Capcom Co., Ltd.» Forums » News

Subject: Capcom Revising Future Operations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Forbidding
United States
flag msg tools
admin
Animals are reliable, many full of love, true in their affections, predictable in their actions, grateful and loyal. Difficult standards for people to live up to. –Alfred A. Montapert
badge
These computers on our desks are turning into portals to other realms of existence…realms that will one day be preferred to earth. –Edward Castronova
mbmbmbmbmb
Capcom is revising its future operations after numbers failed to meet their initial targets. Resident Evil 6 was downgraded in December of last year from a projected 7 million sales to 5 million and has now been dropped to 4.9 million. DmC Devil May Cry was originally projected at 2 million but has since been lowered to 1.15 million. In light of these disappointing sales Capcom has blamed the problem on "a decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing", "delayed response to the expanding digital contents market", and "insufficient coordination between marketing and game development divisions in overseas markets".

Capcom is now re-evaluating games that are in-progress and moving to in-house development. They explained that certain titles would be discontinued either due to an "inability to respond to market needs" or in the case of outsourced games, "not being compatible with current business strategy". They plan to fix the perceived problem by "raising the quality of their games", "improve global communication between development and marketing divisions" and getting a stronger hold onto the digital market by an "increase in and promotion of DLC (downloadable content)".

Capcom has not yet given any names on the titles that are being considered for cancellation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I totally don't get why there might be declining sales for Resident Evil SIX or (essentially) Devil May Cry FIVE.

Heads up, game companies--we want new stuff. Video game sequels are devolving into self-parody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Forbidding wrote:
Resident Evil 6 was downgraded in December of last year from a projected 7 million sales to 5 million and has now been dropped to 4.9 million. DmC Devil May Cry was originally projected at 2 million but has since been lowered to 1.15 million. In light of these disappointing sales

What a world where 5 million units sold (at $60 each?) is cause for alarm. (I know, I know, it's way below projections, but still.)

Forbidding wrote:
Capcom has blamed the problem on "a decline in quality due to excessive outsourcing"...Capcom is now re-evaluating games that are in-progress and moving to in-house development...They plan to fix the perceived problem by "raising the quality of their games"

Wow, that's great news. I mostly like Capcom's 2D platformers and fighting games. I was disappointed by the recent Mega Man games, and do not expect to like any of the recent Street Fighter games (the new Vs. ones are better, but still seem to lack the balance and polish of the older SF games). All of those were outsourced development.

Course, I'm sure the people who made the games of theirs I love have moved on, so I guess that in itself isn't an indication that quality will naturally increase.

Forbidding wrote:
and getting a stronger hold onto the digital market by an "increase in and promotion of DLC (downloadable content)".

...And they lost me. Has anyone ever not bought a game because there wasn't enough paid DLC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoic Bird
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Yeah, I totally don't get why there might be declining sales for Resident Evil SIX or (essentially) Devil May Cry FIVE.

Heads up, game companies--we want new stuff. Video game sequels are devolving into self-parody.

I think it depends on who "we" is.

I agree with you 100%, but new IP generally hasn't sold well the last, I don't know, decade or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

I'd like to see some new franchises myself, but sales numbers starkly disagree that "we" want new stuff, "we", collectively, want the old stuff, repackaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken B.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

I'd like to see some new franchises myself, but sales numbers starkly disagree that "we" want new stuff, "we", collectively, want the old stuff, repackaged.

Yeah, I guess you're right on that front. "We" the gaming enthusiasts always crave new genres and new experiences, but the general public, maybe not so much.

Then again, if the general public were still gobbling up the same ol' same ol', then sales wouldn't have disappointed them. So maybe the worm is turning? One can only hope.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
franklincobb wrote:

Yeah, I guess you're right on that front. "We" the gaming enthusiasts always crave new genres and new experiences, but the general public, maybe not so much.

Then again, if the general public were still gobbling up the same ol' same ol', then sales wouldn't have disappointed them. So maybe the worm is turning? One can only hope.

I literally, between writing my comment and reading this one, just watched this, it's not specific to Capcom, but it makes a good point about where some of the disappointment on the publishers' side comes from.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Birzer
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
franklincobb wrote:

I find that there is a cognitive dissonance when it comes to fans and new genres. There certainly seems to be a desire for it, but there is always a lot of interest in the same ol genres because fans know what they are getting in general with those. (Even if it doesn't always meet with expectations.

Quote:

When RE6 sells 5 million copies, there is plenty of demand. The problem, as the video above points out, is that budgets for these games are out of whack with reality. As the video above points out, there is no way that the sales figures for these games should have been disappointing when they sold in the millions of copies.

Game companies are not Hollywood. Hollywood can spend millions on movies because they have many ways to get their money back, while game companies depend on enough people shelling out $60 a pop for a game. It isn't a model that is sustainable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flamin_Jesus wrote:

Which makes me wonder how many copies the PS3 Resident Evil 6 Anthology edition sold, and if it was counted with the regular edition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.