Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure how to interpret this sentence in the rules: "Players who are unable to draw one card instead take 2 Aurei from the bank and take their further actions (buy card, play cards and collect income)." [bold type is rules emphasis not mine]

For the sake of argument assume the scenario with one card remaining in the draw deck and two players still to take their turn.

I realise what the second part of the sentence means - that both players will still be able to buy/play/collect after their incomplete 'draw card' phase is over. I also realise that the first player will begin his turn by drawing the remaining card and either adding it to his hand or below a Legion Card (returning it to the deck would be pretty pointless because he would simply redraw it as his second draw). What I'm not sure about is how many Aurei these two players take during the draw phase.

Interpretation one: Players who during their draw phase are unable even to draw a single card instead take 2 Aurei. First player gets 0 (in the draw phase) and second player gets 2.

Interpretation two: Players who need to draw a card but are unable to do so instead take 2 Aurei and end their draw phase, moving on to their further actions. First player gets 2 and second player gets 2.

Interpretation three: Each time a player needs to draw a card but is unable to do so he takes 2 Aurei instead. First player gets 4. Second player gets 6.

Is there any official clarification of this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
mathmethman wrote:
Is there any official clarification of this?

Yes. Twice.

tl;dr: If you can draw any cards, treat it like a normal turn, although you may not get to do one of the actions. This is okay. If the deck is completely empty, you get $2 instead of drawing any cards.

(edited to correct first link; thanks, mik!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Cockburn
United Kingdom
Sleaford
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for pointing me to the answer. I had searched for but not found the right thread.

So - interpretation one (0 Aurei if you can draw at least one card; 2 Aurei if the deck is empty) has the blessing of the designer.

And I learned a new rule too (also from the designer's own mouth): When you have each taken a turn, you still perform the end of round action in which you add the most valuable set of cards to Rome's strength. This is definitely not clear in the rules, which state that "The game ends as soon as all players have taken their turns." But I'll take Bernd's word over the written rules. It's like Chico Marx said - “Who you gonna believe? Me, or your own eyes?”

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Eisenstein
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Paul!

Yes, both is correct :-)

Many greetings
Bernd

www.irongames.de
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.