of these games are welcome, etc.

There are many people who started their own group, so I am sure you'll get a lot of advice. Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.