Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Prior
United Kingdom
Littleport
Cambs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I have now played cyclades enough times to give a firm review on this game. I have got the hades expansion but I have not played with it yet but will do soon.

Cyclades looks like a bit of a complicated beast at first, especially when explaining the rules to new players, after a few turns its all clear and you can move on with your path to victory. This is where I think cyclades is fantastic. The ultimate goal of building two metropolis is the same for everyone but the way you go about it can be done in many different ways. You could be aggressive and take over someone's hard earned metropolis that they built through peaceful means, or you can use all manor of fantasy creatures to give you the edge or take the edge away from your opponents. I am a big fan of Greek mythology and this game is theme theme theme, all the I've your looking at the possibility of what god will help you most or if a mythical beast can benefit you in some crafty or brutal way.

I often find when we are nearing the middle of a game I think, god this game is going to really take a while and then suddenly 3/4 turns later your crowning a victor or realising that they are moments away and you must act to stop them. We often find our games have some very climactic finishes with 2/3 people making a dash for victory and potentially harming themselves to the point that an unexpected sneakster swoops in through the fog of war to grab victory.

Having not only a classic area control/warfare game on the board but the mix of the auction mechanic to curry the favour of the gods is inspired and really is what sets this game apart. Figuring out which god will either aid you most or which god to go for to ensure your opponent can not grab it makes for fantastic alliances around the table that are quickly forgotten about in the end game.

The components are fantastic, and the theme shines through in the game, I look forward to adding hades to the mix and seeing what it brings to it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Armand
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lukewild1982 wrote:
I look forward to adding hades to the mix and seeing what it brings to it

The merge between the base game and the expansion is seamless. The added complexity in terms of rules is basically nil. The added options for creative play are exponential. I'll be surprised if you don't love it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.