Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys, just a quick question it is my fiancees birthday in May and seeing that she is Austrian one of her favorite games is Schnapsen. So what I want to get her is a really nice deck with high quality cards, can anyone recommend some decks or even websites to look at. We have the piatnik cards , which are good quality but I am looking for something special.

Cheers

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Kevin,

CEWE offers an individual set of poker cards with an image of your choice on the back - see here: http://www.cewe.de/fotogeschenke/spiele/pokerkarten.html

Of course, you have to remove some of the cards to play Schnapsen, but I think this would make for a very personal gift meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin W
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
Sprechen Sie Talk?
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a great idea, although I have never played the game with a normal deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tompa
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume from your response that you're looking for the Doppeldeutsche rather than French cards? That is, the ones with the suits acorn, leaves, bells, and hearts, like my BGG avatar? You might look around the Piatnik site (try http://piatnik.com/produkte/index.php/16/at/de/spielekarten/... and some of the other links in the navigation bar) and see if anything appeals to you. If you don't speak German, "franzoesischen" refers to the French cards (clubs, diamonds, hearts, spades) and "doppeldeutsch" or "Wilhelm Tell" refers to the ones I think you may be looking for. Not all the decks are labeled, but some that aren't labeled do have little pictures of the suits that will tell you what you're getting.

For instance, http://piatnik.com/produkte/index.php/289293/at/de/spielekar... might be of interest to you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops. Just because in Austria Vienna nearly everyone plays with the French cards, I automatically assumed the whole world does so blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tompa
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:
Oops. Just because in Austria Vienna nearly everyone plays with the French cards, I automatically assumed the whole world does so blush

Ron, I myself learned what you said only recently. I grew up with the Doppeldeutsche cards, and always assumed everyone in Austria used them. But I was in Vienna last October, got to play in a small Schnapsen tournament, and was very surprised that the French cards were used. Apparently the Doppeldeutsche are used almost everywhere in Austria outside of Vienna? Does this sound approximately right to you?

This all raises for me the interesting personal question of why my father, who lived in Vienna from age 9 to age 26 (1921-1938), always played Schnapsen, Preference, Lorum, Alsos, etc. with Doppeldeutsche cards. Perhaps it was because he was Hungarian, and lived in Hungary up to age 9. Or perhaps 100 years ago the Doppeldeutsche cards were more common in Vienna?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mtompa wrote:
PzVIE wrote:

Ron, I myself learned what you said only recently. I grew up with the Doppeldeutsche cards, and always assumed everyone in Austria used them. But I was in Vienna last October, got to play in a small Schnapsen tournament, and was very surprised that the French cards were used. Apparently the Doppeldeutsche are used almost everywhere in Austria outside of Vienna? Does this sound approximately right to you?

This all raises for me the interesting personal question of why my father, who lived in Vienna from age 9 to age 26 (1921-1938), always played Schnapsen, Preference, Lorum, Alsos, etc. with Doppeldeutsche cards. Perhaps it was because he was Hungarian, and lived in Hungary up to age 9. Or perhaps 100 years ago the Doppeldeutsche cards were more common in Vienna?

Hard to answer. In Vienna and the surrounding Lower Austria, French cards are the standard (I asked my father about this [who grew up in Styria] and he told me that he always played with French cards), but in Western Austria (From Salzburg to Vorarlberg) I usually have seen people playing with the Doppeldeutsche.

I have no idea about Hungary, but you might want to ask in the Hungary forum here on the Geek: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/99/boardgamegeek/hungary - they should know meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tompa
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PzVIE wrote:

I have no idea about Hungary, but you might want to ask in the Hungary forum here on the Geek: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/99/boardgamegeek/hungary - they should know meeple

Thanks for the information, Ron. I do know that the Doppeldeutsche cards are used in Hungary, or at least in large parts of Hungary. There was an interesting BGG article about this at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/481513/the-history-of-th.... I just don't know whether this is the reason my father used these cards, despite having lived most of his adolescent life in Vienna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.