ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: Ease of play / noob friendliness
How easy is each character to play? i.e. how noob friendly?
  1- Easy 2- fairly easy 3- hard ish 4- difficult
Adama
Anders
Apollo
Baltar
Baltar (New)
Boomer
Cain
Cally
Chief
Cottle
Dee
Ellen
Gaeta
Helo
Helo
Hoshi
Hot Dog
Kat
Lampkin
Lee Adama
Roslin
Starbuck
Tigh
Tory
Zarek
Zarek (new)
      19 answers
Poll created by Speshul

Note about the TWO HELOS< FIRST IS ORGINAL, SECOND IS new helo which we are yet to see

In relation to this thread http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/963867/character-excel-f...

Shall we rate how noob friendly / easy to play each of the characters are?

At this point we don't know new helo or new zarek. I've tried not to include spoilers.

Criteria:
How easy are the characters to play for new players, are they sutble to play, do they have booking keeping i.e. discard cards for tigh or complicated rules like Ellen or Boomer? It is a bit of a crass 1 to 4 rating.

Scenario:
A new player wants to play they haven't seen the show so don't have a preference which characters would you offer them to pick from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What was the criteria again? Rules-wise, strategy-wise, combo, or other?

Without looking at the results, I'd probably lump Helo as easy, and Anders as fairly easy since they both have "set and forget" weaknesses. Star Player should NOT be that difficult to explain.

Then you have someone like Cain whose abilities aren't that hard either, but do require you to be familiar with the game, and it can be hard for a newbie cylon Cain.

For Apollo, you gotta explain how piloting and space combat works, and that easily adds a whole 'nother dimension there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've added in more information above but your analysis is correct, easy to explain and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Interesting that Boomer takes the early lead in the "Hard" category. I think she's banned in all the variants that I have ever played. And I don't recall seeing her in the PBFs that I read. But I am interested in trying her out, should the opportunity ever arise. Because I like looking at Grace Park.

Also, the frontrunner in the Easy category, Helo, is my personal favorite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Anders is difficult to play because he's terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
Interesting that Boomer takes the early lead in the "Hard" category. I think she's banned in all the variants that I have ever played. And I don't recall seeing her in the PBFs that I read. But I am interested in trying her out, should the opportunity ever arise. Because I like looking at Grace Park.

Banned? That seems very strange to me. She also appears in lots of PBF games. Her 'hard' ratings here come because she *will* end up in the brig, and with a lot of suspicion on her, which can be tough for new players to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fizzmore wrote:
DrNate wrote:

Banned? That seems very strange to me. She also appears in lots of PBF games. Her 'hard' ratings here come because she *will* end up in the brig, and with a lot of suspicion on her, which can be tough for new players to deal with.

Plus, like Roslin, she has to make a hidden-information decision on every one of her turns (assuming people remember about her OPT)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Bredfeldt
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
fizzmore wrote:

I wasn't clear enough. FFG's optional rules state that Boomer can't be played in solo or two player games. Those are pretty much my two choices around here, so I never get her.

She's on my short list of characters to try, should the opportunity ever arise (and Helo, Baltar, Cottle, Chief, and Romo have all been taken...okay, it's a long list)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Von Penguin
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
markino wrote:
Anders is difficult to play because he's terrible.

He may not be good for experienced players but if you think about it he's pretty perfect for a newbie.

Low enough on all three titles that he's unlikely to get them until the player has at least some grasp of the rules.

A weakness that while bad will only hit you once and will cause you to mostly sit out the first round, thus giving you a chance to observe without worrying so much about doing things.

A decent draw that contains a choice card and a power that can be used to correct if you decide you made the wrong choice.

The ability to pilot (which many new players think will be cool to try at least a little bit) but not so much skill that other players will demand you do so at all times.

I mean to a player that knows the game well he's not great but I think he'd be rather forgiving to someone learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hurd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you edit the survey after it's live, or is that not possible? The lack of distinction between new Helo and old Helo really chaffs me, for some odd reason.

My voting is primarily based on downside. If it impossible to forget the player's downside (old Baltar, old Helo, Anders), they are ipso facto a 1. If it's possible to "maintain the game state" by undoing parts of a turn that triggers a downside (Cain, Hoshi, old Zarek), they're 1 or 2. If it's generally not possible to repair the gamestate, they're a 2 or 3. If they're downside is debilitating, it's a 4.

Off-topic, Anders gets much better if you can find the time to have him Press Room. It's also incredibly in character for him to talk to the press.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin S.
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hybridfive wrote:

My voting is primarily based on downside. If it impossible to forget the player's downside (old Baltar, old Helo, Anders), they are ipso facto a 1.

I've actually seen Anders' downside forgotten, if you're low on the turn order, it's not that hard to just draw cards when you normally would.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul W
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
DrNate wrote:
fizzmore wrote:

I wasn't clear enough. FFG's optional rules state that Boomer can't be played in solo or two player games. Those are pretty much my two choices around here, so I never get her.

She's on my short list of characters to try, should the opportunity ever arise (and Helo, Baltar, Cottle, Chief, and Romo have all been taken...okay, it's a long list)

Ah, yeah it makes seems to me that that would be the case, as a mandatory brigging would be very rough there. I never felt the solo version was a particularly interesting game, but YMMV of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SnarksandBoojums wrote:
hybridfive wrote:

My voting is primarily based on downside. If it impossible to forget the player's downside (old Baltar, old Helo, Anders), they are ipso facto a 1.

I've actually seen Anders' downside forgotten, if you're low on the turn order, it's not that hard to just draw cards when you normally would.
I've seen that done with other characters. Worse is if they claim a character's weakness isn't that bad, but then the same people forget about the weaknesses such as Saul, Kat, Gaeta, Cally, and Cain. A character's weakness shouldn't be bad by practice, not b/c you forget about them or "forget" about them :\

I really would NOT recommend such characters to newbies*, as they have enough to worry about (learning the game, keeping up with the usual charade in a game with hidden loyalties). Anders is fine b/c once it takes place on his first turn, you won't ever have to worry about it.

*non-gamers is really the better term in this case, as I've seen newbies to BSG, but not complex games pick up and track things with very good level of expertise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad best
United Kingdom
hereford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
apologies I can't edit it now and missed making the two helo's different. I will edit the first post to help some what.
SORRY!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.